Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oregon off-road tour. help needed!

So... here's the plan.

Im gonna take 5 days to drive to the WCSS this year, and I wanna camp and wheel all over oregon on the way up. The plan is to drive 4 or 5 hours, find a campsite, setup camp... wheel, goto sleep... wake up, wheel... drive another 4-5hrs, setup camp... etc...etc...

So far, ive set stops for Klammath Falls, then we'll drive from K-falls to Eugene. So Im wondering where's some good places around eugene to camp and wheel?

Then from there... we'll need another stop about 4-6 hours north of there. That will most likely be the last stop before Hood River. Planning on making Hood River on Thursday night where we can setup camp somewhere, wheel... that way we're not too far from the show and can arive Friday mid-day/afternoon.

Taking suggestions, and also extending a welcome for anyone who would like to join us. So far, its just me and Jibs and possibly even NV Zeno.

Thanks,

-Brian

Yeah i did the map thing, and it looks like Eugene is only about 4 hrs from the show.

So i think maybe we'll stay on 97 and not goto Eugene. We'll see. Would still like suggestions on some places to wheel tho. Nothing too extreme, we still have to drive to the show and back to Cali.

-Brian

When I was going to college in Klamath Falls, I played around on the trails above Hagelstein Park. Most of them are fine for stock GLs as long as the driver isn't being stupid. Oh watch out for cows, one time I came around a corner and there was a big cow and her calf. It was a bit of a oh crap moment.

Couple of my favorites are FS 9718 to the turn off to go up Swan Lake Point. Take the turn off, the view of Eastern Oregon is :headbang: .

The other is FS 5810, it's really more of a rally type road then an off road trail but it's a nice 13 mile stretch of fun driving. It ends near the town of Chiloquin and US97 is about 2 miles from the end of the trail.

Thats what i like to hear Craig! THANKS! I have map software that lists forest service roads, and Im thinking we'll probably stick to roads like that and maybe branch off on some trails if we pass by them.

I'll look up these roads you speak of, and see if they're near the campsite i found.

-Brian

You should seriously look at taking the inland route all the way. Just cruise 97 straight to the gorge. A few minutes south of Bend, there is a nice State Park (LaPine State Rec Area.) - cabins, yurts, and tenting spots. Showers. And you could spend DAYS running the trails near there.

If you want, you can take 26 out of Madras, then on to 35 near Trillium Lake, and end up right at Hood River when you hit the gorge. Lots of mountain driving that way.

If you are going to go up 97 you might want to check out Christmas Valley

you turn on to hwy.31 out of LaPine..... If you like playin in the sand and dunes that is your place..... It is awesome out there, sand dunes as far as you can see and lots of jack rabbits to chase around...five points for the small ones and ten for the big ones (they are much faster):grin:......Anyway hope that gives you another idea..

Aloha..

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, looks like our stops have been finalized. We'll be staying Tuesday night in Klamath Falls, or nearby. Wednesday night we're going to be in or around Bend... then from there we're gonna make our way up to Mount Hood. This will give us alot of extra time to play around in or around Mt. Hood. From what Soobyclimbs said, there is alot of wheeling to be done up there.

Anyone planning on going to the show a few days early? Wanna tag along? I'll most likely compile some maps and schedule stops here in a week or so.

-Brian

Anyone planning on going to the show a few days early? Wanna tag along? I'll most likely compile some maps and schedule stops here in a week or so.

I might be interested in tagging along! Sounds like you have a good trip planned out. I'm chomping at the bit to try out my recently installed lift and offroad front bumper!

I just need to get my schedule figured out to see if I can take two weeks off, since I'd plan to visit some friends near Seattle after the show.

Why not swing by Eugene and visit our friend?

We were trying to decide if that would make any difference at all. We'll most likely stop by AFTER the show as I don't want to spoil a perfectly good trip up there on John. We'll see.

Let us know. We'll be departing Reno NV Monday afternoon. Thats the 22nd probably around 7 or 8pm. We'll most likely make it to Susanville for our 1st night.

-Brian

Hey when I made my trip to Reno a few weeks ago; on the way back I decided to stay on 395, all the way to Alturas before heading over to Kfalls. It's a nicer and quicker drive then going through the mountains from Susanville to Kfalls. It's mostly a straight highway with plenty of room to pass the trucks. I was able to average 70 without any problem.