Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How long should clutch last?

Hello Subaru Gurus,

I have a 93 Loyale FWD and it appears the clutch is on the verge of needing replacement. It isn't to the point that starting from a stop the tach outpaces the speedometer. However, at highway speed, if I try to abruptly accelerate, the tach then begins to move with no change in speed. The car has 103K miles on it. The Subaru dealer said it is recommended to be replaced at 100K.

Does it sound as if I should replace it or is it a cable adjustment? This car has never left me stranded on the road, so if it is advisable to replace the clutch, then I will do so. I trust the advice I get here more than the dealer or any shop.

Hello Subaru Gurus,

I have a 93 Loyale FWD and it appears the clutch is on the verge of needing replacement. It isn't to the point that starting from a stop the tach outpaces the speedometer. However, at highway speed, if I try to abruptly accelerate, the tach then begins to move with no change in speed. The car has 103K miles on it. The Subaru dealer said it is recommended to be replaced at 100K.

Does it sound as if I should replace it or is it a cable adjustment? This car has never left me stranded on the road, so if it is advisable to replace the clutch, then I will do so. I trust the advice I get here more than the dealer or any shop.

I just changed my clutch in my Loyale FWD back in Sept....It wasnt totally bad yet( didnt slip one bit but did shutter in certain gears) but it had 193,000 miles on it. But this all depends on how you drive it

where does the clutch engage in the clutch pedals movement?

If it engages near the middle of the pedal movement, then I'd say your clutch is about done and needs replaced.

If it engages at one extreme or the other, then I'd say the cable needs adjusted, and tested again after the adjustment.

where does the clutch engage in the clutch pedals movement?

If it engages near the middle of the pedal movement, then I'd say your clutch is about done and needs replaced.

If it engages at one extreme or the other, then I'd say the cable needs adjusted, and tested again after the adjustment.

It engages in the middle of the travel. I guess I need to replace it

Really it just depends on how the car has been driven to how much gear everything in it has. Clutches can last ages, or they can wear out very quick. If the last owner (or you) liked to make fast starts, do burnouts, or didn't know how the use a clutch, it could wear out pretty quick.

If you start off in first and put your foot down till it gets to 6000RPM, does it slip? This is normally when the clutch is under the most pressure to perform, and more likelly to slip.

I normally adjust my cable so there is a bit of slop at the top of the peddle (as in you can push it half an inch without the lever on the bellhousing moving. That should put the engauging area around the middle.

My loyale slipped too, and even my old cool running dl had its spells. Remembering my old neighbors 79 sube and constant clutch probs---

Don't just up and replace it. Could be as simple as something tiny debris stuck in there, hill holder, engine heat the guage doesn't get, bad tranny fluid, air flow problems, radiator, even thermostat. Leaky a/c getting in there does bizarre things.(any oil). Front end sitting higher than the back end is a phenomanol "middle of the engine" heat maker, causing clutch probs. Odds are its pretentious. At 103 k, I am willing to bet, is *nothing* but a bad spell. To take the clutch out and look it over and find nothing is frustrating. The more miles to bake it in, needs more miles to hold it -- then off to more miles than ever for durability. It can be acheived by just driving around and finding that point of slip and work it after all adjustmnets and fluids/cooling tune-up are good. Bad resonance on a clutch is bad. causing bad resonace can be as simple as a weak spark plug. My last spell with my current loyale was on the highway running warm and timing belt on one side off a tooth-- I floored it and let it slip till a burn smell and it grabbed. Replacing the belt and timing it brought another spell with clutch and I did the same thing to buzz it back in. I can literally go burn the tires now, and it never happened again. Glazed clutch parts aren't bad once you get grip -- its pricelessly durable. :) .

It is quite a precise game with it. I first learned it in an older tractor trailer with ceramic coated clutch parts. Every time an injector went bad, clutch slipped. I applied this resonance/power theory to my cars ever since.It is very much the same. I bet a clogged air filter could change old clutch enough to be problems...

Hello Subaru Gurus,

a clutch can last 60,000 miles, can last till 200,000 miles, it really depends upon the driver and the driving conditions. On my gl i got 140,000 out of the original clutch.

You need a clutch, its starting to slip. Also replace the clutch cable, as they seem to go about 1000 miles after the clutch is replaed (murphies law).

There is no recomneded interval for replacing a clutch, you replace it when it starts to slip.

nipper

Hi!.

I Agree that it depends on How you Drive, etc... but Let me Tell you Something:

I Thing that is not the Clutch Disc, Just the Press.

Why? well... My White Wagon EA82 had the Same Issue, I Changed the Clutch Disc, and the problem gone just for a While, due to a more thicker disc. But when time passed -not much- the problem came again.

Well, I didn´t changed the Clutch Press Yet, (Press is called Here, I don´t know if that´s the right word in English, but I hope you´ll understand) but I done it to a Friend´s Subie that was in identical situation, and it Corrected the Problem, an it has about two years and still going good.

well, I hope that can help you... Good Luck!

:)

Hi!.

I Agree that it depends on How you Drive, etc... but Let me Tell you Something:

I Thing that is not the Clutch Disc, Just the Press.

Why? well... My White Wagon EA82 had the Same Issue, I Changed the Clutch Disc, and the problem gone just for a While, due to a more thicker disc. But when time passed -not much- the problem came again.

Well, I didn´t changed the Clutch Press Yet, (Press is called Here, I don´t know if that´s the right word in English, but I hope you´ll understand) but I done it to a Friend´s Subie that was in identical situation, and it Corrected the Problem, an it has about two years and still going good.

well, I hope that can help you... Good Luck!

:)

its called a pressure plate universaly. You have a pressure plate, clutch disc, throw out bearing and a pilot bearing. Due to the amount of work involved you replace all parts at the same time. Also a glazed clutch disc with a new pressure plate means you have to do everything all over again.

Its a hell of a gamble, i would not recomned it to anyone, its like replacing one brake pad.

nipper

I had a problem with my Thrust bearing/"Throwout bearing" on my clutch too. It was too small for my pressure plate. By the look of it the replacement clutch that was put on was made for a EA82 thrust bearing (which are bigger) but it still have the EA81 bearing on it. So after a while it wore oddly and coused the thrust bearing to push on a weird angle. The only way around this I found was to get a different bearing (not even for a subaru) that had the same size inner as the EA81's but larger outter size. I pressed this onto the EA81 thrust bearing holder, and it's been working great for over 9 months now.

But I am pretty sure that the poster of this thread just has a worn clutch. A replacement clutch kit will most likely fix the problem.