Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Saab wheels and sube == saabube?

I spotted an unusual saab turbo driving by a dealership and pulled right in (there's like 1 in 100 cars that catch my eye) but anyway, there was 2 alloy wheels and a 4 bolt pattern sitting next to it. I looked at the other saabs and noticed a familiar pattern. I just checked on the web and lo and behold, they are same? some really sharp lookin alloys on those cars sometimes :slobber:

5.5 inch == 140mm?

check these out:

http://jpowell.tripod.com/saab-wheels/

I just found 108mm X 4 pattern to be common (center to center). There is enough beef to gain the 16 mm larger on each hole on most of the alloys. taking at least 5 mm to outside of the saab stud , subtract from 16 would be 10-11 mm away from current saab pattern.... it seems very likely a possibility. I had a set of universal wheels on a 3000lb chevelle that utilized washers on elongated holes to get the pattern correct. I have no doubts about final integrity -- may not even need to elongate holes, just enough to drill more and leave a small space.hmmm... I didn't find a saab alloy I didn't like the looks of from that site.:)

hey, found these saab wheels and on a hunch grabbed them cheap by the side of the road... then a mile or two up the road.. a whole saab for an even better deal with 4 more of the same alloys. I do have a machining question- Is there a means to 3.5 inch drill the center out at a machine shop? (can call tomorrow to find out, but I figured to ask here amongst the wheel hackers).Was going to do myself on drill press and a diamond steel/concrete bit but the press isn't big enough. Upon measuring offset, I got excited, it will fit in the wheel wells! Looks pretty too :) 15x6 saab

saabwheel1lq9.jpg

So have you messured the stud pattern? What year Saab's are we looking at?

it is a loooong running same wheel with number changes and small details -- can be found on any given saab from 1969-1998 on the different saab model numbers (thats the model number changes--same exact wheel)

oh the width was 5.5 (even better to match the sube for power steering and rack stress). Saab bolt pattern is 108x4, my intention is to get center drilled out for a tight fit like a sube wheel now and drill holes between current holes-- it would kinda look like an enkai 4-lug universal. I know it can be drilled, but I am not exactly full of choices on local machining, so I could be stuck. It doesn't even need a diamond bit, a carbon one would get it done. :rolleyes:

... http://rockcrawler-mrt.com/boltpatternref.html

says that Saab wheels are 4x114.3mm or 4x4-1/2"...

yes your right, I ended up with 108 upon thinking of drilling near same holes. I don't even pay attention to mm on my caliper.. I did get the 4.5 inch. Easily fit the 140mm (5.5) within the center plate , which is all steel backing too,well beyond current holes. made me even more confident.

Sounds all interesting, when do you think you'll have pictures for us? :brow:

I guess I wait till tomorrow to find out.. seems likely just drilling a darn hole is a common task at a mchine shop. It is not exactly 3.5 inch center hole by sube (I don't believe -- tell me if I am wrong). so I will bring a sube wheel and the alloy so maybe they can figure exact measurements. The only drawback to this saab wheel is bead leakage (notorious for it on the old alloys) it only happens after many many miles and years, most can be saved by wire brushing clean and using bead sealer on new tires. will find out soon enough-- I think there is 3 shops (thats all) I can check locally. I am so tempted to try this on my own with a hand drill.. but it absolutely has to be precise. :confused: Once center is drilled, a hub with no studs would be precise guide, fit to the wheel and hand drill away simply.

Only problem I can see with your method is the wheels might only fit the hub they were centered on. Thus you would not be able to move the wheels around the car to even the wear... And spare might be a little hard to do. Unless you get all the studs VERY accurate.

This saab wheel is a no go. I measured a bit more closely this morning and it is way too close for the 140mm studs to be in a safe spot. Worth a shot to check out tho.

On a whim I grabbed them cheap, didn't have chance to really take time and measure -- I won't be using them.

Convert to the 5 lug or nothing at all for me -- that seems to be a rarity too. What a freakin shame, is it 30 years of 140mm x4 by subaru? Not one person stepped up to be a multimillionare with 15 inch street rims for a 4x140mm sube cheaply. Incredible.I can go find 12 brands of toilet paper for 69 cents, but no sube wheel that ran for a couple of decades with 4 bolt is gonna get a 15 inch wheel.:confused:

I guess am off to paint the bent 13's until this old ea82 driveline is finally ready to retire.:)

I wonder if I may make a suggestion. I noticed about a year ago a member had his hubs re-drilled to 4x120mm. I believe it was a member by the name of subusolo2nut. He has a web site that showed what he did to his 82 GLF and the wheels he put on it. The 4x120mm is the old vw beetle 4 lug pattern. There are plenty of wheels for that pattern.

His website which shows some of the work on his car is:

http://performancebydesign.netfirms.com/subaru.html

Perhaps there are other limiting factors to consider, but you could check it out.

matrixops

... http://rockcrawler-mrt.com/boltpatternref.html

says that Saab wheels are 4x114.3mm or 4x4-1/2"...

Has anyone actually called Marsh Custom Wheels and asked what a custom 4X140 wheel would cost?:confused:

It looks as though these guys would be capable of building such a creature?

Ordering a few sets makes quite a few rims for a custom production run.

I haven't called. I did find a 130mm pattern for porsche, vw 1971-82 from that page tho. Upon quick search for hackable wheels by 5mm each hole. I found this very good candidate-

The offset from here looks way too far out (1 inch or so seems to be limit for the old sube) anyone hacked a porsche wheel? this one is 15x5.5

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswagen-Porsche-914-8-Spoke-Mag-Wheels-4-lug_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34209QQihZ011QQitemZ320011588923QQrdZ1

I believe that is correct. I don't know why I thought the vw pattern was 4x120mm. I am planning on doing this to my Hatch after I get the rust repair completed (or I find a better body to swap my drivetrain and interior into....).

If you are looking for an offroad style rim with the vw lug pattern, you could probably find sites that carry them for dune buggies and offroad baja beetles.

Just some ideas to look at.

In a realistic daydream, as your casual investor-

to this day I would step and make 100,000 15x5.5 inch 4lug @140mm with exactly a 1" offset, and walk away. Then on to international sales to sell 1,000,000 more of them to trailer companies as heavy duty, then take my percentage of 400million dollars and buy a 93 loyale wagon with 360,000 miles on its original engine to take a cross country journey on my new wheels that could...:lol: Somebody slap me I'm losin it....