Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A possible tough upcoming choice for me (no, I can't buy both!)...one may not be available anyway.

1993 Legacy Turbo, auto, generally excellent/mint, rebuilt engine, many new parts and assys, 161K - cost about $6K w/1 yr warranty

or

1998 GT Ltd with 60K, very nice condition. auto, will cost about $8.5K

I would check Kelly Blue Book prices on both cars. I would suspect the turbo is overpriced for the year and condition. GT seems about right. Check KBB and make your own decision based on that. Also, I would spend $100 or so on whichever you decide and take it to another independent shop for a "pre-buy inspection."

Contrary to grossgary, I WOULD get the 2.5, since I didn't think the HG issue is as common as we all on this board make it out to be (after all, most people come here first when they have problems with their Subies -- meaning we're gonna get more than our share of HG issues reported here) and second, the HG change isn't a big deal if you are capable of doing that kind of mechanical work yourself.

If not, then be aware that somewhere between 3% and 15% (depending on which statistics you believe) of these engines develop Head Gasket leaks at or before 100,000 miles, and if you have to pay for HG replacement it can set you back over $1000, depending on who does the work for you.

the turbo seems expensive. there's a local selling a 93/94 legacy turbo for $2,000 appears to be in great shape. i'm tempted but i'm moving.

I thought so a bit....but then a complete rebuilt motor with no miles, custom paint (if I didn't mention that, it was repainted...candy apple red first coat, winestone second coat, clear third coat), underside parts like struts, cv, wheel bearings, etc replaced....and a 1 year warranty (will be written)....new tires and rims...

I priced a 93 turbo pp here in the seattle area to be about 3K for excellent condition....so.......

I think part of the decison will be easier (a) the 98 may not be available (B) when I see the 93, it may be immaculate looking in and out, which would make the decision easier...

Also just saw a 98 Legacy GT ltd, w/64K...he's asking 9K....

rebuilt motor, bring it if it's known to be rebuilt and known to be a good job. entire block? just head gaskets? turbo gaskets, water/oil lines? sounds like a good car if it's a quality rebuild.

He has an "assy line" where they take out the motor from the car, separate it in half and redo ALL (according to him). He has a guy that's all he does, engine rebuilds....he also has a mechanic and a body/paint guy....

well, the 98 looks pretty good....I did notice a few small things so will have a soobie mechanic check it out.

The 93 was a letdown. The paint looked very nice, if one could see through the dirt....engine seemed to have a lot of power, but didn't look as nice as it could...check engine light was on....the interior was still not so good....He should not have had me see it in that condition...needed finishing and a good detail.

So down to 1 now...

The 98 Leg GT LTD owner and I spoke and he will let the car go for $7500....he said I could take it or leave it after having the eval done.

I tried researching prices on CL, etc....but didn't find enough info. It has just a few miles less that 60K and is in decent condition...few dings and that's about it.

Do we think it's worth even having an eval done at that price?

I would have to meet him tomorrow evening at my mech so hoping to get a few opinions to help decide....I am right on the border on this one!

[

Do we think it's worth even having an eval done at that price?

!

eval() evaluates the string given in code_str as PHP code???

them cars are coded in php now ? LOL

btw i have no idea what eval stands for if thats not a clue by now :(

ryry

I would have to meet him tomorrow evening at my mech so hoping to get a few opinions to help decide....I am right on the border on this one!

I'm not sure what to say because I'm not really sure what you're looking for. Both cars you picked were quite different (age, miles, price pt, body, options). the only thing they apparently had in common was they were both sedans. To me $7.5 seems high- but I have no idea what the market is like in your area. It seems like this seller is banking on someone who wants a loaded legacy gt with reasonably low miles. if this is exactly what you are looking for, then you may have no choice but buy it at his price. but if you just want a cheap "sedan," I'd probably just keep looking.

eval = mechanic evaluation

The other one is out...but I was trying to figure out if 7.5K for a 60K miles gt ltd is an OK price...sounds like you think it's high.

I don't really know what they go for in the Seattle area, as I couldn't find anything too similar to compare.