Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Touring Wagons

When is the last time you saw a touring wagon for sale?

A while back, at least 5 yrs, I saw a 2 tone blue one in the junkyard. It was turbo 4wd with the diff lock, adjustable ride height and seemingly every other option. The touring wagons didn't get sunroofs right? Anyway, since I have been back on the board I think I have only seen 1 or 2 for sale and one of those was 2wd.

I was just wondering how rare they are.

My daily driver is a 89GL-10 turbo touring wagon FWD auto model. Spent most of it's life in salt country so it has a bit of cancer. Previous owner bought it new. Had 132K on the clock when I got it last year and I just started driving it two weeks ago when I sold Preacher (91 Legacy). Stumpy

We have what looks to be a 98 legacy touring wagon in the shop right now. I didnt notice it until I pulled a reg legacy wagon up next to it and then it brought out the raised roof on the 98.

I have never seen a EA82 touring wagon. I dont think many of them were sold in alaska.

I have an 89 GL-10 Touring wagon. Its was a fulltime AWD auto but now is a fulltime AWD 5-spd. It had the air struts on it but I replaced them with regular ones. Mine had a manual sunroof too. I have some pictures of it in the photo part of this site.

Does yours have the "diff lock" ? I don't know if that came with all fulltime 4wd cars or not.

Sounds like a sweet car you got!

There was a dealer-installed option for a manual, flip-up roof that only opens an inch or two. Power sliders were never available.

I know of at least 2 surviving touring wagons in CT--a white 5-speed d/r GL and a red automatic pushbutton GL. There's also a white Loyale touring wagon running around near Granby/Ludlow Mass. that I see from time to time.

The white GL has around 210K? on it now. It belongs to Paul's family.

The red one is pretty badly rotted and was in a single car accident in NH (deer). It's in my backyard.

Paul also parted a red d/r GL about 2 years ago. So that brings the total in this area to 4 that I know of personally.

I did see a Legacy GT Touring wagon, maroon, for sale about 6 months ago. Other than that I can't say I really notice Legacies...although aren't all Outbacks "touring" wagons?

There was a sweet one around here back in the day. It was white with white wagon wheels. The thing about the wheels though is that they looked just like normal sube wagons wheels but the center caps had an "S" in the middle on a black background instead of the subaru emblem over orange or blue.

Anyway, it was nice. i can't remember if it was a Loyale or not. It was 4wd and I think I looked through the window and saw a d/r shifter. Its easily been 10 yrs.

hmmm.... I wonder if you could have special ordered it. The car struck me as having some features that did not seem all that common. I didn't think that you could get wagon wheels on the top of the line cars in 89 either.

If I remember correctly, the grill was white (matching the body color). Would this have made it a loyale?

No, body color grilles were standard as of '87...maybe a custom job? JDM wheels? You've got me on the wagon wheels.

"Subaru" on the back and "Loyale" on the side mouldings; cheesy DL-style upholstery; lack of cargo area light = Loyale.

Analog dash and (I think) dual-range would be GL. GL Turbos would have had a pushbutton 4WD setup.

GL-10s will have a digital dash, full-time 4WD automatic or 5-speed with a locking center diff in '89, as well as 8 cloth-covered buttons on each seat. Brown, blue or gray upholstery--full cloth (white would have had a blue interior).

My cherry red 89 T-Wag is a GL-10 Turbo.

Started off as a 2wd A/T, but is now a D/R 5 speed.

Standard equipment on GL10's: digi dash, deluxe interior, trip computer, upgraded stereo.

Not Standard Equipment on these cars: factory sunroof, alloy wheels, body colored grille.

Wish I had some pix to share. This one is my pride and joy...

John

Not Standard Equipment on these cars: factory sunroof, alloy wheels, body colored grille.

John

Mine has the the body colored grille and factory subi aloy wheels with black lug nuts. The aloys are in the shed right now as they had leaks and my parts car had better tires with out issues. I didn't realize how rare they were until flowmastered informed me one day when he was here dropping off parts. Stumpy

Mine has the the body colored grille and factory subi aloy wheels with black lug nuts. The aloys are in the shed right now as they had leaks and my parts car had better tires with out issues. I didn't realize how rare they were until flowmastered informed me one day when he was here dropping off parts. Stumpy

Yeah, you'd think a car like the GL10, would be loaded to the hilt. Not the case (with the 2wds - at least).

Just curious, which style alloys came with your car?

Mine (an 89 model) originally came with hubcaps. I replaced those with a set of "motion" alloys, which is one of 3 styles of alloys correct for that year.

As far as the grill, it is body color with black bars in the middle. Not sure if this is what you mean by "body color".

John

factory sunroof, alloy wheels, body colored grille

All EA82s '87 on up came with a body-color grille. Alloys were never standard on anything until the XT6 came out. And once again, a factory sunroof would have to slide down from the opening above the driver/front passenger's heads and into a lower compartment above the rear passengers--just like a regular GL-10 with a factory (standard) sunroof. What's the point in having a standard sunroof when you're getting the Touring package for the extra headroom?! That's why the flip-up dealer installs were so popular...headroom in the rear and fresh air up front.

Also, there were 2 Touring wagons in CT, he was selling the runner with another '90 parts car. I forgot about those.

As far as the grill, it is body color with black bars in the middle. Not sure if this is what you mean by "body color".

John

Mine is a 89 also. Cheesmoalloy2.jpgCheesmoalloy1.jpg Here are a couple of the stock alloys.

The entire grill is body color except the subi emblem. Stumpy

Yeah, you'd think a car like the GL10, would be loaded to the hilt. Not the case (with the 2wds - at least).

Mine (an 89 model) originally came with hubcaps. I replaced those with a set of "motion" alloys, which is one of 3 styles of alloys correct for that year.

John

When I got my Touring wagon it had the motion alloys.

I just bought a Touring Wagon about a month ago locally for $250, it is wrecked slightly in the driver's front fender & driver's side of the bumper. It's white with blue interior, 5 spd with selective 4wd, and runs well - 215K and it was sitting for a year. Didn't realize they were so rare at first, but then after seeing this thread I remembered last Thursday or Friday seeing another white touring wagon just like mine going the other way in our small hick town. Weird in retrospect, after reading this thread.

Mine is a 89 also. Cheesmoalloy2.jpgCheesmoalloy1.jpg Here are a couple of the stock alloys.

The entire grill is body color except the subi emblem. Stumpy

I have a set of those too...Came off an 89 GL AWD AT turbo...just a notch below the gl 10's in terms of trim level.

Wonder why my 89 doesn't have the full body colored grill everyone else seems to have??? My T-Wag is all original except for the d/r conversion and motion alloys, BTW.

John