Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best place to find a new old Subaru

I am looking to add another older Subaru to my garage. I have an 86 BRAT and a 98 Legacy GT. I am considering another early-mid 80's GL wagon with dual range.

Old Subarus are very scarse here in MI.

It seems like California, Washington, Oregon, Colorado, and Vermont have the most.

Can any one suggest a good place to look in those areas? Ebay is not so good for older Sub's, unless you want a 360 (which I do, but that is a different forum). Autotrader doesn't go old enough last I check.

Rob

i look up 80's subaru's all the time on autotrader, did it today. you shouldn't have a problem doing that.

expand your range as much as possible...consider flying somewhere and driving it home. i've gotten some of my best deals/subaru's that way. well worth the effort to get a good deal on a great car. there are some subaru's in the northeast, but northeast sucks for rust though....

I am looking to add another older Subaru to my garage. I have an 86 BRAT and a 98 Legacy GT. I am considering another early-mid 80's GL wagon with dual range.

Old Subarus are very scarse here in MI.

It seems like California, Washington, Oregon, Colorado, and Vermont have the most.

Can any one suggest a good place to look in those areas? Ebay is not so good for older Sub's, unless you want a 360 (which I do, but that is a different forum). Autotrader doesn't go old enough last I check.

Rob

It would be a surprise to you to find one right in your neighborhood...

I do that all the time, even here in "the rustbucket state" of Maine.:)

I don't know if you are into rebuilding/repairing, but that is even easier and just as surprising.

Was there a dealer near you back then? That will up your chances of finding one locally--the dealer here in the '80's was pretty shaky, so you'd often find cars parked because they needed work, but people were fed up with the shop. Just keep an eye out when crusing around, they tend to be found under trees.

I just bought my '93 Loyale on Craigslist in Austin last week.

I have to agree, Craigslist is where it's at. I had a very bad time trying to find ANYTHING on Autotrader...most cars were overpriced, or the seller just wouldn't contact me after I e-mailed.

I'm extremely happy with my purchase, great car...and not a bit of rust!:D

Martha Clark

Austin, Texas

I've had to go "out State" to find mine, 4 drivers - 2 parts vehicles. You're right though, Older Soobs are a rarity around this State. I've seen a couple of them while driving around, but they're few and far between. Can't comment about any Sales media to look through, I've got all mine from Members on here or another Club I belong to.