Ultimate Subaru Message Board

after going to the local naisoc meet in may (yeah, not the greatest thing since someone joked about the outbacks ground clearance and thought it was due solely to the springs, but thats getting off topic...), i've been drooling over this item i spotted in someones jdm legacy gt wagon. the climate control is digital! i snapped a pic, but it didn't show it too well. anyone know where one can get one and how hard it would be to install? (wasn't really planning on installing one, but one can dream...)

100_1747.jpg

sorry for the big-ness, but i dunno how to make pics smaller

Is it actual climate control? I would guess there are a bunch of servos and blend air motors that need to be installed. I might be worth looking in to though.

As for resizing images, try Irfanview (assuming windows:) ). http://www.irfanview.com/

It's free and does a lot more then just resizing. I use it in all my labs. Just remember the guy that wrote it is in Europe, so all the defaults are metric.

it controls the a/c and heat. climate control might not be the best term because it doesn't change the humidity or the chance for hurricanes, but it does set it to a temp. i didn't think much about it and didn't snap another pic for a better view. it would be a nice add-on:slobber:

To tell u the truth, it can be a good thing however it might also be a bad thing because if it fails uur screwed, but atleast with the manual one know worries. Yet its cool, but as nipper said u need to get all thosse sensors installed and a motor for the ducts. It would prob be a easier hook up in my 93 leg because it has a push buttom climate where u ppush ac and it switches all the vents and turns on ac.

I have a '91 LS with digital climate control (the USDM version). Installation of the unit requires a outside temp sensor under the grille, another electric eye that detects sunlight so that it knows if it's day or night to control air flow, a interior temp sensor, plus all the other stuff mentioned earlier. You might want to check with your local dealer and find out availability of the USDM unit unless Subaru cancelled the item with the redesign in '94. The JDM unit is probably just as rare as the USDM version, and I don't think it was offered in the EDM.

I've had two sales reps and a parts manager who sold Subarus during the '90's and all have never seen the USDM digital climate control unit. One rep took pictures of mine.

To tell u the truth, it can be a good thing however it might also be a bad thing because if it fails uur screwed, but atleast with the manual one know worries. Yet its cool, but as nipper said u need to get all thosse sensors installed and a motor for the ducts. It would prob be a easier hook up in my 93 leg because it has a push buttom climate where u ppush ac and it switches all the vents and turns on ac.

The USDM unit is a clever piece of kit. If the outside temp is hot and the A/C is on, the unit analyzes the rate of interior cooldown and if it isn't getting cooler fast enough, it automatically shuts off outside air intake until the temp is maintained, then cycles between outside and inside air continuously.

If you are behind someone with smelly exhaust and you manually shut off outside air, the unit will override your selection after 10 minutes, to reduce carbon monoxide buildup inside.

If it's cold outside and you start the car in the morning for the first time, the heater won't come on until the engine temp increases so that it isn't blowing cold air.

yeah, thats the biggest turn-off for me and actually doing something like that is the fact that electronics tend to fail as they age (in my experiences, they fail all the time) aand, while its cool to look at, it won't really do anything i can't do already (except be non-sticky until coffee spills on it from the bad placement of the cupholders)

The USDM unit is a clever piece of kit. If the outside temp is hot and the A/C is on, the unit analyzes the rate of interior cooldown and if it isn't getting cooler fast enough, it automatically shuts off outside air intake until the temp is maintained, then cycles between outside and inside air continuously.

If you are behind someone with smelly exhaust and you manually shut off outside air, the unit will override your selection after 10 minutes, to reduce carbon monoxide buildup inside.

If it's cold outside and you start the car in the morning for the first time, the heater won't come on until the engine temp increases so that it isn't blowing cold air.

O never knew cool, it is pretty sifisicated, whoa.

yeah, thats the biggest turn-off for me and actually doing something like that is the fact that electronics tend to fail as they age (in my experiences, they fail all the time) aand, while its cool to look at, it won't really do anything i can't do already (except be non-sticky until coffee spills on it from the bad placement of the cupholders)

Ya lol in my sub the cup holder is right infront of the climate unit, so i can see it happening. lol.