Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grinding sensation when taking off

Just purchased a 2001 Outback LL Bean with the H6. It has 41k miles on it. I love it and I'm so happy that the troublesome German mistress (Audi A4) is out of my life.

There's one thing I didn't notice during my test drive, but I do now. When taking off from a stop, I can feel a vibration in the gas pedal. It feels like something is grinding. Is this a problem that anyone recognizes?

gas pedal huh? odd Any general vibration such that a passenger could hear or feel? Any odd sensations when making low speed tight turns as in parking? brake pedal feel OK when braking?

I suppose something causing engine vibration could be transmitted through the throttle cable. maybe bad motor mount?

I dunno

Carl

Nope, it's not related to turning corners.

I'm trying to think if I can feel it in the seat or steering wheel too, it's certainly most noticeable in the gas pedal, and it's only during that initial period of taking off that I feel it. If I take off slowly I notice it the whole time until the rpm's get high enough (not quite sure at what rpm it goes away).

It's as smooth as can be when driving.

Nope, it's not related to turning corners.

I'm trying to think if I can feel it in the seat or steering wheel too, it's certainly most noticeable in the gas pedal, and it's only during that initial period of taking off that I feel it. If I take off slowly I notice it the whole time until the rpm's get high enough (not quite sure at what rpm it goes away).

It's as smooth as can be when driving.

Could someone, carefully and safely, pace the car while listening at each corner and perhaps hear something? Or could you roll down the windows and drive near a wall/fence and listen for anything odd?

After driving for some distance, try feeling of the wheels and comparing the temps all around. In case there's a sticking caliper, one wheel might be warmer. I dunno

Carl

Just purchased a 2001 Outback LL Bean with the H6. It has 41k miles on it. I love it and I'm so happy that the troublesome German mistress (Audi A4) is out of my life.

There's one thing I didn't notice during my test drive, but I do now. When taking off from a stop, I can feel a vibration in the gas pedal. It feels like something is grinding. Is this a problem that anyone recognizes?

Check the obvious. inspect the cable and its clamps. DO you feel the vibration in the pedal itself, or on the floor at the pedal?

nipper

I have a "grinding" sound on my 91 Legacy ss at certain RPM's. Sometimes accelerating from a stop and especially on de-acceleration, but I know it's the heat shields on the exhaust, which is common for Subarus.

Have you tried revving the engine in neutral slowly to see if you hear a similar vibration or noise that might indicate something other than drivetrain vibs?

Mike