Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Taller Gearing?

Guest axgutt

I have a 95 Legacy L wagon, AWD, 5 speed with 180,000 miles. I bought it a couple of months ago, and I just took it on my first long road trip (2000 miles). The one really annoying thing is that it's geared so low. Cruising at 80 mph, which you have to do to not get run over on I-95 in the south, makes the engine turn over 3500 rpms. The engine never hiccuped, but I'm sure it has enough torque that it could maintain that sort of speed at 2500 rpms. Is putting taller tires (and/or rims) an option? How tall could you go before running into clearance problems? Has anyone tried this? Should I just get used to the revs?

Adam

Guest spagemurray

I agree. MY00 OB and rev's its butt off on the hi-way. Theres no logical reason why as it has low range for off-road work. Subaru need to look at this IMO.

Guest 95LEGAWD

Same car-same thought-but then the speedo would be off and you'd have to find somewhere to get a new plastic gear thingy to make it read correctly. Maybe someone else knows where to find or what would work.

Best way(I think) to deal with it is to put in a taller fifth gear-probably about the same $$$ vs new wheels & tires

I'm sure someone else already figured it out-just need to fin out who!!!

Guest CROSSTBOLT

I have had a '01 Forester and have an '03 Baja and both seem to rev high for a 70mph road speed. They were close to the same in reality. Torque peak is in the 3500-4000 rpm area and that is where 5th gear seems to be at 70. The Baja gets 26-28 mpg and both have survived nicely on several 6000 mile road trips to the Pacific Northwest and California.

Run 'er below the red-line and don't worry about it!

Karl

Guest Legacy777

I agree I don't like subaru's 4.111 gearing. That's what's in most or all of the AWD diff's.

I have a 3.70 diff in my FWD legacy. The turbo legacies and a few others had 3.90 gearing. I think it is a good comprimise between the 3.70 & 4.111.

I think the main reason they do it is because with the lower hp motors the lower gearing helps the car be quicker, but as you all have found out, it makes you rev higher at faster speeds.

Don't worry about hurting the engine by revving it that much for long distances. These engines love to rev.....only thing you're going to mainly be sacraficing is gas mileage.

• 7 years later...

So my question would be, what would be the best for an exotic looking kit car sporting the EJ20TT motor and trans in it?

I too would be doing mostly normal driving, but a decent arse spanking to a cocky dude in a civic with a fart box muffler may be in order now and then.:lol:

I want the car to be driveable in any weather, but, be able to have that surge of acceleration that will make peoples jaw drop, and my cheeks peel back.

Should I need to.:)

The vehicle stats are 1800lbs, mid engine, and the motors rumored to have 250HP.

About a 7:1 HP/Weight ratio, just shy of a CBR600's stats.

Edited by ydeardorff

Am I lost?

I too will have the issue of loud revving on I5 to Salem with my girlfriend... I very rarely travel below 70 (even in the slow lane) and I dont want to hear the engine revving at 3000 rpms for over an hour...

Is it possible to change the gear ratios to maybe, just maybe give me 5-10 mph more per gear?

Car: 1991 Legacy L Sedan, 5MT, AWD

Id say regear for lower RPM's on the highway @ speed, then use a varex muff to keep things quiet outdoors.

But the gearing depends greatly on the weight the engine is pushing in realtion to the HP it makes.

And yes, I know in regard to the motorcycle. But it depends on what year and model your talking about. I was referring to it generally.

The stock WRX depending on model and year makes about 10.1 to 11.1 hp to weight.

The 1998 lamborghini diablo's HP is 7.0

(these are based on results found on google)

So anyway, it sounds like both fun and scary at the same time!:)

Id just like to know what would be a better gear ratio for such a light car like mine. Not to mention getting better mileage, on long drives.

I wonder if dropping the gearing enough to get around 1500 RPM's at 65mph would be too low, or even possible.

I sorta dont mind having it hit 3000 rpms constantly etc, because when I need a quick get up and go, I know higher rpms will deliver, but I heard guys that were flooring it til it hit 7000 rpms, like in video games, but I have never taken a car past 5000 rpms and I dont plan on trying since Ive heard it damages the engine.

Is it possible to change the gear ratios to maybe, just maybe give me 5-10 mph more per gear?

WAY more of a pita than it's worth man. Bigger tires are your easiest option. But I think the largest you can fit with stock struts is a 205 60 15 or something like that. But even then the difference in engine speed is only going to be a few hundred rpm.

I sorta dont mind having it hit 3000 rpms constantly etc, because when I need a quick get up and go, I know higher rpms will deliver, but I heard guys that were flooring it til it hit 7000 rpms, like in video games, but I have never taken a car past 5000 rpms and I dont plan on trying since Ive heard it damages the engine.

Exactly. When I'm at freeway speeds, I don't have to downshift to get enough acceleration to pass. But if I'm impatient, I just shove it to 3rd (or 4th if at or above 70 MPH) and pass while hearing the awesome sound that the boxer engine screams :banana:

As for flooring it to near redline, I do that every day. No problems caused by it *knock on wood*

I hope no damaged is caused cuz sometimes I do redline, especially driving a manual and honda hunting :D

I've only Honda-hunted once. Was a Civic Si hatch, easily beat it off the line (yay AWD!) and kept a 1 car lead up until 50MPH in which I felt going any further was pointless.

But really, I don't like street racing that much (that's probably the last time I try). Maybe a closed mountain pass or road circuit would be OK but those are expensive.

As for the gearing, the short gearing makes for great acceleration :banana:

WAY more of a pita than it's worth man. Bigger tires are your easiest option. But I think the largest you can fit with stock struts is a 205 60 15 or something like that. But even then the difference in engine speed is only going to be a few hundred rpm.

if you put on outback struts and tires, we are talking about a regular legacy aren't we, you can change the wheel revs per mile by ~8%. if this corresponds to RPMs then it would reduce them by 8% as well. about -240 at 3000, down to 2760. if you lift the car and and put on larger tires you can reduce it even more.