Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My first Subaru! *help pls*

Hello everyone, I am new to the boards and just bought my first subaru. It's a 1986 subaru RX 4wd 1.8l turbo. It is completely stock and runs awesome with full power and everything. Could anyone help me find any places to get aftermarket parts? I've been looking for blow-off valve, full intake, exhaust and a wastegate. I want to chip it if that is even possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated since i know next to nothing about foreign cars! Thanks in advance.

Before you start sinking a lot of cash into modifications, you might want to check into the emissions standards in your area. Some of the obvious improvements you may want to attempt won't pass an E-inspection. As is the case with all EA82T's, squeezing a significant amount of HP's out of that motor will be difficult and expensive.

As for as the stock setup, yours is one of the better models in the EA82 series. After giving it a good going over, you may decide you can live with the level of performance already there. XT's are light and aerodynamic and even simple stuff like upgraded ignition and tires will give the car a sportier feel.

Easy to get pumped up about a car like that, but try to take it one step at a time...

good luck, John

Not many aftermarket parts are readily available for these cars. But, being a turbo, you can adapt almost any aftermarket part for other turbos to work on our cars.

my RX includes:

Saab 900 Intercooler

Saab 900 Bypass valve (you dont want to use a Blow off valve, use a bypass valve instead)

Go Fast Bits manual boost controller

Subaru High Comp Pistons

Magnacore 8mm race wires

Others have installed Fuel Pressure Regulators, aftermarket pumps and some have even gone as far as installing aftermarket injectors. SubaruTex had done some pretty extensive modifications to his RX, but then he sold it off. WJM has also gone above and beyond with his RX... but he keeps blowing them up.

I myself just finished rebuilding my motor, and I dont feel like doing it again, so ive removed my boost controller and kept with the stock turbo. Stick around, and you will learn alot about that motor of yours.

-Brian

Before you start sinking a lot of cash into modifications, you might want to check into the emissions standards in your area. Some of the obvious improvements you may want to attempt won't pass an E-inspection. As is the case with all EA82T's, squeezing a significant amount of HP's out of that motor will be difficult and expensive.

As for as the stock setup, yours is one of the better models in the EA82 series. After giving it a good going over, you may decide you can live with the level of performance already there. XT's are light and aerodynamic and even simple stuff like upgraded ignition and tires will give the car a sportier feel.

Easy to get pumped up about a car like that, but try to take it one step at a time...

good luck, John

Not much of an aftermarket for goodies on older (pre-Legacy) Subarus. As has been mentioned, most people end up custom fabbing things, or "borrowing" semi-compatible parts (turbos, downpipes) from later models. "Chipping" is currently not an option, but you can go with a "kit"-style fuel injection computer (MegaSquirt) which a few members have been playing with. As Alleyboy mentioned, emissions testing can put a crimp in your modifications, and if you live in the Seattle Metro area, you are kind of limited. (I live outside of E-testing area...)

John: The car is an RX, not an XT ;) .

and everyone forgot me....

Be forewarned that it is not cheap to mod these cars. I have roughly $7k into mine and it includes:

WRX TD04

WRX TMIC

stage 2 clutch

Megan Racing downpipe

custom cold air intake

spyder intake from a '88 XT

full 5-lug conversion

lots of electronics like GReddy EBC, TT, Autometer Sport Comp gauges

STi hoodscoop

Delta 260 cams

AFPR

Nissan 280ZX turbo injectors

plus a lot more then I can remember

Cool thanks alot for all the information you have all provided. Any places good for OEM parts? I think i'll just leave it as is for now and listen to ya'll. Are blow-off valves bad as opposed to a bypass? I want it to sound cool... my first turbo and all... even though you probably can't hear it because it's so small! hehe Oh yeah and any idea on where to get cheap used rims? maybe some bigger ones. I hear you can only have them custom made?

John: The car is an RX, not an XT ;) .

My bad, NW...sorry TRX, your car sux!! :lol:

Seriously, that car is the cream of the crop as far as EA82's go. Fuji threw everything off the shelf at that model. You are fortunate to have landed one that is largely intact, and I would be selective about altering it too drastically. It may be a collectable car in the very near future, as they are becoming quite rare.

You might want to check with Soobscript (Ed) here in C-Bus. He did a complete teardown/rebuild on his 88 RX within the last half a year or so. I believe he was able to find some HP goodies for his rebuild, along with custom machine work. A true shame that the car was wrecked before he had a chance to enjoy all the hard work he put into it.

good luck, John

Cool thanks alot for all the information you have all provided. Any places good for OEM parts? I think i'll just leave it as is for now and listen to ya'll. Are blow-off valves bad as opposed to a bypass? I want it to sound cool... my first turbo and all... even though you probably can't hear it because it's so small! hehe Oh yeah and any idea on where to get cheap used rims? maybe some bigger ones. I hear you can only have them custom made?

Cheap used rims is easy... Pull-A-Part. They're going to be the same size as yours, though, 13". Subaru didn't make a larger rim with the odd 4x140 pattern that your RX has.

