Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay, so we're probably going to sell my wife's car and get a Subaru with the proceeds--about $12,000. I know that I want a wagon. Reliability and low miles are probably the biggest priorities. I had a '96 Legacy that had some pretty expensive problems that I have since sold--I really want to stay away from expensive problems... What would you recommend? At this point, I'm thinking that a newer, base-model Legacy or Impreza would fit the bill nicely. First post here--all right!!!

I got a 2001 Legacy L wagon with 45k a little less than a year ago for about $12g. It's the base model with a 5-speed, power windows/locks, rear wiper, temp gauge, ect....really decent for a base model in my opinion. Quiet on the interstate at 70, and good manners for day to day driving...and it can handle some more "agressive" driving pretty ok as well:D

Good luck with the hunt!

Kevin

Okay, so we're probably going to sell my wife's car and get a Subaru with the proceeds--about $12,000. I know that I want a wagon. Reliability and low miles are probably the biggest priorities. I had a '96 !

What did she drive before? The Toyota Matrix wagon has been out for a few years in AWD but only comes in automatic.:mad:

Have you considered finding a gen 1 (90-94) Legacy with low miles (less than 100k)? You could get one for $3000, and with proper maintenance, it'll last another 150k-200k...and the purchase price plus all maintenance costs will be less than 12 grand. If you're worried about "expensive repairs", consider the cost of blowing a timing belt or a head gasket on one of the newer motors. The gen 1 EJ22 is not damaged by a blown timing belt, and is generally a lot less prone to headgasket failure than the newer motors.

I'd really like to get one of the later models (definitely 2000 or after), and I guess I'd like to not have to save the money for when the car needs repairs (I'm sure I'd blow the money before then :banana: ). Oh, and we're thinking we may now be able to go up to $15k. That would mean selling my car instead of hers.

Man, finding just the used Subaru you want is a pain in the butt. I guess people are generally just so happy with them that they keep them...

By the way--do people know what years the body style changes were for the various models (Legacy, Impreza, Forester)? Might be helpful to know that in my search.

As a side note, the car that I am coming from is a 2006 Scion XB. We bought it because it was the most prudent choice financially. I bet that thing'll run forever and treat us great. It just seems to have no soul, however--that's why I want to go back to a Suby. It's what my father had, what my brother has, and what I've had most of my life. Kind of like a best friend--that's how it feels to me. Am I strange, or what?

So, in the $12-15k range, are there any out of the three base models (Legacy, Impreza, Forester) that stand out in terms of reliability or "unreliability?" Again, I'm looking for something that's definitely 2000 or after--more like 2003 or after if possible.

Yeah, I prefer the older style impreza, espcially for the 2dr option. as fas as reliabliy, they are all about the same, the legacy is bigger so tends to have a bit more wear&tear, but not too much, and the forester is a modified impreza chassis. FHI was one of the first companies to really adopt the idea of universal designs, the basic design of all their models is the same.even moreso the drivetrains are practicly identical on many. so a motor from a forester could go into a legacy or impreza and the other way around (except the EZ30). as far as i know, but for maybe fleet sales there is no more "base model" (L)Impreza. It is the 2.5rs sedan, 2.5ts wagon, OBS or WRX since 2002.

oyu could score a wrx wagon (2002) for $12k, depending on your location, i know in oregon you can get them for that price or lower. but if you want to go camping, hiking, fishing, .......4 wheeling..... i would suggest a legacy outback. lots more room than an impreza model, save forester. and it has the phase II 2.5 litre. that dont blow HG's like the phase I's, at least not as often. plus, there are plenty of upgrades and aftermarket parts for it already available. but the 2000+ outback is going to set you back more than $16k, so you wouldnt have to finance too much.

~Josh~

look at the latest model 2.2 you can find and see if you like it. see if you can tolerate the year/body style then you'll have an awesome car that will last just as long as any other used car you're going to end up with and they have fewer issues. cheaper and more reliable if that's what you want. type in "headgasket" on the search forum and see how many 2.5 head gasket threads you'll see. i'm not saying the 2.5 is terrible but i'd rather have the 2.2 since it has far fewer isses and awesome reliability back to the early 90's.

the reliability aspect isn't confined to "models" as they all use same/similar engines and transmissions. reliability is more accurately split into 2.2 vs. 2.5 and automatics vs. manual transmission.

look at the latest model 2.2 you can find and see if you like it. see if you can tolerate the year/body style then you'll have an awesome car that will last just as long as any other used car you're going to end up with and they have fewer issues. cheaper and more reliable if that's what you want. type in "headgasket" on the search forum and see how many 2.5 head gasket threads you'll see. i'm not saying the 2.5 is terrible but i'd rather have the 2.2 since it has far fewer isses and awesome reliability back to the early 90's.

the reliability aspect isn't confined to "models" as they all use same/similar engines and transmissions. reliability is more accurately split into 2.2 vs. 2.5 and automatics vs. manual transmission.

Excellent information. How do I know if it's a 2.2? Is auto or manual more reliable? If I do get a 2.5, how do I know that it's the gen II or whatever is the right one? I'm not a mechanic or car guy, if you can't tell.:headbang:

even later 2.5's have HG issues. issue went from initially an internal head gasket then an external head gasket leak for which subaru dealers use the "conditioner", a coolant additive, to treat.

not sure on the last year the 2.2's were available either.

in general manual transmissions are much simpler by default and have fewer issues. auto's have the "torque bind" issue but are otherwise quite reliable as far as automatic transmissions go. get an aftermarket transmission cooler if you ever do get an auto trans...that goes for any vehicle not just subaru. at $30, it's great insurance. many transmission shops install them with new transmissions for just that reason.

the 2.5's are great motors and not a bad choice at all, but they dont' carry the reputation of the 2.2's either.

even later 2.5's have HG issues. issue went from initially an internal head gasket then an external head gasket leak for which subaru dealers use the "conditioner", a coolant additive, to treat.

not sure on the last year the 2.2's were available either.

in general manual transmissions are much simpler by default and have fewer issues. auto's have the "torque bind" issue but are otherwise quite reliable as far as automatic transmissions go. get an aftermarket transmission cooler if you ever do get an auto trans...that goes for any vehicle not just subaru. at $30, it's great insurance. many transmission shops install them with new transmissions for just that reason.

the 2.5's are great motors and not a bad choice at all, but they dont' carry the reputation of the 2.2's either.

Last year for the 2.2 in a Legacy was '98. I had a '98 Legacy L wagon with 4EAT it HAD tourque bind. but that engine was flawless at 150k.:clap: EJ22s stayed in Impreza's longer.;) Some 5-speeds had clutch chatter issues.

Okay, so I test drove an Impreza and a Forester with my bro (hutch85 here) tonight. Pretty fun. I really enjoyed the Forester. What's the rundown on Foresters--good years, bad years, what to watch for, etc.? Again, I'm thinking probably model year 2000 or newer and up to $15000 or so. Reliability is paramount.