Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hydrolic lifters?

Hi out there. I have an '86 Brat and valves are a little noisy. One service manual I have says this model has hydrolic lifters (no adj.) another manual says the '86 Brat has solid lifters and needs adjusting. Anyone have correct info on this? mtn.man

Unless, someone swapped the engine, it should be hydraulic lifters and do not need adjustment. There should be a label to that effect on the valve covers. Also, the non-hydraulic valve covers are rectangular in shape whereas the hydraulic ones have the rear edge slanted at about a 40 degree angle.

If you do have hydraulic adjusters, you probably need to clean them up. There are numerous posts here about TOD, or tick of death. That's what it's called, but it's really not serious other than being loud and annoying. You can put a half quart to a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase and run it at 3000+ RPMs for a few miles, and it will probably take care of it.

NOTE: Marvel Mystery Oil is my preference; it's worked well for me on several engines, but other products are also available, like seafoam or even ATF.

The EA81 hydro's are not prone to the same ticking that the EA82's are. The lifters are not above the heads, and thus they have much better oil flow, no o-ring to harden and crack, and no pressure relief spring to give out.

The write up on cleaning lifters will not apply directly to the EA81 lifters - they are a different design, and are not assembled in the same way. They can be dissasembled, but it's not the same procedure.

Likely you need a new oil pump - if the oil pressure is bad enough for the lifters to tick, then it's a good sign that you need a NEW pump. It's not like the EA82's where you can just reseal the old pump. The EA81 pumps wear out, and want replacing about every 100k or so. If this is neglected, the mains, and rods will wear. My Brat has a permanent imbalance due to a worn main from the PO not changing the oil pump. It's not getting any worse now that it has decent pressure, but it's still annoying at idle and will require a rebuild to correct.

On an EA81 - if you don't get at least 20 psi at idle with 10w30 oil, then it's time for a new pump. Test your pressure with a real gauge as the dash units are suspect as are the cheapo sending units. A newly rebuilt EA81 will push easily 25 psi at idle, and 60 psi at cruise, and will peg the gauge at 75 when started cold.

GD

If you do have hydraulic adjusters, you probably need to clean them up. ...

yes I agree. But let me tell ya Somethin´: The Oil Pump on the Subaru´s EA82 is moved by one of the Timin´ Belts, instead of the main axle of the engine, as used in almost all other engine designs, so it make an oil pump to rev. at double speed than the pistons (Valves Speed) so it only last about 100,000 Miles (About 10 Years of Use).

So, I just changed the Core of the Oil Pump (Oil pump Kit) and the noise did go. That´s All.

But in the other hand, I did help a friend with a Hatchback EA82 that was too noisy, and the previous owner did drive it like that for two or three years! ...

So, Along with the Oil pump change, we did that Subarian Said: Clean Them Up!, and that got fixed any noisy lifter.

But, due to the serious wear on it´s lifters, my friend´s subie always is noisy when it is first started first time on the day. Or when it´s cold. then in few minutes, noise is gone.

Good Luck! :)

This was discussed earlier in the thread. Only the earlier model EA81s are solid lifters. New model EA81s have hydro lifters.

Here's the scoop:

80-82 - Solid

83-84 Manual Tranny - Solid

83-84 Auto Tranny - Hydro

85-89 - Hydro

And for good measure, the two head types:

80-82 - Small Intake Valve

83-89 - Large Intake Valve

Also - it's not *just the lifters that are different - the cam, pushrods, and rocker assembly are too.

GD

i so want in on this......edrach ,will the rectangular valve covers fit on a non hydraulic and vice versa?i have three motors downstairs and all of them have the slant at the back of the valve cover.if what you are saying is true then i can start working on them.cause i have extra parts.how do you tell internally?and yes i searched earlier on this.any help is appreciated.later........

Oh Man! I´m soo Sorry about the aparent confusion, but I was thinkin´ that maybe the Oil Pump Issue can apply to the Hidraulic Lifter Version of the EA81 Engine... :confused:

...I was just tryin´ to help.

No - your help is appreciated - just wanted everyone else to know that the information isn't quite the same for the EA81. The oil pump issue applies.... sort of. Not the same pump or the same lifters, and completely different oil supply system.

GD

i so want in on this......edrach ,will the rectangular valve covers fit on a non hydraulic and vice versa?i have three motors downstairs and all of them have the slant at the back of the valve cover.if what you are saying is true then i can start working on them.cause i have extra parts.how do you tell internally?and yes i searched earlier on this.any help is appreciated.later........
The rectangular valve covers fit on the early solid lifter engines. No the valve covers will not interchange with the hydraulic engines and vice-versa. It sounds like all three of your engines are the hydraulic type. There should be a small label on the valve covers indicating that.

If I might add.

Some times (on many different cars I have worked on) a tappit sounding noise can be a exhuast gasket leak. I know this for sure because I have had it on my Brat, on my brothers 2.2 turbo mazda 626 and on a EA82. It sounds just like tappits, but is just an exhaust leak.