Ultimate Subaru Message Board

De-powerizing the steering?

Ok... I still haven't yet gone and replace the brushes in my cybrid steering pump, but the pump also leaks pretty badly and I can't find anyone who sells the seal/o-ring kit for this thing (not even the dealership I got the brushes from).

As I understand, part of the reason the steering is so heavy now is because the fluid in the system resists the turning of the wheel, because it's not flowing through the system, correct?

If this is true, is it possible to drain the fluid from the system and somehow "cap off" the rack so there's no fluid in it, and none can enter it? Would this make feel more like an XT DL sans power steering? And would it run reliably this way, or is the fluid also some sort of lubricant and use in this manner will cause steering system failure in the short term?

(I ask this because I'm not sure this cybrid pump is rebuildable... and $450 for a new pump vs... ??? for disabling the system?)

Part of the reason your steering is so stiff right now, is the rack's lock-to-lock ratio is designed for power. You could cap off the lines on the rack, but you'd want to leave fluid in it for lubrication. Power Racks are designed to have lubrication.

Best solution if you wanna go manual steering, put in a manual steering rack.

Part of the reason your steering is so stiff right now, is the rack's lock-to-lock ratio is designed for power. You could cap off the lines on the rack, but you'd want to leave fluid in it for lubrication. Power Racks are designed to have lubrication.

Best solution if you wanna go manual steering, put in a manual steering rack.

Know of one that fits? Just in case...

so its really just a matter of removing the power steering pump/assembly, and replacing the power rack with a manual rack???? thats friggin awesome....

is this really how simple it is to go non power steering on a ea82? i have a 87 gl10..

On my hatchback (the Hornet) I took the PS pump off and just hooked the two PS rack fittings together with a small loop of hose.

Since the car is pretty light, steering is pretty much like an old heavy car with manual steering. I don't have any problems getting it around in town, although parking can sometimes require a little grunt.

With a manual rack, the gearing is so nice that you might not even notice that it's a manual rack.

Good luck finding an EA82 manual rack. Almost all were power.

The power rack in my EA81 wagon is easier to steer with no PS belt than the manual rack in my Brat. That said, I did drive an EA82 manual once, and I couldn't tell it didn't have power. Was very smooth - much better than the EA81 manual racks.

GD

I have two 86 gl wagons - one with p/s and one without. I can't tell any difference between the two except when stopped.

Can you tell me how many turns it is stop to stop on the manual rack??

Me and Ben are considering getting rid of the PS on the SVX Racer. The two options right now are; adding an XT6 pump or putting on a manual ea82 rack.

Can you tell me how many turns it is stop to stop on the manual rack??

Me and Ben are considering getting rid of the PS on the SVX Racer. The two options right now are; adding an XT6 pump or putting on a manual ea82 rack.

Manual steering is 4 3/4 turns lock to lock, p/s is 3 3/4 turns lock to lock.

I tell you what my EA82 wagon has a manual rack and when i got in my moms car with PS i almost crashed into the wall because it was so easy to turn I Cranked on the wheel like in my wagon and that wheel went over real quick and easy... :eek: so there is a big difference :-p

With a manual rack, the gearing is so nice that you might not even notice that it's a manual rack.