Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad Highway Trouble

Ok since i've had this car i've done alot of replacing of parts and a nice tune up. I decided to take my RX camping because my CRX was having issues. I was planning on driving from Federal Way to Everett which probably wasn't a good idea anyways because i didn't fully diag the car. I was driving down the freeway made it about half-way before my oil pressure decided to drop and my turbo started making pinging noises. smoke started billowing out the back and the car died. All in the matter of 10 seconds as i was pulling over to see what was going on. It's still sitting up in lynnwood i was curious if i fried the motor or if i just need to replace an oil pump? The odds of it being ok? Under the turbo/head on passenger side was a small oil leak i couldn't tell where it was comming from but it was about a 2inch diameter on the ground. It's being towed back right now and i figured this has happened to many of us? What was your situation? Ever since i got this car it's been nothing but a pain..... i still love it though! Sometimes i just want to :horse: it!

Also any idea how much oil pumps for these run? Haven't been able to find one on the internet

What did the water termperture gauge show? My first thought was that you overheated. Coolant not flowing properly (plugged radiator, insufficient coolant, air bubble, etc) will cause the oil to heat up and thin out, dropping oil pressure, and will cause detonation (pinging).

I was driving down the freeway made it about half-way before my oil pressure decided to drop and my turbo started making pinging noises. smoke started billowing out the back and the car died. All in the matter of 10 seconds as i was pulling over to see what was going on. It's still sitting up in lynnwood i was curious if i fried the motor or if i just need to replace an oil pump? The odds of it being ok? Under the turbo/head on passenger side was a small oil leak i couldn't tell where it was comming from but it was about a 2inch diameter on the ground. It's being towed back right now and i figured this has happened to many of us? What was your situation? Ever since i got this car it's been nothing but a pain..... i still love it though! Sometimes i just want to :horse: it!

Also any idea how much oil pumps for these run? Haven't been able to find one on the internet

Not good, man.. Sounds like the oil seal failed inside the turbo, letting oil go spewing into your engine. Take off that aluminum air handler on top of the engine that says "Subaru Turbo" and look inside it and your throttle body - check for oil. If you see oil, your turbo's shot and you'll need to find a new one. Update with what you find..

I found an oil pump for my EA82T for about $60 from a local parts store - you'll have to call around a lot to find a fair deal. You should really check that turbo first. Then, if you're still worried about the oil pump, screw in an oil pressure tester to check your pump's functionality.

Good luck!

If the car died because of it, then its probably not a good sign at all.

When my RX died on the side of the road, this is what i found when i lifted the hood:

DSC00643.sized.jpg

Of course, my case is alittle more severe than yours. I drove the car with a bad turbo seal until the crank ran dry, then kept driving until the crank bearing went... then the rod went... through my block.

I would say fill the motor with oil (make sure it needs it 1st, so you dont over fill) and see if the car runs. Do you remember what color the smoke was that you saw?? Blue, White or Black?

-Brian

If the engine died after losing OP, then it's almost certainly shot. It's a major mechanical issue at least. It could be any number of things - you'll just have to wait and see. I would say 90% chance your shortblock is wasted. Sounds a lot like when I blew a rod in my wagon - looked a lot like junkies picture there - only more bits and peices cause I had two rods blow, and destroyed most of the pistons, as well as a softball sized section of the block.

GD

so taking off the 4wd turbo intake is the first thing i should check? I'll do that tomorrow. Just had it towed and cost me about 190 bucks... booo!!! How easy is it to mount a newer WRX motor in this thing?

Yeah, I'd start there.. Though if you open the hood and see a hole in your block, you can safely assume you've got bigger problems. ;) Good luck and let us know..

I have a block I can sell you if you need it (MPFI so slightly higher compression), Might have some heads kicking around too...

Let me know

awesome thanks.... i'm going to run through this thing today and see where i'm at.