Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drove on rim for 26 miles.. problems??

Ok so i have an 85 GL hatch with a 4spd and dual transfer case while driving in the woods on gravel logging roads i got a flat. ok no big deal till i go to put the spare on and it doesnt fit the car dont ask. So i decide to drive it till i get to pavement 26miles away. i put it in 4low and didnt get out of second gear and not over 10 miles an hour. When i got to pavement all that was left was a bent rim. What problems is this going to cause i got a rim and drove the car home the same day which was 35 miles at 55mph i noticed a little bit of unusual noise but nothing major i drove home in two wheel drive. the only real noticeable noise was my cv that was already goin bad. so what can i expect????:confused:

I am kind of a noob to this but why would driving on the rim mess up your axle or anything else? I mean would the axel know the difference? possibly more vibration but o.k, it was short lived duration.... It probably didn't do any damage...if something did fail because of this then it was probably ready to go anyways...

THESE ARE TOUGH LITTLE CARS.... :headbang:

I bet your rim was pitched after 26 miles :slobber:

Sounds like it was a good lesson learned. I picked up a co-worker along the hwy. one day... no cell phone, car jacked up with this ....ahh shoot look on his face. The same thing... new used car and he never checked the rims to make sure they matched... gave him a lift into town..

Besides... if it did break something....replace it.

You shouldnt have hurt anything. A buddy of mine drove a Volvo 740 Wagon 15 miles @ 55mph on a rim. Front passenger side. When he finally parked it, the outer lip of the rim was completely gone, The spokes were bent around the rotor. The caliper was still good, but the rotor had to be replaced. The car did drive again

someone slashed 3 of my tires in my 88 XT years ago. this was in highschool before i knew anything about cars. i drove to my parents house 25 miles at about the same, no more than 30 mph tops. the tires eventually came off the rim. made it home, got new tires and all was well. drove the car a few more years after that into college and never had any problems with it. didn't even bend the rims. stock steel wheels with hubcaps as opposed to aluminum i guess prevented them from bending.

Well I don't know about all this, but I had a front blow out under an extreem corner. After we pushed the car back onto the wheels, and quite a bit of starter use I drove it home on 3 tires. It was a front tire, and still use that wagon wheel to this day. My biggest concern was an unliscensed car ticket, so I drove it as fast as I could with that wheel on the shoulder. The good news is I made it. The bad news is the tire shredded the fender and the windshield washer tank.

That didn't kill the car tho.....

Many many roo missions later, steering went bad hit a tree. Once again no liscense plate, and had to get it home. Drove it 28 miles, mostly off road. Got home the temp guage was pegged, oil pressure was gone. I smashed the radiator, and the oil sending unit. The tree did kill the subaru, but it's memory still reamains in the form of an 88 fuel injected low range power plant in an 85 hatchback. :headbang:

I did something similar after the donut was on , drove donut on rim. The tranny made one hell of a noise at (I am assuming) the cv joint inner (a clunk). Messing around in the snow the following winter had one tire spinning forward, the other backwards! Four tires the same and about 4000 miles it went back to normal, without any noise. On the rim gives two different speeds on differential. Long term trip may bring trouble. I don't know how it works in tranny, but it really cured itself (luckily).:)

yeah the rim is fun. you all know the last story!

more recently i had aflat and drove on the rmi.grabbed ti hansen and the camera and went to the tire store. got a new mount on a spare rim, toss it under the hood and drive off. all said and done what's left of the ri is hanging on my wall

just the other day i had to tow back an ea81 sedan with a flat back tire, on the wayback 60iles and thru milwaukee

thank you, my pleasure