Ultimate Subaru Message Board

:headbang: I recently purchased a '06 Baja Turbo. It has no boost gauge, and I didn't see one as an option. I noticed that you can buy one from Subaru, but it seems strange to me that it was not standard equipment on a turbo (or at least offered as an option). Is this true for all Subaru turbo's? I know some of you guys have installed them, but did any of the WRX or STI's come equipped with a boost gauge? I mean my old '85 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe had a factory boost gauge!

Also, is it worth it to buy an aftermarket gauge and install it? I mean I know it has a certain 'coolness' factor;)! How many PSI of boost should my Baja be running, and any recommendations on a gauge? If I got one, what kind of 'range' should I look for on the gauge? Also, how difficult is installation, and any advice on installation location? I saw someone had installed one on the steering coulmn, but it seemed like it blocked the view of some of the gauges on the right side.

Thanks in advance for any respose!

Spacinjason:burnout:

WRXs have boost gauges as an option, it's the one that mounts to the left side of the steering column. I really question the accuracy of any stock gauge, though. If you're not planning on tuning your Baja for more power (i.e. turning up the boost) a boost gauge is probably unnecessary, except for the "cool" factor.

:headbang: Thanks for the responses guys. I was just kind of surprised that a gauge was not offered as an option in my Baja turbo. If I ever did get one installed, it would be mainly for the 'coolness' factor. I plan on leaving my rig pretty much stock and don't really care about gas mileage(as long as I'm getting around 20 mpg I'm happy). If I cared about mpg, I would quit driving with a heavy foot!

How difficult is it to install a turbo boost gauge? Any recommendations on a certain brand? I would like to have one that compliments the interior and doesn't look out of place. Also one that lights up the same color as the rest of the gauges. Thanks in advance for any replies!:)

How about the OEM Subaru one?

Try looking around this thread on nasioc.com for some ideas.

:headbang: Yeah I considered an OEM gauge as it would match my interior and light up the same as my other gauges, but like SAMO said, I question the accuracy of stock gauges, plus I have to wonder what kind of price Subaru would want for thier stock gauge. An aftermarket one maybe more affordable/accurate.

Thanks for the link kevinsUBARU, I will check that out as soon as I'm done here!

OEM Gauge + OEM Mounting Location = Blocked Instrument Cluster. My STi had one installed against my will at port. It blocked part of the instrument cluster including the outside air temp display. A boost gauge is nice for helping manage fuel economy, but by far isn't a necessity. I don't have one on my 05 Legacy GT, and don't feel a need for one at this point. If you plan on making mods to the car for power, then it's a must.

Keith

There is a STI gauge pack that includes a boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, and oil temp gauge. For an '06 OBXT it goes in the cubby between the air vents, same place where the NAV goes. I don't know if that works for Bajas. Check with the Subaru parts folks.

There is a STI gauge pack that includes a boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, and oil temp gauge. For an '06 OBXT it goes in the cubby between the air vents, same place where the NAV goes. I don't know if that works for Bajas. Check with the Subaru parts folks.

That setup is very nice looking. The only problem is the price. I seem to think it was over $600.

Keith