Your options for larger rims are to either find alloys from a newer Peugeot 505 (it is the 505, right? with the 4x140mm offset, you can find 'em up to 15"), import rims from France or Australia ($$$$!), or do a 5-lug conversion. This is moderately expensive, but allows for you to use a wide variety of rims, since that's the same bolt pattern as the XT6, Impreza, Legacy, WRX, etc...

My bad, NW...sorry TRX, your car sux!! :lol:

Seriously, that car is the cream of the crop as far as EA82's go. Fuji threw everything off the shelf at that model. You are fortunate to have landed one that is largely intact, and I would be selective about altering it too drastically. It may be a collectable car in the very near future, as they are becoming quite rare.

You might want to check with Soobscript (Ed) here in C-Bus. He did a complete teardown/rebuild on his 88 RX within the last half a year or so. I believe he was able to find some HP goodies for his rebuild, along with custom machine work. A true shame that the car was wrecked before he had a chance to enjoy all the hard work he put into it.

good luck, John

Thanks. Yeah i work at an auto auction and i'm the lead vehicle inspector here. I've been looking for a cheap car to work on and everytime i bid on something everyone ends up outbidding me. Damn Dealers! I picked it up for 850 bucks with 175k on it. new tires everything completely stock except the stereo is missing. Needs a paint job soon but the spoiler and everything is SUPER clean. Only problem is a tear in the drivers seat along the left side. Drove it home yesterday and it started overheating so now I have work to do! I want to find out how everyone is putting K&N airfilters on these things!

That's a good price!

The MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do is NOT OVERHEAT IT!!!

First thing you should do is find the cause of that. It could probalby use a new radiator, water pump, thermostat, and timing belts. It's easiest to do them all at once. You will find that Subaru/FHI OEM parts are best and most prices are very competitive with aftermarket stuff.

OEM parts:

http://www.1stsubaruparts.com/

http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/

Both are dealers in WA, prices are about identical. I have ordered from and would reccomend both. I have a list of all the part#s I have used too.

New radiator:

http://www.radiatorexpress.com/product.asp?part=1986+SUBARU+RX++%2D+1%2E8+liter+H4+RADIATOR+Name+Brand+NON+TURBO+2%2DRow+All+Metal+Upgrade&part_id=40020&aaia_id=1270189

all-metal, 2-row upgrade. (ignore the non-turbo part, they fit the same) ~$135 shipped

We're here to help. Just remember to search first.

Yes i know your all here to help and i am so thankful for everyones advice. I've been trying to find websites and doing research it just seams pretty hard. Just by reading more threads and reading peoples posts I have have Tons of information and web links! Everyone at USMB is awesome i'm glad i found ya'll! :banana: :banana: :headbang: :headbang: :burnout:

Look on ebay for a Nissan Sentra cone filter and adapter. Thats what I used, and it bolts right onto our MAF's.

Actually, for an 86, he has the flapper MAF. An older Toyota Celica will bolt up better as it has a square opening the same dimensions as the flapper MAF. Plus, that way the metal actually seals with the rubber gasket over the square opening.

Nice RX, I'm a bit jealous. That thing looks to be in great condition.

Ah, very true... for some reason i thought he had an 88. Go for the celica adapter then :)

-Brian

In search for a 86 celica adapter! awesome thanks alot. yeah the car is awesome except for what i'm assuming is turbo lag? and it overheats but i bought a new radiator and thermostat yesterday. someone poured straight coolant into the thing. The person i bought it from said it stat for awhile so they put that it so it wouldn't freeze.

In search for a 86 celica adapter! awesome thanks alot. yeah the car is awesome except for what i'm assuming is turbo lag? and it overheats but i bought a new radiator and thermostat yesterday. someone poured straight coolant into the thing. The person i bought it from said it stat for awhile so they put that it so it wouldn't freeze.

Actually, if it was going to sit, it'd make sense to pour straight antifreeze in. That way, there's no water or minerals that you may find in the water to cause corrosion or deposits. But antifreeze has a low heat capacity, so it doesn't cool well. Definitely, flush the whole system, and fill it up with 50/50.

This is what I purchased for my 86 Turbo, same exact seller and everything. The K&N filters are much better quality than the cheap generic ones, so go K&N if you have the money:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290000374044

If you're looking to do the same thing I did, this is what it'll look like:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=553&g2_serialNumber=2

You may have an easier time 'wedging' it in than I did though, as I beleive the GL/RXs have more clearance between the intake and the fenders than the XTs.

Another way to route that air filter is through the sidewall, and into the cavity under the fender.

Iluvdrt and I fabbed that setup on his 86 turbo wagon when the filter wouldnt fit in the usual spot. Not nearly as difficult as you might think. We used a round hole saw to make a nice opening that looks completely stock. Turned out great, and she breathes a lot better according to Jason. There is also a removable splash guard under there that makes filter replacement very easy.

Might be worth considering if you want the engine bay less cramped.

good luck, John

If you relocate the charcoal canister to the other side of the metal that the bracket is bolted to you can twist the maf boot so that the filter will sit directly behind the headlight. Worked great with a hotwire style, don't know about the larger flapper style. My filter adapter was a nissan part but it came with a piece that could go on with it that had a square hole, I would think that it would work with either kind of maf. I think it would get much cooler air near the headlight than off to the side.