Ultimate Subaru Message Board

well... still not runnin

so general disorder came by today and helped me time everything. so my engine is timed and so is the disty. still wont start. turns over and cranks but has a grinding noise. almost like theres no oil. hmmm... changing oil pump tomorrow hopefully that does something. any suggestions?

F.A.S.T.- fuel, air, spark, timing.

It sounds like there is plenty of spark because you were able to time it.

Did you try dumping a tablespoon or so of gas down the throttlebody?

Oil pressure, it should start without oil pressure. The scraping concerns me though. Did it do this before? What maintenance has been done on it most recently? Does the scraping come from the starter or another part of the engine? Is the engine cranking fast enough to start if everything else was ok?

What I would do- Find out where the scraping is coming from, front of engine, rear, starter, whatever.

Make sure it has enough oil; take some starting fluid and spray a little in the throttlebody. Crank the engine and watch the oil pressure gauge. You should get the gauge to move even if it doesn't start.

We need a little more info to help you get this thing back on the road.

Warning, do not use starting fluid on any gas engine, ether, (starting fluid), will break pistons, bend rods, blow the oil pan and or valve covers off, use carb cleaner or gas, if the engine wont fire find out whats wrong, (no spark, fuel, timing, etc) I have a shelf of parts, NG from engines that people have tried to start with ether. any car that comes into my shop with starting fluid cans in it, the starting fluid gets thrown away and the owner is warned that any engine repairs have no warranty. my 2% JR

Engine came from a wrecked Loyale - no history on it other than it was wrecked at about 260k miles. Ran after it hit the tree, but the fan shroud punctured the oil filter - they were drunk apparently, and drove it more after that.... radiator was also pretty nuked. Hard to say really, but it was free :)

Engine does have compression, but no oil pressure. It's been sitting for over a year. Even with the plugs out we could not get the oil pressure guage to rise. This could be the sender, or the pump, but even with a LOT of cranking with no plugs the new oil filter was still dry even with a full crankcase of oil. No leaks. Filled the filter to try and prime the system but still can't get the guage to rise. After that I had to leave, but I sugested he put the oil pump from his old engine on this block along with the sender to see if he can get some oil pressure out of it.

It cranks and fires a tiny bit, but won't kick over like it should. The scraping noise sounds internal - like dry cylinder walls or dry main bearings - exactly what I would expect for no oil pressure. I suspect that she doesn't have enough compression to fire due to the dry state of everything. Hard to say tho - it's got spark for sure - timed correctly I'm pretty sure. Carb was on the old engine so that shouldn't be a problem, and we can smell gas. No lack of air.

Turns over a bit labored - again - like the engine is dry inside.

GD

hows your fuel pressure? have you pulled a plug cable.. cranked it with a extra spark plug in it sitting on something metalic? it sparks fo schizzle right? does the maf test correctly? fuel injected?

beyond that... something could be broke.. ill see if i have another oil pressure gauge sittin around... i know i got the fittings..

if you need use of a fuel pressure gauge, timing light, etc.. let me know,

ill be in vancouver tomorrow afternoon..

360-798-0649 Paul

rllywgn

thanks for all the response. Sorry i couldnt get back to you sooner. Yeah like GD said compression test probally would help. i'll be avalibvle anytime after 3:30. call me for directions. (360)513-8905. GD nows more about the engine itself then i do. he gave it to me. i just hooked stuff up to the best of my abillity. i'll probally change the oil pump over tomorrow. If anyone else thinks they know whats wrong please help. I think i'll even chip in a award to anyone that can get it started and runnin. say $50 and a dinner?