Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, just curious, does the Forester Sport have a turbo? I'm assuming your Passat does?

I guess a good tuneup is always a good place to start, fresh spark plugs, air filter, clean injectors, good gasoline, knock sensor not pulling too much timing, clean fuel filter, no pending OBD codes, etc., if that's all good then I'm not sure! :)

Forester is non-turbo. Passat is supercharged, but it's a 1.8 litre. They both weigh approximately the same, and the Forester has a higher HP rating. Forester has had recent full tuneup, filters, plugs, wires, etc. Checked codes, and only found a pending for the vapor lines, I think it was (prolly had a loose gas cap at some point)

The Passat always feels like it's ready to jump, pulls hills like there's no tomorrow. The Forester feels fairly strong, but just not the same, not like 165 HP should.

Forester is non-turbo. Passat is supercharged, but it's a 1.8 litre. They both weigh approximately the same, and the Forester has a higher HP rating. Forester has had recent full tuneup, filters, plugs, wires, etc. Checked codes, and only found a pending for the vapor lines, I think it was (prolly had a loose gas cap at some point)

The Passat always feels like it's ready to jump, pulls hills like there's no tomorrow. The Forester feels fairly strong, but just not the same, not like 165 HP should.

what are the torque readings?

how much do each vehicle WEIGH?

You might just dig around over at www.nasioc.com . But, unless you wanna put in lighter flywheel/crank pulleys or start removing seats, there may not be much to drastically improve acceleration/HP . There ARE suspension bits they will help stick it to the road and cut a little body roll.

Carl

As stated, both vehicles weigh about the same, and they have close to the same HP/TQ, but the Forester is rated higher.

Guess I'll just have to take it as it is!

they might be rated similarly power-wise, but i bet if you look at a dyno graph, the vw has a longer spectrum of higher power that the forester, which peaks out around 4500 or so, then begins to lose power.

so, the forester might get up to 165ftlbs but it's only there for a span of about 300rpms whereas the vw will be around 165ftlbs for a longer time, which makes it feel faster and more spunky

being several inches higher off the road can seem like going slower I guess.

I dunno

If you suspect there is a problem with the Forester, that could be an issue I guess. Make sure to run the fuel specified and if lower octane fuel has been in it, reset the ECU so the timing advances to suit the higher octane.

Carl

Yup, Passat is AWD. No, it is not just because the Forester is higher off the ground. For example: The Passat pulls harder up the hill out of town in 5th than the Forester does in 4th.

Anyways, I guess it's just the "area under the curve" again. I guess there is a replacement for displacement. It's called a supercharger.

(no, I don't think it's gearing. If anything, I believe the Forester has a slightly lower final gear ratio)

Yup, Passat is AWD. No, it is not just because the Forester is higher off the ground. For example: The Passat pulls harder up the hill out of town in 5th than the Forester does in 4th.

Anyways, I guess it's just the "area under the curve" again. I guess there is a replacement for displacement. It's called a supercharger.

(no, I don't think it's gearing. If anything, I believe the Forester has a slightly lower final gear ratio)

my legacy's 4.11. some are 4.44. your forester is PROBABLY 3.90