Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what 15" tires?

BlindSight

im looking for some tires for my 1987 subaru 4wd gl wagon. I got a set of 15" pug alloy rims and now just need to figure out what tires to put on them. I plan on doing the mild 3" lift because i dont want to have to do any cutting or custom fabbing or anything so what type and size tires should i go for? trying to avoid cutting but dont mind bashing and can cut the fenders if i have too. This will still be my daily driver for a while but want some mean looking tires that will do well offroad and still be bareable on the highways and such. THANKS ALREADY FOR THE HELP!!

I went with the wall mart tires. They were pretty cheap and had some good grip tread.

Just dont be like me and put the tires on before the lift..:rolleyes: does not work to well.

You might want to search there are tons of post on this issue.

Im feeling nice

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24979

I went with the liberators..

Now I just need to install my lift.

It seems to me that this style tread would do very well onroad, and would probably do ok offroad. It has to do better than the stock 13 inch car tires :lol:http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?sw=false&cs=215&pc=28438&rd=15&ar=75

Price is very reasonable to, those tires will measure 27.7, with only a 3 inch lift, u would need to do a little beating.

These tires arn't bad either http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/reifensucher.pl?ID=Shopzilla&typ=R-109143&Country=US talk to A dog about them, he runs them on his wagon.

If you had some 14 inch rims, that would make things a lot easier. It is hard to find smaller semi-aggressive sized 15" ers. If you had some 14" wheels, then i would say run 27x8.50x14 wildcats, or cooper discoveries.(very close tread pattern) They actually measure like 26.3. That is about what you want if you dont want to do any beating and bashing. anyway, i'll keep searching for tires.. :grin:

also, the liberators would do wonders, but i believe the come in 215/75/15. Again, that is 27.7 inch's. They will fit, but on my wagon with a 4 inch lift, still had to do some trimming on the front , although not much ,but with a 3 inch lift, i would guess you would have to trim more.

3" 205/75R14 Kumho Venture MT's.

If you do the math on there named size "27x8.5R14's" they come out as 216/76R14's.. Lol, sorry, just small details.

I wouldn't get anything bigger then 27".. I know there are some 15" tyres out there that are 27" big. Sounds like you want a A/T as well....

k thanks for the advice...already have the 15" rims and will be sticking to them...will probably go with some 27"s because i do alot of up hill driving living in the city of Cedar Hill. Ive got a friend who just graduated from Wyotech doing body work so will probably hire him to cut the fenders out and see if he can get them nice and round and will probably find some universal black plastic fender trim and trim the edge off or something.

k thanks for the advice...already have the 15" rims and will be sticking to them...will probably go with some 27"s because i do alot of up hill driving living in the city of Cedar Hill. Ive got a friend who just graduated from Wyotech doing body work so will probably hire him to cut the fenders out and see if he can get them nice and round and will probably find some universal black plastic fender trim and trim the edge off or something.

wow nice... sounds like your gonna make it look a lot nicer than most people do when they trim :lol:

yeah well the idea is to have it not look like some ghetto hackjob...dont mind the wagon looking like a beater or anything....just dont want it to be too redneck looking. what are the tire dimensions i will be looking for with the 15" rims if im going to get some 27"s or somewhere close?

What kind of tire are you looking for? M/T or A/T?

bs_dueler_mt_d673_ci1_s.jpg

The one above is the tread from a the bridgestone dueler. It looks pretty friggin similar to the Kumho Venture M/T, except it costs about 30 dollars more. Plus you have to factor in shipping and then mounting and balancing. For that price, you may as well just go to Discount Tires and buy Super Swampers. They come in a 27/8.50/15.

------------------------------------------------------------------

ge_grabber_at2_owl_ci1_s.jpg

There's your general grabber. Doesnt' look like it will grab much at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

bfg_allterrain_ko_ci1_s.jpg

The BFG A/T is a good all around tire, but you'll be disappointed in the mud. But, then again, you're in Texas, probably not a lot of mud. . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I say go for the gusto! These will make you very happy.

0069766202924_215X215.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------

These look to be good and affordable, decent tread. Wallmart specials. 97 each.

Super Sport HT

0074131708546_215X215.jpg

im looking for something thats going to be good offroad yet still descent on highways and such....like playing in the mud and have a few friends that know of some good spots if it ever rains...hopefully wont be my daily driver for long but for now need some tires that wont kill me on the highways

but i believe the come in 215/75/15. Again, that is 27.7 inch's. They will fit, but on my wagon with a 4 inch lift, still had to do some trimming on the front , although not much ,but with a 3 inch lift, i would guess you would have to trim more.

:lol: The Kumho is a good tire, check out bfg mud terrains also.

going to go with the liberator AT's for the cheapness factor while im still using it as my daily driver and then once its back to a project car will get some good mud tires....what size should i go with though? 205, 215, 235? Want them as big as possible while still being able to get up hills without too much trouble and would rather bash than cut as much as possible.

if you go with a 235/75/15 that is the same as a 30x9.50x15 and that's big. I have a set of 30x9.50x15 buckshots on my Brat and I had to chop alot of my fender off. Go with a 205/70/15 or smaller if possible. Or you'll be cutting.

Jeff

like i stated earlier, i run 215/75/15's on my wagon, and with a 4 inch lift, i had to do a little bit of cutting up front, so with a 3 inch u will have to get more. If you can, get 205's, if not, go with 215's, they will need some more cutting/bangin, but will fit. 235's are pretty good sized, my friend runs them on his 86 wagon with a 3 inch ozified lift, and he had to do a LOT of bashing. He even turned his struts up a click in the back i believe...