Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No, I do not have any probs going into gear. However, as mentioned in SEVERAL of my other threads, I experience a Hard shift for the first few downshifts from D-3 when punching to pass. After the first couple times, It goes back to normal. The only recommendation I've gotten and NOT acted on yet is getting a tranny FLUSH instead of drain and fill.

MY QUESTION GOES TO THOSE WHO HAVE EITHER EXPERIENCED THIS, SOMETHING SIMILAR, OR GOTTEN TORQUE BIND:

How much weight were you carrying on a daily basis? Towing? Common hills? Ever find your tires inflated to 3 psi ABOVE the TIRES' max capacity?

I drive... I drive ALOT. Because I work ALOT. I keep about ~250-300 lbs worth of hand and power tools in my car at ALL times (I miss my garage). I wonder if simply carrying this weight Full time could cause this with aggressive driving. Initiall, I would say no, but then I consider that about %90 of my + tool weight is on the driver's side. If I put the power/hand tools over to the Pass. side of the trunk would that make a difference.

Sorry if this seems "dumb" to some, but this is the same vehicle that is SUPER picky about matching tire sizes and inflation amounts, so if a few pounds or a 1/2" would cause problems...

TIA.

Almost forgot: HA HA!!!

For those who understand the significance; yes I agree, it is ironic that I would ask when I have this in my arsenal. Pm for linkage.

Alldata-Main.gif

Alldata-Selection.gif

I had to find out the hard way about how picky my outback is with tires. It could be possible that all the weight of the tools plus you being on one side of the vehicle caused uneven tire wear. Couldn't hurt to check the tread depths, and it is way easier than flushing out the tranny.

My problem was with unevenly replaced tires, but there was little weight carried, no towing, and no major hill climbing. sounds like your problem is different than mine anyways.

I have a 90 Nissan 300ZX, and consequently have followed the TwinTurbo.net forum for these cars for many years. There isn't a week go by that someone asks for a cure for hard shifting and grinding gears with their 5 speed tranny. The response from the forum members each time is to change tranny fluid to RedLine MT90. The rave reviews from members who have made the change has been simply been amazing. I've yet to make the change in my own 300 ZX (being a toy it has very few miles on it at this point), but I have done so in my 54 MG TF with very good results. It really transformed my shifting experience with this old and crude gear box. And, NO, I am not a dealer for this product, but rather a retired car enthusiast with some toys and an OBW as a daily driver.

i'd check your tire circumferences... make sure they're all within 1/4" of each other. I might also try adding another ground from your neg. battery post to the engine block, this help out my 4eat alot in the shifting area, i also cleaned up all the other grounded connections, and the car was never happier! (i'll see if i can find the ground mod link for you).

You may also want to distribute the load of the tools more evenly, so when you're in the car it's relitivly evenly balanced, with all that weight on one side you could wear down those tires quicker.

Also, pull the tranny fluid dip stick, check the color of the fluid, give it a good sniff, if it smells burnt, go ahead & change it out, if it's dark red... darker than it should be :rolleyes:... change it. Changing the fluid can't really hurt much except your wallet.... change it a few times with a moderate drive between changes, instead of 'flushing' it, this will help get all the hidden 'snot' out of the tranny.

Other than that.... i'll pass it off to someone else ;)

Oh yeah, i beat the crap out of my 4eat, tow huge loads, other cars around, drive it hard, super-heavy loads on long road trips, lock up the center clutch pack just to keep her 'loose' sometimes :eek:, i also carry alot of my tools around with me, most of the time... although they tend to slide around in the back :burnout:

Good luck!

i'd check your tire circumferences... make sure they're all within 1/4" of each other. I might also try adding another ground from your neg. battery post to the engine block, this help out my 4eat alot in the shifting area, i also cleaned up all the other grounded connections, and the car was never happier! (i'll see if i can find the ground mod link for you).

You may also want to distribute the load of the tools more evenly, so when you're in the car it's relitivly evenly balanced, with all that weight on one side you could wear down those tires quicker.

Also, pull the tranny fluid dip stick, check the color of the fluid, give it a good sniff, if it smells burnt, go ahead & change it out, if it's dark red... darker than it should be :rolleyes:... change it. Changing the fluid can't really hurt much except your wallet.... change it a few times with a moderate drive between changes, instead of 'flushing' it, this will help get all the hidden 'snot' out of the tranny.

