Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok this is my first post and i apologize if this is covered in an older thread but i can't really find anything that looks like this problem. I have a 98 OBW that has been a fine car (with the exception of that $1500 head gasket i had done in Jan!). oh 115mi, AT

Most recently this problem has gotten a lot worse. It started out a few months ago doing this real slightly. On a real, real slow turn (<1500 rpm) the car shudders badly. It is worse for right turn than for left. It is not noticeble at all in reverse turn (like backing out of driveway). <is this some kind of hint?>

At first i was thinking all those things that had to do with engine performance etc. plugs, O2 sensor, Knock sensor (it got a code which is now gone), fuel filter. Figured for the cost of the parts I would rule out all those things and help the cars performance. Oil level ok, trans fluid ok, Power steering fluid ok.

Now it only does this when turning slowly. on a slow start straight ahead no shuddering.

Anyone with a similar experience or any ideas? its probably going to mechanic this week so i will provide an update.:mad:

thanks,

Joe

I like OB99W suggestion, mine just started this but it has well over 300,000 miles on it. I just put a fuse in the holder under the hood and turned it into a front wheel drive and it is fine now. It dont take but about five min. to find out if this is what it is.

Ok this is my first post and i apologize if this is covered in an older thread but i can't really find anything that looks like this problem. I have a 98 OBW that has been a fine car (with the exception of that $1500 head gasket i had done in Jan!). oh 115mi, AT

Most recently this problem has gotten a lot worse. It started out a few months ago doing this real slightly. On a real, real slow turn (<1500 rpm) the car shudders badly. It is worse for right turn than for left. It is not noticeble at all in reverse turn (like backing out of driveway). <is this some kind of hint?>

At first i was thinking all those things that had to do with engine performance etc. plugs, O2 sensor, Knock sensor (it got a code which is now gone), fuel filter. Figured for the cost of the parts I would rule out all those things and help the cars performance. Oil level ok, trans fluid ok, Power steering fluid ok.

Now it only does this when turning slowly. on a slow start straight ahead no shuddering.

Anyone with a similar experience or any ideas? its probably going to mechanic this week so i will provide an update.:mad:

thanks,

Joe

If the fuse verifies torque bind, from what I've read here, change the transmission fluid a few times yourself, just drain and fill, drive around for a few days, drain and fill again and maybe again but NO transmission flush and sometimes it clears up. I think theory has it that the flushes might loosen up stuff that is better left undisturbed.... I only know what I've read!

thanks,

Joe

i have the entire history on a 1997 obw. Flush the fluid, as that should help alot. If it doesn't, you can do the fuse thing untill the solenoid burns out, then there is an 875.00 repair (dealer price) behind that.

I am betting the flush solves the problem, assuming all the tires match and are inflated equally. If they arent then damage is being done.

nipper

i think its a tire problem because he said its worse on turns to one direction.

my car was like that too, and i have brand new tires. Mine was also worse in reverse then forward, others it the other way around. It just depends upon how things are wearing inside the tranny.

nipper

sounds like the centre diff, has decided to give up on you. It is quite common. the centre diff is located on the back of the gearbox, and it distributes power between the front and rear diffs. If you have ever driven a car that is rear wheel drive and has a mini spool/locked diff it is a lot like that.

sounds like the centre diff, has decided to give up on you. It is quite common. the centre diff is located on the back of the gearbox, and it distributes power between the front and rear diffs. If you have ever driven a car that is rear wheel drive and has a mini spool/locked diff it is a lot like that.

except its an automatic and he doesnt have a center diff, he has a clutch pack.

nipper

• 1 year later...

I never did a proper followup email on this.

1. I removed the fuse and the problem cleared up.
  2. Went and changed fluid twice and it was a BIG help with the torque bind.
  3. Had the transmission flushed by Dorsey Transmission in MD. (highly recommended) and now I have not had a problem in over 6 months!

Thanks for all the excellent advice I received. All right on the mark.

BTW Dorsey Transmission checked out the levels in the rear differential on the lift and found it to be low. They topped it off for the cost of the fluid.

I never did a proper followup email on this.

1. I removed the fuse and the problem cleared up.
  2. Went and changed fluid twice and it was a BIG help with the torque bind.
  3. Had the transmission flushed by Dorsey Transmission in MD. (highly recommended) and now I have not had a problem in over 6 months!

Thanks for all the excellent advice I received. All right on the mark.

BTW Dorsey Transmission checked out the levels in the rear differential on the lift and found it to be low. They topped it off for the cost of the fluid.

Thats a rare gem of a tranny shop. Its extreemly rare that someone with TB goes into a tranny shop and doesnt come out with a new tranny.

nipper