Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-81 Engine HO

For some of the EA-81 Fans out there...

275 cam, solid lifters, decked/ported heads, SS valve springs, and dual carb manifold.

Other external mods not shown include, shaker hood, custom exhaust, MSD ignition system/blaster coil/wires, and bosch 4 plugs.

As for the dual cabs, The secondaries sound pretty neat when they kick in. Though they do need to be rebuilt, kits were $41 a peice and are on their way.

I'm not exactly sure what the output is, I'll let you guess.... but it does cherp the tires on the shift to second and third gear :cool:

100_0170.jpg

100_0171.jpg

Heres the hatch it in. In case your wondering that hatch has 275,000 miles on it. The engine that came out had a semi leaky head gasket, so know subarus it prolly would have lasted another 25,000.... I'm just impatient so I took it out early :cool:

100_0176.jpg

100_0177.jpg

I'll get some more pictures when everything is done.

Peace, Fishums

grossgary

"looks great. excellent job.

did you rebuild the block or use a used one?

did you paint the block for any reason other than cosmetics?

the EA81 cams are internally driven by a crank gear, is that how it works?"

Thanks!

It's a freshly rebuilt block, I used ceramic engine paint... It was mainly to stop the nice shiny block from getting corrosion, here in new york we have an evil thing called salt

Durania717

"I like the blue on gray look"

Thanks!

I used new ford grey, and old ford blue engine paints. Both are ceramic heat paints. I made sure to wire brush down all the surfaces, and then treat them with acetone before using ceramic primer, then used ceramic paints.

JerryDeMoss

"Man that looks great!I like that you have the dual carb manifold on there too!Nice Job!"

"Please tell me where you got the stainless valve springs!I really would be interested.Also what did you do with the valves?Did you use the originals?Also the 275 cam? Will that give you more torque or is it a upper rpm band cam?Thanks."

Thanks!

The dual carb manifold has greatly increased airflow, stock exhaust definitely won't cut it with this config you will hear you Y-pipe "whistle" The vavles came from ram preformence, valves sizes are original.. though I imagine you could go somewhat larger, The 275 cam is a higher band cam though I only noticed gains in horse power and torque with this config. It is definitely more responsive to the pedal, as it rev's out quick. I sent you some more info in PM,

Hope this helps guys!

Peace, Fishums

awesome Chris, can`t wait to see it!! and drive in it!! please:brow:

you say it will churp into 3rd now:grin: thats awesome....

have you noticed a big cut in your milage? i was going to spfi my hatch, but now i`m having second thoughts:D

who decked and ported your heads?

also how much off the head did you deck?

Do you happen to have the part# for the dual carb rebuild kit. I have a dual carb setup laying around and would like to rebuild it.

If you could post a pic of the setup with the dual carbs on it. I want to see how you ran your carb linkage.

Thanks.

I ordered two standard Hitachi rebuild kits, side by side the carbs are almost identical, the duals have manual choke, and sort of a weighted secondary. If I run into any problems with rebuilding them I'll let you know.

While I'm waiting on the rebuild kits, I now have the motor is breathing off of an EA-82 manifold with a 32/36 DGEV weber... man the weber is amazing! I wish they were narrow enough to run duals with Yes I already checked! hahaha, Also talking with a few weber guru's to see if there is anything narrow enough to convert. Dual webers = :slobber:

When holding the dual carb manifold next to the EA-81 single, the flow of it looks so much smoother in comparison. Not to mention twice the initial airflow in the openings.

For the linkage, I had to fabricate up a few of my own pieces. I'll get a close up of that when I switch back to the duals.

One thing I regret is, after building everything I learned there are JDM heads that went with the Dual carb manifold. If I were to do it over I would definitely love to get my hands on a set of those, as I here they have larger more aggressive valves!

I'm not sure exactly what my mileage is yet, but I can tell you one thing... it beats almost any domestic 4x4 pickup that I know of! Either that or my fuel needle is stuck :rolleyes:

Fishums

if you ever build up another ea81, Stratus 2000 has the jdm dual port heads with the different cams and monster valves. he had like 20 sets from a load he bought years ago, that is also where i bought that dual carb setup from....

That is exactly who I was thinking of.Thanks Jon.:)

very nice indeed. I also love the Oregon license plate in your toolbox:lol:

That's <cough> my temporary <cough> dealer plate! uh yeah that's it! hahahaha :cool:

It came with the car! I think I'm going to start a collection on the wall, it seems all my project cars come from out of state. Cars from New York are bondo queens most of the time, so importing them is required. I've delt with chronic rust before, and it's a fraction of the cost just to start with something solid, even if it does cost more initially. It seems like no one out here knows how to wax/wash their cars anymore! I've noticed that it is the best way to fight the salt/winters.

As for Oregon, I've been looking to move to either there or Washington. I just have to convince my girlfriend first! Funny thing is she lived in Washington for a few years and loved it. And no I did not have to import her too! hahaha.

Fishums

yeah, importing from Wash or OR is definatly the way to go, in the end it saves you alot of body work and money. if you found a hatch in WA for $400, and pay $600 shipping through DAS, thats only $1000 for a clean hatch. now the only problem is keeping the WA suby people from getting p/o'd about us buying there cars and bringing them over here:lol: i`ve been riding around in a junker civic hatch with those WA plates for days:grin:

speaking of that, i`ll have to wax the hatch soon. its getting a pretty good haze on it.....

anyone ever done some dual 1bbl carbs like kadrons or SU's on a ea81? ie upright manifolds a'la single port VW type 1? the subaru manifold looks like its choking off the motor(if choking off a single port motor is even possible).

the color is great.:)

• 2 months later...