Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pinging and fuel consumption after TB change

Yup, i'd try retiming it again. I think if you use the wrong crank mark it won't run, but a number of folks have gotten one tooth off and made a poor runner.

one tooth off on the cam and it wont run, one tooth off on the crank and it will. usually the crank is the one to get right all the time, but stuff happens.

nipper

I was thinking about all the folks who use the mark at the front of the pulley. It seems like anybody who uses that does not run at all.

I've been lucky enough not to have had this problem as the only Subie belt I ever changed was in New Zealand and the local shop who sold me the belt carefully warned me of the problem.

I don't know anybody who kept running one. If it is just pinging and poor mileage it doesn't seem like it would hurt. It would seem like you have not tangled the valves and that is the scarey part. I'm sure you made sure you got all the vac lines back on? The only one I have heard of folks leaving off is the big one to the air cleaner and the car usually won't keep running.

ok well i re installed the TB within 1 hour and this time i got the timing about 1 degree off, she's running better than it was before i changed the timing belt. well when i first put the new TB in the timing was of by 15 to 17 degrees!!!!!!!!!!! thats why it was consuming gas and pinging. I got a CEL light after i reinstaled the TB but i erased it with my OBDII scanner.

well now its all good, remember guys the m,arks must be exactly where they are supposed to be.

cheers

Neo

ok well i re installed the TB within 1 hour and this time i got the timing about 1 degree off, she's running better than it was before i changed the timing belt. well when i first put the new TB in the timing was of by 15 to 17 degrees!!!!!!!!!!! thats why it was consuming gas and pinging. I got a CEL light after i reinstaled the TB but i erased it with my OBDII scanner.

well now its all good, remember guys the m,arks must be exactly where they are supposed to be.

cheers

Neo

Man that's great news! glad it's running ok now.

Carl

One final note - applicable at least to the DOHC 2.5L that I have in my outback - I've done a belt swap twice now, and each time the marks on the cam sprockets didn't appear to line up perfectly with their reference points when I got the new belt on, but the tooth count was correct in-between cam and crank marks. This last time, I decided to try a little experiment. I manually rotated the crank through several (no, make that many) revolutions -- enough to bring the marks on the belt back around to where they were when you just get the new belt on. Interestingly enough, once that was all set and done, everything lined up perfectly! So, I guess the system has to move enough to allow the belt tension to equalize, and then viola, perfect alignment and dead-on timing is the result.

cheers

Neo

YAY thats good news :)

nipper