Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Arrgh! I give up...

Quitters never win! And Winners never Quit!

You give up too easy.

-Brian

You know what, Brian, I have no idea what I did to piss you off so badly that the only way you'll talk to me is to poke me and insult me. If this is your way of trying to motivate me, knock it off. If it's what I think it is, knock that off too.

To the rest of you all (including Brian): What part of I CANNOT FIX IT is difficult to understand? Repair of this problem will require cutting out a section of the rear quarter and welding a new one in.

1) I don't have the tools or knowledge for that kind of cutting

2) I don't have the tools or knowledge for that kind of welding

3) my lovely dry exposed timers in my garage would likely catch fire if I even ATTEMPTED said welding.

To most of you, I know a cancer hole is nothing because you 4-wheel your Soobs until there's no body left, then throw it away and put the suspension on another car. This is NOT what I'm in this for, I intend to restore the car to a daily driver condition. A cancer hole is the exact OPPOSITE of what I need.

I know that cars without them exist. I've owned lots of them. Even as recent as my XT. I just keep having bad luck with the ones I'm picking. And picking ON me isn't helpful.

If you guys want to be helpful, either weld the damn hole shut for me, or buy the damn car off me.

i gotcha EV. been there myself;) if a car starts out to be a headache, it will probly always be a headache. its just not worth that to me, i`d rather sell the headache, and buy a nice one.

plus, ea81t's always seem to give people problems, either electrical or hg's, i`ll stick with my ea81s and ea71s. plus an ea81t really won`t have "a whole lot" more power than a non-turbo, and it will cut your MPG's

Thanks...

Yeah, true, I'm not going to put forth any heroic effort to save this car because I'm not going to see a return on any further investment at this point, but if Mr. Carb has time over the next couple weeks to help me with the fuel rail and it gets the engine going, at least the car will be running for the next owner.

go to welding/body shop cut out cancer.have them weld in new panel.Ive seen it done to suspension mounts so SHUT UP and git cutting.afterwards touch up the area with touch up paint or have body shop do it.problem solved. should only be like 100 bucks to weld in unless you have to replace the entire panel.

EV, My comment was not meant to pick on you.. I don't do that, it was more of a childish Taunting... But if you need any new parts and or help I'm sending you a message with my phone number... And remember I get a 20 percent discount on new subie parts.. Because I'm a subie freak they will never know.. HahaHaHa HaBut seriously I have the next couple of days off just supply the beer or a couple bucks for gas and We are good to go.. X

You think your car has rust bad. On my car I have two of those rust holes in the same area you talk of.

Oh and it is rusted along the bottom of the entire rocker panel, lets just say when I wash the car and water gets in those holes, it leaks out all the way up pased both front doors. It looks like a water fall if you could imagine :rolleyes: .

Just don't neglect the rust, yours is small, fix it or it will end up like mine.

Oh and my car is to far with rust that I can't fix it :-\ .

I feel your pain. My very loyal 86 wagon (270,000 miles) is starting to show some rust-through and I'm not a welder (yet). Still, I think I'll eventually come up with a way to fix it, either learn to weld or trade some work with someone else who welds.

First of all, let me apologize to most of you.. I kinda snapped a little, I've had a stressful few days that was capped off by my own idiocy today costing me $44 on a ticket and nearly getting me run over by a propane truck.

In all of the frustration with the car, I had forgotten that I have a brother-in-law who may know how to weld, so I'll have to get his take next time I see him. I could always get it professionally patched if I had the money, but $100 seems VERY lowball for that kind of work to be done well. I dunno, I guess I need to start calling body shops to find out for sure.

Still no idea how heroic I truly want to be with the car... From what I'm seeing from it, the no-fire problem may sadly be the least of the engine's problems.

just a suggestion - if you have a college/tech school near you that offers auto body classes, go talk to them - they may be able to do the repair for next to nothing. possibly even paint too.

I used to take my car to the local community college yrs ago - they would do the work for the cost of parts to give the students the experience. The instructors (if they are any good) will not let second rate work go out the door. it should be done right - thats the whole idea of the class, right??

Sadly, lots of swings and misses so far...

2 different body shops have said they don't do this kind of repair, they'd have to cut out the WHOLE quarter and replace it, to the tune of $1500.

One welding shop won't even attempt the work period.

And the local technical college that does an automotive program ONLY does GM, Toyota, and Honda.

I now know I'd need two, and possibly the complete rockers on the right side.

I just got done banging on every part of the underside of the car, because the last rust hole was found in a place that didn't look to be a problem (paint was intact), and sure enough... I found that 1) the original hole is actually twice as large as first thought and penetrates the wheel well itself, and 2) the OTHER side has a fairly sizeable hole right on the corner of the wheel well.

It's no longer a patch job with that kind of damage. Unless someone's REALLY good at shaping metal and wants to do it cheap.

plus, ea81t's always seem to give people problems, either electrical or hg's. plus an ea81t really won`t have "a whole lot" more power than a non-turbo, and it will cut your MPG's

BITE YOUR TOUNGE SIR!!! :lol: I bet (scratch that, I KNOW) my wagon is faster than any of your non-turbo EA71-81s. I've raced and beat a Weber'd EA71 brat and a 1275cc Morris Minor. Haven't had any HG or electrical problems on mine either (Knock on wood). You would be suprised how much get up and go these cars have.

It's no longer a patch job with that kind of damage. Unless someone's REALLY good at shaping metal and wants to do it cheap.

What about cutting out those peices of metal from another coupe and having them welded on?

What about cutting out those peices of metal from another coupe and having them welded on?

well...

2 different body shops have said they don't do this kind of repair, they'd have to cut out the WHOLE quarter and replace it, to the tune of $1500.

One welding shop won't even attempt the work period.

And that's per side...