Ultimate Subaru Message Board

top speed limiter? Why only 112 mph

I have a 1996 Subaru Legacy GT and have noticed that everytime,right at 112 mph (closed course, professional driver- naturally) the rev limiter cuts in. I know that in Japan the cars are limited to 110 mph or thereabouts. Is that what's happening i.e. I am running into the factory speed limiter?

It might be, it might not.

I think some cars had them and some didn't. I know people with 1st-gen Legacies (nonturbo) who have topped out past 130mph, stock. I can't do much more than 110mph, not because I have a limiter, but because it doesn't have any more in it.

What transmission is in it? Is the 96 GT a 2.2? I had a 98 2.5 GT that would do well over 112 (Like 140) all stock except for rear sway bar upgrade and a rear strut brace. It was a 4spd auto. Anyway.. what I'm getting at is.. what RPMs in what gear is it doing this at?

DSC03920.thumb.jpg

Its an automatic transmission. It definately isn't running out of power or revs and its not 'about' an indicated 112- its quite precise at exactly 112. It should be good for about 120-125 I would think-especially with the exhaust upgrade, etc (no chip though).:confused:

Sounds like you have a speed limiter in there. My mom had a '95 honda accord with a limiter that was set at 114. My dads '00 Silverado wont go triple digits.. you can hit the speed limiter in 2nd gear. (99mph) In his truck it cuts and will slow down to 96mph before u can "give it gas" again.

A dremel tool and a buffing wheel oughta take that "T" or "S" right off the sidewall of the tires. Then it might go faster than.......uh, hang on, ok, you meant disable the speedometer gizmo. Never mind.:rolleyes:

(Thats 2 self induced raps across the knuckles from "the golden ruler"! WAP WAP YEOUCH!)

As nipper mentioned, the speed limiter is set based on the speed rating of the tires that come on the vehicle from the factory.

If you upgrade to higher speed rated tires, then technically there shouldn't be any real reason you couldn't bump the speed limiter. With OBD2, you should be able to find software that is capable of doing this.

i saw a show on the speed network about changing / controling the rev limiter in a big us pickup. special chip and software , maybe a tool/unit. well if they can do it for a pickup, why not a subaru.... but then why do you want to go that fast? if you want fast get a crotch rocket!!

96 legacy here.

112. it's true. once i got up to 120ish...but that was downhill with the wind to my back. i think it's a speed/rev combo.

once the speed gets to about 112-115, the revs go back to 4k and wont go higher

i saw a show on the speed network about changing / controling the rev limiter in a big us pickup. special chip and software , maybe a tool/unit. well if they can do it for a pickup, why not a subaru.... but then why do you want to go that fast? if you want fast get a crotch rocket!!

some people are just no fun. Nothing wrong with going fast with the ac on :)

Besides im not allowed to ride a bike till next year (dr orders)

nipper

I might be useing an EJ22 if I can find one at pull and save in spokane for the engine for my brat.If indeed there is a speed limiter how does it detemine how fast you are going?

Note:I would use a 5 speed d/r box so not the same tranny.so would the computer let the EJ22 do 5th gear redline pulls?

dunno how it works for the Sub but on my 3rd gen thoes with the electronic speedo have limiters. There is no drive cable. I was mucho luck to not have that, though I am smart and run Z rated tires, rated to 165mph

isn't really smart though to disable the speed limiter then skimp on tires.

A tire rated for 112 might do 120 fine but 4 how many times?

I don't wanna know.