Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'88 Justy not firing

Just replaced the water pump on an '88 Justy and now that I've gotten everything back together, I can't get it to start. It hasn't been started in about 3 weeks and overheated rather badly before it was parked for repairs. Any one have any idea why it won't fire?

Thanks,

William

:-\

Okay,

Tried changing the plugs just because I really didn't think it would hurt anything and was really needed anyway. While changing the plugs noticed a new symptom. There was moisture on the plugs. Any ideas with this new info,? Head or head gasket gone?

Thanks,

William

How do I do a compression check if the car won't start. Wouldn't it start if the head gasket is blown?

William

when doing a compression check,you don't want the engine to start..you just hook up and bump the engine.

i had a head gasket completely go and the engine just gushed out oil an coolant.

Okay,

Tried changing the plugs just because I really didn't think it would hurt anything and was really needed anyway. While changing the plugs noticed a new symptom. There was moisture on the plugs. Any ideas with this new info,? Head or head gasket gone?

Thanks,

William

Define moisture??? If the engine was`nt firing, there will be some moisture on the plugs>>>fuel???

If you are sure that the droplets are water then it would appear that there is a headgasket problem. Fuel doesn't bead up on the plugs like water does, it just soaks the plugs.

It sounds like you still haven't checked for spark getting to the plugs yet. Place one of the old ones (if you haven't thrown them away yet) in one of the wires and place the plug on a good engine ground point. Then crank the engine to see if you get spark across the gap.