Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help placing a value on my subie.

I got rear-ended last week and the insurance company says it is totalled. It is an '86 GL 4WD Wagon in excellent shape. All the glass is good, the interior is good, everything works, etc. It does not have power windows or locks. It has 178,000 miles, but only 16,000 on a factory new engine and clutch. Rear shocks were done 4 months ago as were the front bearings and one front CV. Also, this car has NO RUST! Hard to believe, I know, but there isn't any rust in any of the wheel wells. That was a big reason why the decision was made to put the engine in. The insurance company is offering me around $1500. Does this sound reasonable? The motor and clutch cost a little under $3000.

I'm thinking they should give me a little more credit for the engine than they are.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If push comes to shove and it likely will, have them find you a replacement vehicle in similar condition....not likely they can. Assuming the frame isn't bent it should be repairable for the amount that they are offering you. Good luck with it.

big question is whether the accident is your fault or not. if it is then well that's trickier, doable but you gotta be on them alot to get anywhere.

if the accident wasn't you fault (which it sounds like it isnt), you can get whatever you want out of them. depends how good and aggressive you want to be. they want most people to scower under the thought of big companies, paper work, and "the system". they want you to believe whatever they tell you, what it's worth etc. they will string you along. demand they fix it and they. my boss had this happen. old VW that looked like an average 20 year old car. he had completely rebuilt the engine and other items himself. they said "totalled"....$800 or something. he battled with them and got his car fixed...eventhough it was thousands of dollars. but he was a hard a$$ on them and threatened lawsuit...in a creative way i'm sure.

good luck, if it wasn't your fault don't settle for getting screwed.

Thanks for the tips. It definitely wasn't my fault. Especially because I was in the passenger seat :D The wife was driving, stopped in a 35mph zone for two fire engines to cross our path and our family of 4 got plowed by a Ford F-250. I was the only one that got any injury and that was minor; a slightly tweaked neck. The repair estimate I got was for about $3000, but that was for new parts. I was able to get matching parts thanks to mtnman38 and can get it fixed for less than they are offering, but the rear will be pulled and pounded instead of being replaced.

It just irks me that they think it is only worth that despite its excellent mechanical condition.

PICT0071.JPG

thats probly the best route, take the insurance money, do a backyard fix, and drive it around with the salvage title.

book on these old subarus usually isn`t high, the ebay market usually is though. book value on a brat in exellent shape is around $1500, but go on ebay and try to find a exellent brat for under 3800 or so:eek: i wish insurance companies went through ebay pricing:rolleyes:

they dont consider mechanical replacements for value.. doesnt matter how much you spent fixing it honestly... car isnt gonna run without a motor, there was one there from the factory..

what you do get credit for, if it was damaged, is aftermarket accesories (custom wheels, stereo's, etc.)

it sucks... yes.. try to look through advertisements find the highest selling comprable models and show them that.. they usually base on market value of same or similar vehicles

good luck

rllywgn