Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical Weirdness

My stop warning light keeps coming on in my dashboard (84 ea81 touring wagon) when I use my brakes. I know the brake lights are working. Any ideas, it is rather off putting.

Could it be the relay for this circuit? The previous owner did splice in a back window brake light, could this cause it?

My stop warning light keeps coming on in my dashboard (84 ea81 touring wagon) when I use my brakes. I know the brake lights are working. Any ideas, it is rather off putting.

/quote]

mine does the same. check your taillight clsuter ground wires and wiring in general, plus make sure your bulbs arent futzed. Low voltage load, ( ie a busted bulb or bad connection will make your Suub upset and flash idiot lights at you. I havent bothered to fix mine because my tail/brake lights are fine. Im assuming its an average-to-bad ground wire.

... The previous owner did splice in a back window brake light, could this cause it?

Yes! I Think So...

Check for Short-Circuited Loose Cable or Somethin´ like That. If he attach the Back Window Brake Light Cable to the Tail Light itself, it´s almost for sure that is the origin of the Trouble...

...But there´s another Weird Possibility: if the Left and the Right break lights Aren´t of the Same Ressistance... Let me Explain:

As a Example: in the Directional lights, if you got all the bulbs of the same ressistance (Ohms / Watts) when you pull the stick to left or right, they will flash at the same speed in Right or Left position.

If one of the bulbs gets burnt, for example the Left, then in the Left circuit will be Less Ressistance, so the Speed of the Flashing action will be double fast or so for the Left, compared with the right side. The same occurs when in Front you have a much brighter light than in the Rear of one side circuit, and in the other side both are the same; then one side would be Faster than the Other in Flashin´...

So, if you got in the Brake lights, different ressistance bulbs, for example: Left with normal 32CP ( 7 / 15 Watts ) and in the Right 21CP ( 5 / 10 Watts ) maybe -Just Maybe- that is the Origin of the Problem.

Check this, maybe it´s a Easy Fix... Try to buy a Pair of identical bulbs for both tail lights...

Good Luck!

:)

Thanks all for your replies. I should have been more specific, the fluid is fine, it is not the brake fluid warning light, it is the stop light warning light. It is telling me that my brake lights are not working, yet they are! Maybe they are working 'just' and there is a loose or poor connection. I suspect this as the stop warning light is not on every time i use brakes, just intermittently (every 2-3 times i use brake). I will try cleaning up the connections and check bulb resistance. In fact might check all bulbs as indicators seem a bit fast as well. Thanks everyone, any more ideas welcome