Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help: Loose Steering Wheel !!!

Hi everybody!

It`s my first post here, but I am reading here since about 2004... My dad is Mechanic and I help him to find answers on Internet, because he don`t speak english.

We have a 1987 GL wagon that has the EA82 engine, the problem with it is that the Steering Wheel is too loose!

No matter how you adjust it with the adjustable stick under it, and no matter if it is compleately firm on it`s base... it is always loose, you can shake it an almost 2" Range away from its center... up, down, left, right... I Hate that! :mad:

So I figure out if it got a ball bearing, or something like that, and where.

Thank you for any advice.

Oh!... Thank you!, don`t you know where are any photos about it? I don`t know where to find it and how to replace it. My Dad can do it, but first he wanna know where is it and if I can find any replacement, before start to remove the steering wheel. he is a very busy man.

are you sure it's not something simple, like the 2 bolts holding the steering column have come loose? If you want to check, just follow the steering column to about halfway down and look under the dash, you will see a strip of metal and 2 bolts holding it in place. I guess a mechanic would have already looked there, but sometimes it's the simple stupid things that you forget and can cause a lots of trouble...

Hi everybody!

It`s my first post here, but I am reading here since about 2004... My dad is Mechanic and I help him to find answers on Internet, because he don`t speak english.

hey welcome to the boards by the way is that you in the avatar? anyway sure hope that you stick around. its great to have another hispanic on the boards. cuidate y espero que disfrutes tu GL del 87' :) .

(translation---> take care and i hope that you enjoy your 87' GL)

if you guys ask its because my parents are from central america (Nicaragua) ( i was born here in the US in California) but the main language at our house is spanish. if any of you want to know a few spanish words let me know!!! no bad words though :)

Thank you for your replies.

yes, we saw the bolts under the steering column and they are properly thighten, so the trouble are not coming from there.

i learned english at the bilingual school, i study at "San Pedro Sula" city (Saint Peter of Sula, in english) yes, maybe i am too young, but i love mechanics and i wanna help my dad to find some information about mechanics on internet. thank you for the welcome, and my avatar is me. i am glad you like my tiny photo.:)

spanish: gracias por escribirme en español, yo disfruto del GL pero no me dejan conducirlo aun, asi que solo voy en el con mama, pero a mi me gusta mas un subaru rex que tiene desarmado mi papa, espero poder arreglar un dia y que sea mio. gracias por la imagen, saludos. Dios les bendiga a todos.

translation: thank you for writing in spanish, yes i enjoy the GL, but as passenger, because i don`t have drivers license, but i prefer the subaru rex that my dad got disarmed, i hope some day i can fix it, and it become mine.

Thanks you for the Image. God bless you all. :D

Use it for collateral for wallet.....

sooboutlaw: really.. I don´t understand your phrases :confused: What do you mean?

i still need help with my car... i don´t know exactly which piece is the bad one, and how to fix it... i was seeing the photo with the manual, but it got bad resolution... any other idea? maybe the name of the piece, so i can go search it.

sooboutlaw: really.. I don´t understand your phrases :confused: What do you mean?

i still need help with my car... i don´t know exactly which piece is the bad one, and how to fix it... i was seeing the photo with the manual, but it got bad resolution... any other idea? maybe the name of the piece, so i can go search it.

actually the entire column exchange IS pretty easy. 2 bolts to get the column loose(right under the column - 12MM), couple plugs for the wiring and then the 2 bolts at the firewall and the 2 12MM bolts for the steering knuckle. pulls straight out. ONLY PROBLEM - U need to drill out the 2 aluminum rivets that hold the ignition on to the columns and put YOUR ignition on the new column so you can use your keys. basically the rivets are 12MM thread so when you drill the back of the alum rivets out, you bolt it back on with 2 12MM bolts on the column. if you get in there youll see everything i mentioned here.

might be a good learning experience for you if your dad is busy?? i know i was working on verhicles when i was AT LEAST 14........ you might have trouble getting the column though. dont know how available they are where you are.

good luck anyway.:)

would that be a right hand drive though??? would the column be the same as here?

wouldnt be that hard for you to wire one of us here in washington the money and we could pull a column for you from PAP and ship it. ive shipped bigger parts to italy.......

thanks you for your replies, here the steering wheel is situated in the same side as in united states is, and is nor too hard to find replacement in junkyards, but i don`t wanna change the entire column, unless it is extremly nescesary, i will try to disasemble the one on my subaru, maybe my dad and i can fix it easily searchin inside for the piece that makes it too loose.

thank you for your idea of send parts here, but i can not afford the price yet. i am student, no job untill i graduate, and dad says that he will give this car as a gift for me to go to the university, but i rather preffer the rex, i like that little subaru, but its engine is completely bad, maybe one day i can fix it.

thank you for all the replies. i will try get out the steering column right now.

Sorry about the resolution of the steering pic, not sure why its like that.

The parts in question are #4 and 5. This is the bearing and bearing bushing.

You will need a puller to get the wheel off, I'm not sure how hard it is to get the other parts out.

thanks you for your replies, here the steering wheel is situated in the same side as in united states is, and is nor too hard to find replacement in junkyards, but i don`t wanna change the entire column, unless it is extremly nescesary, i will try to disasemble the one on my subaru, maybe my dad and i can fix it easily searchin inside for the piece that makes it too loose.

thank you for your idea of send parts here, but i can not afford the price yet. i am student, no job untill i graduate, and dad says that he will give this car as a gift for me to go to the university, but i rather preffer the rex, i like that little subaru, but its engine is completely bad, maybe one day i can fix it.

thank you for all the replies. i will try get out the steering column right now.

seriously though. changing the whole column is WAY easier than changing the bearings. i tried changing the bearings in my '86 and ended up just replacing the column. and i even have all the tools to do the bearings. its just plain easier. unbolt old one, bolt in new one.

good luck anyway. :)

Thank you for your replies.

yes, we saw the bolts under the steering column and they are properly thighten, so the trouble are not coming from there.

i learned english at the bilingual school, i study at "San Pedro Sula" city (Saint Peter of Sula, in english) yes, maybe i am too young, but i love mechanics and i wanna help my dad to find some information about mechanics on internet. thank you for the welcome, and my avatar is me. i am glad you like my tiny photo.:)

spanish: gracias por escribirme en español, yo disfruto del GL pero no me dejan conducirlo aun, asi que solo voy en el con mama, pero a mi me gusta mas un subaru rex que tiene desarmado mi papa, espero poder arreglar un dia y que sea mio. gracias por la imagen, saludos. Dios les bendiga a todos.

translation: thank you for writing in spanish, yes i enjoy the GL, but as passenger, because i don`t have drivers license, but i prefer the subaru rex that my dad got disarmed, i hope some day i can fix it, and it become mine.

Thanks you for the Image. God bless you all. :D

Spanish: de nada Carmen :) , hey cual es el Rex? si tienes una photografia ponela aqui por favor.

and for my english speaking friends: your welcome Carmen, hey which one is the Rex? if you have a picture please post it here please. anyway whats the legal driving age over in Honduras? here in California 15 and a 1/2 is the legal age. i love spanish :brow: . a quick question are you catholic or Christian? just curious? :-p