Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Filler necks from Junkyard - what years fit 1996 Legacy Wagon?

My filler neck is rusty and leaks on my 1996 Legacy wagon. I patched it but want a new one. I am in the south right now and can get one rust free from the junkyard.

What years will this part swap between? I don't care if the style of the gas cap changes or about any other tight a$$ed emission standard details. The part number doesn't have to be the same if it works. I just want a filler neck that won't leak for a reasonable amount of money.

I can't find one for a 1995-6. Will one from 89-94 work?

My filler neck is rusty and leaks on my 1996 Legacy wagon. I patched it but want a new one. I am in the south right now and can get one rust free from the junkyard.

What years will this part swap between? I don't care if the style of the gas cap changes or about any other tight a$$ed emission standard details. The part number doesn't have to be the same if it works. I just want a filler neck that won't leak for a reasonable amount of money.

i dont think so, you have to stay within the same body style, which would be 1995-1999

They can still be had at the dealer

nipper

Thanks for the quick reply, I called the local dealer and they want $150 bucks for the filler neck.

The guy at the junkyard said I will probably be lucky to find one in the junkyard because they cut them when they take out the fuel tank.

If I am not careful this car could $100 me to death. It is a Maine car with over 200K miles on it. It has very little cash value and I will only get a return on my expenses by driving it. I want to get some more use out of it before I spend too much on it. After my first round of fix-up and preventive maintenance it has proven to be a reliable vehicle. Fix up was mostly extensive cleaning, exhaust work and a new windshield.

There are a couple decent earlier model legacy wagons in the yard, 89-94? What else would be good to grab? Alternators, starters, hatch hardware? I am still not up on expensive subaru parts. I'll run some searches on junkyard scavenging too.

Try these two used parts places, Campbell/ Nelson at 1-888-337-7757 or sales@findusedparts.com the other place is Capitol City Auto Parts, 1-800-252-7045 I have got Subaru parts from both places with good luck, they ship U.P.S.

Thanks for the numbers.

I got two real cheap from a u-pullit yard today but they are from '90-'92 cars. They look like they will work. Won't know till I try but now it's raining, maybe tomorrow.

Since these parts fit the fuel system and the jump was made to OBDII in this stretch of years I am hoping that the difference is all in the paperwork. Wish me luck.

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partlistbymod.php?subcat=Fuel+Pipe&model=Legacy

If you check out the above link, I'll think you'll find that Nipper's caveats might be spot on. There are numerous web discounted Subaru parts dealers out there. The above link happens to be near me in CT.

As for the $150 price given you, even retail doesn't come close to that for your model year so that dealer might have been sticking up the old gas pipe for you.

Your's discounted could run you $89-$99 plus s/h. But beware that apparently there are two different models for 1996 based on month of production and Vin. Then again you might be able to hammer anything home to your satisfaction.

These pipes rust out beacuse the "protective" shroud traps dirt and road salt = hole.

I just discovered this same problem on my 97 2.2 Legacy. According to Liberty Suabru they interchange to most 90's Imps and Legs with the 2.2. I'm not sure why the difference between these and the 1.8/2.5????

If I can't find a decent match at the junk yard, I plan to remove the neck and cut it up where there is still good metal, then replace the 6" hose that currently connects the neck to the tank with a two foot hose.

I took a stab at this today and it looks like there is a slight difference in the length of the filler neck up top where it mounts to the body. It is obvious when looking at the parts side by side after you know what to look for. The one from the older car is about a quarter or half inch longer. If you wanted to make a project out of it, it could be cut and welded to fit but that new part for $89 is sounding pretty good right now.

There is a metal section of the vent hose that goes through the "frame" rail that looked untrustworthy also. The one from the junkyard fit there ok.

The difference in condition between the parts from the salt car and the southern junkyard cars is very impressive. The junkyard parts are good as new.

Right now the idea of cutting the neck and replacing it with a hose sounds kinda iffy. This thing bends around a couple curves and the hose will be rubbing on suspension, etc.

I got parts from a '90 and a '92, 2.2, Legacy wagons. Prices were ridiculously cheap so I grabbed a bunch of other stuff. I am not that familiar with Subarus so I didn't know the best stuff to get. I got a couple alternators and a starter, stuff like that.

I am interested in that filler neck if I haven't found one by then, thanks.

I sandblasted the leaky part of my old filler neck for one last patch job. Once the rust was gone the base metal resembled a sieve. I coated it with epoxy and damned if it didn't leak again. Sieves do that, you know.

I noticed that my junkyard filler necks were a constant diameter from the bottom up about half way. I had a junkyard plastic hose that attached to bottom of the filler neck and is the right diameter to fit. So below where the filler neck diameter increases I found a straight run, three or so inches long, and cut the neck there, and joined it with the plastic hose. That gave me the flexibility to make the filler neck fit the car. I cut out about a half inch of length at that point also.

I'll probably still buy the correct part when I find the right deal but I am leak free and rust free for now.:)

BTW, the older flip style gas cap still won't fit. I like those gas caps.

I didn't think about it at the time but I probably could have had a better fit by cutting the original neck in about the same place and using the top of the original neck and the bottom of the junkyard neck.