Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need some help troubleshooting electrical problems

95 Legacy wagon... No dome light, no cruise, no horn, the light for the rear defroster button doesn't work, nor does the cigaretter lighter.

Where do I start with this? I have a basic knowlege of electrical theory, but all those wires confuse the hell out of me, and I have no idea how to trace one that I can't follow all the way.

I've already confirmed that it is definitely not a problem with fuses. The horn has a button wired in series with the hot side of the battery so that works.

Any good ideas?

I'm just a flatlander in the SW but I'd expect a '95 in New York could have some corroded ground connections. Also, a light bulb or 2 could just be burned out.

I wonder if a ground connection might be common to several of the problems you have. Do you have buddy or neighbor with any automotive experience to guide you? Electrical problems can be tricky even with a wiring diagram in a haynes repair manual or something. Do you have a repair book?

If you decide to take it to a mechanic, let the group here know your location and someone might recommend a mechanic for you.

Carl

As a matter of fact, I do have the Chilton's book, but a lot of the inoperative items aren't on any of the wiring diagrams.

I was beginning to suspect something like a bad ground, but don't have a clue as to how to find the grounds to check them. Anyone have some advice here?

Do you have a voltmeter or multimeter? Do you know what and where your fusable links are? My preferred method for testing my fusables is to put my common anywhere that is grounded and my positive on one side of the link then the other side of the link to make sure it is 12v+ on both sides of the link. Should be 12.5 with the key in the "on" position.. and somewhere around 13.5 or 14 with the car running. If you don't have a multimeter you can "pull" test the fusable. Even if they look good they can be blown. Take the fusable link out and pull on both ends to see if it comes apart or is still solid.

Edit: Check grounds: Check all the wires coming off the negative terminal of your battery. Usually a ground wire is any BLACK wire the ends up attaching to the body (frame) of the car, or the negative terminal of your battery.

a FSM wiring diagram would be very helpful at this point. you need to find out what fuse, fusible link, or wiring harness is common to all these items. i would bet one glance at the wiring diagram will point to what exact components are common....one fuse, one fusible link, one wiring connector, one ground...and one of those will be the issue.

I've got the Chilton and the Haynes for your car.

I had a similar problem earlier and it turned out to be a dead fuse in the engine compartment. I assume you check all of those!

Anyway here are some snap shots....really its just jumping around and testing all the connections and seeing where the flow of electricity stops....if you can find the wires. A lot of times the connections around the actual bulb are the problems

interiorlightingworunninglight.th.jpginteriorlightingwrunninglights.th.jpg

Write back if theres anything else I can do for you!