Ultimate Subaru Message Board

couldn't find an answer searching, maybe one of you Mekanix know.

just bought a 99 OBW, 2.5 70K, i have no history on the car, today i was under it poking around and i observerd red spray tack sealer by the HG.

does anyone know if Subaru used this, or perhaps have the HG's been done.

nothing...it was up right next to the HG, i was looking to see if there was any seepage. it looks like overspray, like someone used a little tack spray to hold the head gasket in place

i hope not. Those surfaces have to be clean as a operating room otherwise you will blow a gasket really fast. Are you sure its not overspray from rust protection?

i hope not. Those surfaces have to be clean as a operating room otherwise you will blow a gasket really fast. Are you sure its not overspray from rust protection?

no...the rustproofing is brown and ugly, i've used a lot of the red spray tack...and that's what it looks like, makes me think maybe the heads have been off of this thing.

no...the rustproofing is brown and ugly, i've used a lot of the red spray tack...and that's what it looks like, makes me think maybe the heads have been off of this thing.

There is no reason for tack spray on these headgaskets, and it only makes a new path for a compression leak. Rodney, could you send me an email in the address that can be found beneath my name? I'd like to take a look at that and see what can be done about it.

• 4 weeks later...

well, i finally got the car back on a rack, got in there and looked with a flashlight, there is a little tab of headgasket sticking out, and on both sides there is definitly red spray tac on the gaskets, as well as on some other gaskets i could see. so i'm pretty sure there are new headgaskets in there.....wish i could find the previous owners and ask

well, i finally got the car back on a rack, got in there and looked with a flashlight, there is a little tab of headgasket sticking out, and on both sides there is definitly red spray tac on the gaskets, as well as on some other gaskets i could see. so i'm pretty sure there are new headgaskets in there.....wish i could find the previous owners and ask

Sounds likely, as the 97-99 DOHC blew HGs like crazy.

The previous owner lost 2-3 grands and lost his/her love for subaru.

what's the best way to clean off the old headgasket material? I used a dremmel tool... started noticing metal shavings, and stopped immediately. as far as I can tell with a straight edge, I haven't done anything... or have I? I really pray that I didn't, lol. I've been using a paint scraper on the rest of it and am being very VERY carefly... is this okay? do the surfaces have to look like new for the gasket to seal properly? Thanks for the info.

A dremel tool and a paint scraper? Heavens to Mergatroid! :eek:

Let me suggest a small piece of the red scotchbright pad and a can of carb cleaner. Wet the pad with the carb cleaner and then go easy with the pad---you don't need much pressure scrubbing with the pad----the stuff will come off really easy! Let the very light abrasion and the chemicals do the work FOR you!!

Before:

IMG_0669.jpg

After !

IMG_0692.jpg

Note---same trick on the surface of the idler bearings for the timing belt! The intake manifold gasket area, the exhaust gasket area, the water pump area....the scotchbright and carb cleaner with a LOT of paper towels and you're golden!

did I ruin my heads? lol.... even after spending hours on mine, it looks nothing like that. i'm gonna go out and get some scotch pads... lol.

BAD BAD BAD !

If you have a steel rule (not wood) run the rule along the surface and see how much damage you have done. If i was you il'd take your heads to a machine shop and have the surfaces checked. Depending upon how deep a gauge you put in the head, you may have ruined the machined surface. Best case scenario is that they may have to mill a few mills off the head to even it out, worse case scenario is you need to replace the head. It sounds like it may be saveable. Those surfaces need to be as smooth as class, and dead flat.

NEVER use anything aggresive on a machined surface to clean it.

nipper

i'd have a machine shop do the heads, most likely they will mill them no problem. be sure to tell them what you did so they can be mindful of that while checking them.

did you dremel tool the block too or just the heads? this is a terrible suggestion but worse case scenario you could get very fine body work sandpaper and gently go over any knicks or cuts in the metal. focus only on ones that interfere with suspect areas of the block/heads and gasket. this isn't recommended at all for head gasket mating surfaces but if the surface is uneven in anyway, you'd at least want it smooth, you'd introduce a slight warp to the block or head, but better than a compromised spot in the form of a gouge or knick. depends where the marks are too....if you removed metal right at a water jacket or something that would suck. again...horrible idea and i can't see the heads, but if they are really bad then i'd opt for a smooth head over one that's gouged.

that picture of the block looks mighty clean. the older generation head gaskets are usually clumped on there and leave permanent impressions in the block.

the blocks/heads i've pulled on higher mileage motors are much more caked on and very hard to clean up. worst part of the head gasket job to me is the clean up. no cleaner, scotch pad, chemical solution has helped more than a tiny bit so far. i hope the newer ones are all as easy as those pictures as i haven't had to do one yet! it's worth the machine shop time on the heads just to let them clean it up then i only worry about the block.