Other than that.... i'll pass it off to someone else ;)

Oh yeah, i beat the crap out of my 4eat, tow huge loads, other cars around, drive it hard, super-heavy loads on long road trips, lock up the center clutch pack just to keep her 'loose' sometimes :eek:, i also carry alot of my tools around with me, most of the time... although they tend to slide around in the back :burnout:

Good luck!

4 new tires (few months) All at 8/32". HAD BEEN OVER-INFLATED BY MORON KID BY 10LBS AT LAST ROTATE/BALANCE. However, the problem has been around since BEFORE the kid who couldn't read inflated my tires.

I have PLENTY of grounds. Look for my Grounding thread. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I have a 90 Nissan 300ZX, and consequently have followed the TwinTurbo.net forum for these cars for many years. There isn't a week go by that someone asks for a cure for hard shifting and grinding gears with their 5 speed tranny. The response from the forum members each time is to change tranny fluid to RedLine MT90. The rave reviews from members who have made the change has been simply been amazing. I've yet to make the change in my own 300 ZX (being a toy it has very few miles on it at this point), but I have done so in my 54 MG TF with very good results. It really transformed my shifting experience with this old and crude gear box. And, NO, I am not a dealer for this product, but rather a retired car enthusiast with some toys and an OBW as a daily driver.

Something tells me that might be a little thick for an auto.:eek:

I wouldn't think the tool carrying or having all four tires overinflated temporarily would cause this, but I'm no mechanic.

If it makes you feel any better about it, my 97 has a really rough time figuring out what gear to be in and getting there for the first half mile or so in the mornings. Once it warms up it's fine, albeit Subaru's don't exactly have the smoothest feeling auto tranny, that's for sure. I haven't had a tranny flush, just drain and refills at 90K and 120K miles. Regular ATF.

Steve

I wouldn't think the tool carrying or having all four tires overinflated temporarily would cause this, but I'm no mechanic.

If it makes you feel any better about it, my 97 has a really rough time figuring out what gear to be in and getting there for the first half mile or so in the mornings. Once it warms up it's fine, albeit Subaru's don't exactly have the smoothest feeling auto tranny, that's for sure. I haven't had a tranny flush, just drain and refills at 90K and 120K miles. Regular ATF.

Steve

So I guess this may answer my next question. Is there anyone who does NOT feel when the car shifts. I mean a slight lurch (no grinds or clunks, but just to let you know)? My buddy has an 88 olds 88 and I was amazed at how smooth his AT shifted... Until yesterday. Now his tranny won't upshift past 2nd. So I guess it's a relatively good sign that I can feel it shift.

Comments please.

my 4eat is very... well.. let's just say it likes to let you know it's shifting most of the time. :rolleyes:

if i'm really lite on the gas, and dont' push her very much it smooths our nicely.. but if i drive like.. the way i do, then i feel it ;)

SUbarus are very hard shifting from 1 to 2nd. Its one of thoe things we get used to. The foreced down shift can be a bit harsh sometimes. IN reality a harsh shift makes for longer clutch life then a soft one.

Now engineers cheat by playing with the ignition timing or fuel delivery just at the time the car shifts to make the shift feel soft or unnoticable.

Mine has a hard 1-2 shift and seomtimes the forced downshift is harsh. My 98 Legacy was the same way as my 97 OBW

nipper

My 91 shifts smoothly if I drive with an extremely light foot or if I floor it and let it snap off shifts right at 6500 redline. Where it feel clumsy is on part thottle driving. It shifts with a "bump" I would say. My 88 Buick Skyhawk beater always shifted much better (Didn't do much else well but the trans lasted the life of the car with repair or much service).

Everyone tells me that's just the way Japanese cars shift. I have a friend wil a 92 Accord that shifts the same.

my 4eat is very... well.. let's just say it likes to let you know it's shifting most of the time. :rolleyes:

if i'm really lite on the gas, and dont' push her very much it smooths our nicely.. but if i drive like.. the way i do, then i feel it ;)

Sounds about right for me too. Oddly enough. I made sure not to punch it until I had driven for about 20 mins, and the first time I did... Smooth as it should be???

I now wonder if it could be the tranny temp control mod. Any thoughts on that?

Andy, You have a PM.