Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Also, if you feel competent about doing exhaust work yourself (and since you don't live in a state like California where working on your own exhaust system is a criminal offense, you can choose to do this), you will have a really good deal there.

Keep in mind that you're not going to get anywhere near the oomph of your 2.5 GT, but you're not likely to have any of its most common problems, either! :D

The only other thing I'd recommend checking out is the way it handles in turns. If it has any evidence of torque bind, since it is a MT, I'd avoid it. Center diff/coupler replacement on a MT is, as you've probably seen posted here before, a very pricy proposition.

I'd say that's a pretty good price if the rest of the car is in good shape, exhaust noted. I'd check for torque bind too and give it a good look over. Maybe if you hmm and haw enough you can even get it for less. :banana:

wow.. I would jump at that! My 96 has 220,000 miles and is still going strong!! I wouldnt sell mine for less than 5k.... but would be happy to buy a new one like that for that price!

badjer

I can get a 96 OB with 2.2 liter with 135k on it, new clutch stock options with exhaust problems for $1800. Is it worth it?

Sounds like a good deal to me, but also be careful of the airbags, my 96 Legacy OBW blew when they should not have.

Thanks for the clarification, JohnnyB.

No problem, easy to remember when you have one (96GT). Also remember being a little upset that they did away with the premium fuel recommendation with the 97MY. With the price of gas, I have been using non-premium fuel on occasion, only downside I notice so far is a slight decrease in mileage.