Ultimate Subaru Message Board

POLL: "Overhaulin" pick a paint scheme

• 2 months later...

Hey gang, had to resurrect this thread.

The original links changed and I couldn't edit, so I'm posting the pictures of all the paint ideas for fun and because I can finally post the reveal paint job.

The big winner in the poll was paint scheme #5.

The final chosen paint scheme was #4 trim divides, without wheel flares. The next post has #4 again, and #4 with the actual paint job.

#4 ended up being final choice, mostly for classy look, but also because it was much more doable.

The wagon was tall for low ceiling booth. We had to remove tires and set on discs to paint top, then had to jack up to paint bottom. Any scheme with silver over trim would've been tough to do.

I tell you though, even on the day the decision had to be made, I was really torn between #5 and #4, and even thought mountains would be hard to live without. Here they are one more time:

1 Stock paint only

1none.jpg

2 2006 outback style

2bot.jpg

3 Trim divides paint

3trim.jpg

4 Trim divides, without wheel flares

4trim_nowheel.jpg

5 Over the trim

5overtrim.jpg

6 #2 with mountains

6mtns.jpg

7 and by popular demand.....#5 with mountains.

7overtrim_mtns.jpg

Its sick nonetheless though!:headbang:
Thanks! and here it is: :cool:The "reveal"::cool: #4 trim divides paint, without wheel flares.

Photoshop version, and the actual paint job.

Managed to get similar shot to orig. The spot on drivers door is a flash, since original had it, I did same for reveal shot.

Also for those who didn't know, the plan to go exact stock blue was shelved in favor of modern paint hopefully close to orig. 2006 Jaguar blue was closest. Modern paint is pretty high tech, ingredients are within 1/10 of a gram, the pearls are awesome and can have multiple colors to them.

This paint has a mild purple pearl/cast at different angles in the daylight. There's a hint of it in this photo. That was an unexpected bonus. I'm really happy with the color.

Original paint w/ photoshopped silver

4trim_nowheel.jpg

The final reveal

4realpaint.jpg

This was a lot of fun fellow USMBers. Thanks for everything, and heres is the link to the overhaulin thread in case you haven't been there. A full reveal photo album will be posted to that thread today.