Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Very Impressed with my new Subaru

My wife and I just bought an 05' Legacy Sedan, 2.5i Boxer engine, auto tranny.

I've always new subaru built a great and extremely capable car. But outside of the World Rally Championships, (Go Petter Solberg) I've never seen what a sube can do.

On July 4th, we went out to the beach to watch the shuttle launch. (we live on an island on the east coast of florida just south of Kennedy Space Center.) The only place to park was in this really soft, sink to your ankles beach sand. My wife told to find somewhere else to park, but me being stubourn, I went ahead anyway. (despite seeing all manor of cars stuck, and even a couple of 4wd's who waited to shift into 4wd till after they where stuck.:lol: )

Well we went and parked our car, and got out and watched the shuttle launch.... by the time we got back to where we had parked, the sand was all churned up infront and behind our car from people getting stuck and digging themselves out. So we wound up driving through rutted soft sand to get out. The legacy never even struggled.. It just went when I hit the gas... we weaved around stuck car after stuck car, with everybody staring at us as we went... people on top of a motor home were pointing and waving as we went. when we got our car out of the way, we went back and helped others get unstuck. After that we had a crowd of people wanting to see the sube... so we spent a half hour explaining the car to them.... It was a trip...

I traded a 4wd ford ranger offroad for my subaru... and though I really miss my truck. (a fractured vertibrae in my back caused me to have to leave 4wd till i can afford a nice luxery 4wd like a landrover) But now I wouldn't trade my legacy for anything. Well almost anything.... Maybe a subaru Baja...

Thank You Subaru.........:D

My wife and I just bought an 05' Legacy Sedan, 2.5i Boxer engine, auto tranny.

I've always new subaru built a great and extremely capable car. But outside of the World Rally Championships, (Go Petter Solberg) I've never seen what a sube can do.

On July 4th, we went out to the beach to watch the shuttle launch. (we live on an island on the east coast of florida just south of Kennedy Space Center.) The only place to park was in this really soft, sink to your ankles beach sand. My wife told to find somewhere else to park, but me being stubourn, I went ahead anyway. (despite seeing all manor of cars stuck, and even a couple of 4wd's who waited to shift into 4wd till after they where stuck.:lol: )

Well we went and parked our car, and got out and watched the shuttle launch.... by the time we got back to where we had parked, the sand was all churned up infront and behind our car from people getting stuck and digging themselves out. So we wound up driving through rutted soft sand to get out. The legacy never even struggled.. It just went when I hit the gas... we weaved around stuck car after stuck car, with everybody staring at us as we went... people on top of a motor home were pointing and waving as we went. when we got our car out of the way, we went back and helped others get unstuck. After that we had a crowd of people wanting to see the sube... so we spent a half hour explaining the car to them.... It was a trip...

I traded a 4wd ford ranger offroad for my subaru... and though I really miss my truck. (a fractured vertibrae in my back caused me to have to leave 4wd till i can afford a nice luxery 4wd like a landrover) But now I wouldn't trade my legacy for anything. Well almost anything.... Maybe a subaru Baja...

Thank You Subaru.........:D

Cool! I'd have been glowing. :)

I just got my 2006 Legacy Sedan. I still have my 2000 Outback Wagon (which I'll be selling) and I really loved the way that car could get me around in any weather. I drive about 70 miles roundtrip daily to/from work and I've never missed a day of work due to weather. My boss has been amazed that I've shown up when I travel a lot further than people who report off due to bad roads. I just laugh and say, "but I've got a Subaru."

So your story pleases me because I am wondering if the sedan, with its lower ground clearance and low profile tires, will get me around the the wagon did.

Today is oppresively hot and humid here in Western Pennsylvania (everyone is staying indoors) and I'm lying here dreaming about driving my subie in a great snowstorm.

Last winter I was comming home from work and on a back road a car had lost control and the road was blocked because of it and the plow truck which couldn't get around it. The road is not heavily traveled but we sat there long enough that about 5 cars (including mine) was setting in traffic waiting for the tow truck to get the car moved. It was a beautiful snowstorm and some drivers were out of their cars conversing. I decided I'd waited long enough and said I'm turning around and taking an even less traveled road. A guy in a 4x4 pickup truck was heading in the same direction and warned that that road would be even less passable. I laughed and said, "I've got this Subaru. It never lets me down." Laughing, I added, "follow me, I'll cut a path in for you to follow." He shook his head and declined the offer, saying he'd take a much longer but presumably safer detour. I had absolutely no problem getting home. It was a peaceful drive, actually, as the newly fallen snow was thick and deep and I was completely alone on this road. It was beautiful. And I was completely confident my car would handle the trip.

Priceless.

