Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SS braided brake lines???

I've looked everywhere, I should have known better, but I can't find a kit for it, any one else have any experiance with this? I want to run them on my gl-10 wagon, it will see some track duty and alot of "spirited" driving thru back roads and mountains..

thanks in advance guys

Realistically speaking, the master cylinder is not powerful enough to require braided line. Braided line is used to prevent the rubber hose from expanding when used with high pressure brake systems using very large calipers and rotors. Frankly the stock brakes will fade long before you get to the pressure needed for SS line.

However - there are plenty of sources if you really want to waste your money. Try Jegs or Summit Racing for universal lines. All you need it a pipe cutter, a flaring tool, and some fittings. You would be much better off converting to a larger brake system. With some fab work a larger legacy or impreza system I'm sure is possible with a few XT6 parts.

GD

GD: I'm glad you told me that, better places to put the money. I don't want to run anything larger than 15's on my wagon, I've already got the stuff for a 5 lug swap, would it be worth it to dich the xt6 calipers and find some legacy or impreza calipers? should I get the master cylinder off whatever the donor car is?

I've personally noticed a good improvement in braking consistancy and performance by swapping my 13/16+1" MC for a 15/16" Legacy MC..

also for the 1st time *gasp* I'll have to disagree with GD on the SS lines..our flex lines do indeed swell under normal braking remember with a brake booster there is over a thousand PSI in these lines, anything that can give your car more consistant braking is good and SS lines DEF. do this..

Our brakes are pathetically small in stock form, I have gotten mine hot enough to make the rotors glow all pretty red..

Upgrade paths should at least include better pads and better tires..up front I run EBC green stuff 90-93 non turbo Legacy pads and in the rear EBC green stuff Civic Si pads *adjusted* to fit the stock calipers..

I run lockheed dot4 fluid and all four calipers have been freshly rebuild when the legacy MC was installed.

I have Kumho EcstaMX tires in the front 220 treadware and Kumho ecsta 712 in the rear mounted on 15" pugs.

SS lines were acquired off a 90's corolla that had been wrecked, TRD part in the front and another front set was used in the rear after 'machining' the stock flare nut mount at the rear caliper smooth so I could use the banjo fitting. The rear lines fit from the 1st soft line junction right back to the caliper so the section of pipe between the two softlines was removed with the old softlines..

*edit*

oh and these cars could really use a MC brace.. I'm workin' on that....

Yeah, I have to go ahead and disagree on SS not being needed as well. When you also add into the equation the temperature the fluid gets to under pressure and hard braking, that gets translated in some part to the rubber hose. We all know that the hotter rubber gets the easier it is to stretch.

I will however say that you can usually get satisfying results by first going to a better pad and brake fluid for street applications. So I'd put my money there before I go to SS lines if I haven't already.

Keith

yeah, considering I have brakelines 12" longer than stock all around I have to say SSB lines would make a small differance in how the pedal feels but I'd upgrade other brake parts first. my brakes are all stock and I'm running around with 29" swampers, I can still lock up my tires barely but doing so makes me feel like I'm going to push the entire pedal assembly out the floorboard.

GD is right, the stock brake lines won't expand due to severe braking or the MC. but with age they can be compromised and cause expansion issues....so you're really addressing different issues age/reliability/performance all at the same time....in which case there's no right or wrong answer. just depends how you want to address the issue of aged lines.

someone posted a problem exactly like this earlier this year. they would push the brakes and have terrible braking. couldn't track the problem and ended up being one of the brake lines was actually bubbling/expanding or whatever you call it. replaced that line and all was good.

with new lines in good condition GD is right. so for reliability reasons you may want to replace them in which case SS might not really be much more expensive.

someone at http://www.xt6.net had a complete set made for his EA82T XT Turbo, i'd look for that thread and see who did it, how much and make a decision on what you want to do based on that.

I had already planned on running better brake pads, Since I'm basically rebuildin the whole wagon as far as suspension and engine go, I wanted to make sure I didn't skimp on the brakes at all. The line that are on the wagon look a little age, so I think I'm goin to look into the prices of makin a set of SSB lines for it.

I just don't want my wagon to feel like my loyale did, still does some times, brake pedal to the floor, and all I get is fade... I'd rather have to deal with balancing the brakes on the verge of lockin all four tires than have to deal with brake fade, specially goin down back roads

thanks for all the help guys