Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Update: I guess whatever was moistened by my overzealous cleaning has finally dried out. The CEL has gone out! Yay! Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Got to messin' around with my 1990 Subaru Legacy L (N/A 2.2L 4EAT auto-trans 4WD) - just checked all my fluids, sprayed out the engine bay with a hose, checked the air filter, and pulled a spark plug to check it. Reinstalled everything and then proceeded to install a second 12v socket in my center console. After I finished up, I just went inside.

Went to the Legacy this morning to drive to the post office and, when I started her, she hits me with the CEL. :confused:

I queried the ECU for fault-codes earlier today and only found two black plugs and one green plug instead of what's seems to be normally two of each. All the same, the codes my ECU returned were

------------------

22 Knock Sensor

24 Air Control Valve

32 Oxygen Sensor

35 Canister Purge Solenoid Valve

12 Starter Switch (Huh?!)

------------------

I tried leaving the two black plugs connected, started the car and let it run for a few mins, then turned it off. After I disconnected the black plugs and restarted the car, CEL still was on.

Forgive the stupid question but am I going about re-setting the ECU incorrectly?

This is my first subaru (last car was a cavalier) and I'm not used to all the little nuances but damn I love her...

Another question I have: If these codes still show once I've managed to reset my ECU, do any of you awesome people have any suggestions on where I might start? Right now money is EXTREMELY tight and if this sucker will run about 3 weeks without any danger, I'm going to have to put off even buying a spark plug for that long.

Also, I have an odd noise coming from my engine. I initially thought it was an exhaust leak but after further inspection, I suspect the valve train. The noise/tick is NOT loud at all but is noticeable with the window down. It also is too fast for me to count at idle and increases with engine speed.

Thanks for any help you Subarites may offer!

Got to messin' around with my 1990 Subaru Legacy L (N/A 2.2L 4EAT auto-trans 4WD) - just checked all my fluids, sprayed out the engine bay with a hose, checked the air filter, and pulled a spark plug to check it. Reinstalled everything and then proceeded to install a second 12v socket in my center console. After I finished up, I just went inside.

Went to the Legacy this morning to drive to the post office and, when I started her, she hits me with the CEL. :confused:

I queried the ECU for fault-codes earlier today and only found two black plugs and one green plug instead of what's seems to be normally two of each. All the same, the codes my ECU returned were

------------------

22 Knock Sensor

24 Air Control Valve

32 Oxygen Sensor

35 Canister Purge Solenoid Valve

12 Starter Switch (Huh?!)

------------------

I tried leaving the two black plugs connected, started the car and let it run for a few mins, then turned it off. After I disconnected the black plugs and restarted the car, CEL still was on.

Forgive the stupid question but am I going about re-setting the ECU incorrectly?

This is my first subaru (last car was a cavalier) and I'm not used to all the little nuances but damn I love her...

Another question I have: If these codes still show once I've managed to reset my ECU, do any of you awesome people have any suggestions on where I might start? Right now money is EXTREMELY tight and if this sucker will run about 3 weeks without any danger, I'm going to have to put off even buying a spark plug for that long.

Also, I have an odd noise coming from my engine. I initially thought it was an exhaust leak but after further inspection, I suspect the valve train. The noise/tick is NOT loud at all but is noticeable with the window down. It also is too fast for me to count at idle and increases with engine speed.

Thanks for any help you Subarites may offer!

Sounds like when you hosed off the engine, you got water where it shouldn't be. As a general rule, when hosing off the engine, keep the engine running so that if you hit something sensitive, the engine reacts almost immediately.

With money being tight, for now try a potent fuel injector cleaner like Seafoam (Pep Boys $5). At some point you should consider a basic tune-up (spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter) If the engine is making strange noises, Subaru engines aren't exactly Lexus quiet. Try an engine flush when you change the oil and that should free up things a little.

i've always been curious as to where one shouldn't spray when cleaning it out. battery seems obvious, as does the fuse box, but other than that i'm clueless.

and voodoo, don't sweat the newb-ness, i'm outrank you in newbification, least you know what CEL stands for........not to mention being able to determin what to do with an ecu :confused:

Sounds like when you hosed off the engine, you got water where it shouldn't be. As a general rule, when hosing off the engine, keep the engine running so that if you hit something sensitive, the engine reacts almost immediately.

With money being tight, for now try a potent fuel injector cleaner like Seafoam (Pep Boys $5). At some point you should consider a basic tune-up (spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter) If the engine is making strange noises, Subaru engines aren't exactly Lexus quiet. Try an engine flush when you change the oil and that should free up things a little.

Thanks for the reply. I suspected that I may have hit something that didn't like being wet but wasn't sure...any tips on how to figure out if I did - and what to do about it?

I was going to put some Seafoam through the intake, crankcase, and fuel tank when I change the oil next time. Plugs and new wires will be at the same time. Lexus quiet? LOL I've never had a quiet car. Just wasn't sure if I should worry or not. Thanks again!

DJ3Stripes - CEL = Check Engine Light. The only reason I know that is because my last car (my infamous Crapalier) had the CEL on for a good 3 years :) The way I figured out how to get my codes from the ECU was searching this forum. I've been reading here and over at LegacyCentral for about two months now so I've had a chance to dig into a whole lot. To be honest, though, I'm far from mechanically-inclined and have never done my own work. God help my Legacy :grin:

Thanks for the reply. I suspected that I may have hit something that didn't like being wet but wasn't sure...any tips on how to figure out if I did - and what to do about it?

I was going to put some Seafoam through the intake, crankcase, and fuel tank when I change the oil next time. Plugs and new wires will be at the same time. Lexus quiet? LOL I've never had a quiet car. Just wasn't sure if I should worry or not. Thanks again!

DJ3Stripes - CEL = Check Engine Light. The only reason I know that is because my last car (my infamous Crapalier) had the CEL on for a good 3 years :) The way I figured out how to get my codes from the ECU was searching this forum. I've been reading here and over at LegacyCentral for about two months now so I've had a chance to dig into a whole lot. To be honest, though, I'm far from mechanically-inclined and have never done my own work. God help my Legacy :grin:

It should dry itself out with time. Did you use a hose or high pressure?

nipper

Just used a good ol' garden hose. Thanks for the reassurance. Thought I killed my favorite car.

this is my fourth zip. your write what fun it is to drive. nerw to board but not subaru's. they take a licking and try on ticking. you will learn to work on it if you care to. they are not that hard to repair, with alittle help from your friends. yea learned a lot here on the sites.

yes a subaru will run real far before it dies. and then only if you try hard can you kill it. had 1 turbo ss go 1 year and a half before it died a 3 cylinder. it run on 3 cylinder till I replaced it completely. yet another ss that time a stick.

even my subaru dealer was great. would do deal again with them when I finish with ML 55. almost done paying for it too. next STI.

be well, be careful and enjoy your zip. D