I remember in a parking lot there was snow that was 50cm tall!!!! So we really need batteries, so my dad made a run and made it right into the parking lot somehow with blizzak tires (by the way 93 legacy wagon) and we were amazed this low car would go without struggling!! then we parked, and we came back moments latter and we thought we were stuck, but eventaually it launched,without stepping out of the vehicle, amazing with such little ground clearance.

When I was at the Dealer looking at cars. It was the Outback wagon that I was interested in, with it's higher ground clearance and beefier looks. But they had such a great deal on the Legacy Sedan we bought I couldn't pass it up.

"So your story pleases me because I am wondering if the sedan, with its lower ground clearance and low profile tires, will get me around the the wagon did."

What I've found so far:

You need to be mindful of the terrain your on.... I've been down some trails here... Getting from one area here to another... Everything is so spread out here, so I take short cuts using my GPS.

I've been very careful, because the car doesn't have the ground clearance that my truck had, but I'm still taking most of the short cuts I know.

I can hear the grass under the car on some of the trails, and when I was in the deep sand at the beach I could hear the sand on the bottom of the car at points... But it never slowed down...

I'm not about to go rock crawling or muddin' with the Legacy, but snow, sand, trail riding... fair game.:clap:

Lovin' it...

I love this kind of story! Subaru's AWD just works so well. All the imitators from VW, Audi, Volvo and so on are useless in the loose stuff.

I would have loved being there to witness the faces on the owners of all those "off road vehicles" as a compact family sedan whizzed past :clap:

i live on Long Island (NY), i am three miles form the ocean, Long Beach. Long beach has limited parking, but there is this one block called the "superblock". It had been site of many attempted super size construction products. The block is also dirt and sand, and people are allowed to park there at thier own risk. With my 97 OBW i never have to worry about finding a parking space. i just pop the car in low to force the AWD and go off on my way. i can always find a parking space.

Also ive gone to many events where parking in a feild is all thats left, and ive never questioned any open parking space with any subaru ive had.

nipper

I was recently down at a local park on the Rogue River here in Southern Oregon. I had brought my kids down to play in water and sand. I had backed my Baja down real close to the river in loose sand and parked it. I guess it must have looked stuck, bacause I was sitting in drivers seat with door open reading a book and this older gentleman in a Suburban drove over to where we were at. I thought 'what the heck does he want?'! He asked me if I needed help getting my car out of the sand. I laughed and thanked him then started up the Baja and pulled it forward a few feet to show him I was not stuck! He asked if it was 4wd, and I informed him that all Subaru's are now AWD. He then went on his way.

I love my Subaru!:)

Spacinjason

'06 Baja Turbo MT:burnout:

• 2 weeks later...

Why we were there that day.....:headbang:

2619669730035295334ksQJHt_ph.jpg

Three weeks later parked on sand hill in same lot... looking towards the beach

2316944710035295334YNPMQg_ph.jpg

This is the sand box.... you can still see some of the holes and ruts from that day even though we've had many severe rain storms since then....

2958741680035295334mUhZmA_ph.jpg

2436495960035295334qBVaXK_ph.jpg

Wish I had thought to take pictures of the stuck cars there that day...

Will be back here for the August shuttle launch so watch out for some funny stuck pics....:grin:

Did you have to deflate the tires?

I didn't do squat but jump in, put it in drive, and hit the gas.... no wheel spin, it just launched...

the pics above don't show how loose the sand is... It rained heavy yesterday and the day before, and the day before that.... etc.. so the sand right now is like the packed wet beach sand... but I still wouldn't try it in my wifes 04' Grand Am GT...

I'll be going there again for the next shuttle launch to see it go up... (and to again laugh at the people stuck...):grin: I will also be helping the get unstuck.. can't just leave the tourists there.. bad form.

Let's see. I'm in CA so I don't have much as far as bad weather goes. I did travel north to Seattle to help a friend move, and crossing the border into OR on I5, there was a "chains required" area. The spotter pulled me over and said I needed chains. I told him I was in a Subaru, and he said "Oh, OK. Go on" :cool:

I was recently down at a local park on the Rogue River here in Southern Oregon. I had brought my kids down to play in water and sand. I had backed my Baja down real close to the river in loose sand and parked it. I guess it must have looked stuck, bacause I was sitting in drivers seat with door open reading a book and this older gentleman in a Suburban drove over to where we were at. I thought 'what the heck does he want?'! He asked me if I needed help getting my car out of the sand. I laughed and thanked him then started up the Baja and pulled it forward a few feet to show him I was not stuck! He asked if it was 4wd, and I informed him that all Subaru's are now AWD. He then went on his way.

I love my Subaru!:)

Spacinjason

'06 Baja Turbo MT:burnout:

You showed him man!