Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i tried doing a search for this and am not coming up with much related to mpg

i had a 91 a few years ago and got a solid 28 in it even doing 80mph on the highway

i am totally expecting the 99 2.2 to get the same, previous owner says she only checked it once but it was 20-21, i was just thinking she was crazy, no way

but i am noticing a few post where numbers are nto too high

i searched high and low for a 2.2 FOR THE GAS MILEAGE!

so please tell me i am going to get close to 30, the government thing that calculates mpg says the 2.2 gets 30 on the hwy and the 2.5 gets about 26-27

soooo guys what is everyone getting?

i will replace the entire fuel injection system and whatever else needs it if this thing gets 20mpg, noooooooooo way, i am not dealing with that

[...]i had a 91 a few years ago and got a solid 28 in it even doing 80mph on the highway

i am totally expecting the 99 2.2 to get the same, previous owner says she only checked it once but it was 20-21, i was just thinking she was crazy, no way

Some people don't know how to accurately calculate gas mileage, and perhaps the previous owner was one of them. Or maybe she was doing local (city) driving, not highway; I find that my '99 OB (2.5L) gas mileage suffers badly on local trips (won't even get EPA city mileage), and I'm usually a conservative driver.

[...]so please tell me i am going to get close to 30, the government thing that calculates mpg says the 2.2 gets 30 on the hwy and the 2.5 gets about 26-27[...]
If everything is running right, the tires are kept inflated a few pounds above spec, and you don't drive like every trip is a track event, you'll probably get at least the EPA gas mileage on the highway. That's also assuming there aren't too many hills on your typical trips; are we talking Arizona mountains or flatlands :) ?

i tried doing a search for this and am not coming up with much related to mpg

i had a 91 a few years ago and got a solid 28 in it even doing 80mph on the highway

i searched high and low for a 2.2 FOR THE GAS MILEAGE!

so please tell me i am going to get close to 30, the government thing that calculates mpg says the 2.2 gets 30 on the hwy and the 2.5 gets about 26-27

soooo guys what is everyone getting?

i will replace the entire fuel injection system and whatever else needs it if this thing gets 20mpg, noooooooooo way, i am not dealing with that

The '91 MPG figures 2.2 engine are 20/27 for 5MT and 4EAT, sedan and wagon 4WD and 22/29 for 5MT and 4EAT, sedan and wagon for FWD. If your MPG seems to be a little low and you've changed all the filters, spark plugs and cleaned injectors with little result, check to see when your Oxygen Sensor (O2) was replaced. My '91 wagon was getting 18-19 until I replaced the original sensor, then the MPG changed in one tankful to 23-24 city driving. Oxygen sensors loose their effectivness if they are older than 4-5 years.

I speak from experience. :)

I average about 24 in my '95 2.2 legacy auto. My PR is 29.5, but I usually get between 22 and 26, depending on how much city driving I do. A/C really hurts it as well.

Regarding oxygen sensors:

Oxygen sensors loose their effectivness if they are older than 4-5 years.

My whole family has Subarus with over 100,000 miles. All have their original oxygen sensors and our mileage seems fine. My dad's Impreza gets 25, my mom's Legacy gets 26-27 (hers is 5-spd). I just am a little skeptical of that assertion.

Brian

My 96' does 26-27 on a long highway trips @75-80mph

In regular driving most of my trips are very short (like 10 minutes) with some occasional 30minute highway runs and my mpg sucks -around 20-21 mpg.

I am thinking about getting a new O2 sensor. Old one is fine in terms of output voltages but might be too old to do the job right.

Just the last fill up in my 91 and I got 28.3, that was city driving back and forth to work. On the highway I get between 31 and 32 doing 75. 5spd legacy wagon...but mine is just starting to break in the engine, I only have 246,000 miles on it. :)

• 1 year later...

My 02 Forester gets 24.6 on average , that is combined highway and surface roads.I drive the speed limit,no fast starts, Mobile 1 oil, synthetic gear lube all around, K&N air filter,35 lbs in the tires.I think that is what it is going to be...I'll never see 30 mpg, although that was mt goal...

I had a MY95 2.2 Legacy AWD sedan that got 22-23 avarage mixed and 28-29 on the highway on trips of 300+ miles at one shot.

I now have MY97 Legacy Wagon 2.2 that gets about the same (22-23) mixed average altought I haven't had it on a long trip yet.

Our MY01 & MY98 2.5 Outbacks gets about 5-10% less than the 2.2's do, closer on the highway, farther apart on the mixed/local driving.

In the WINTER it drops 10% on all of them!!!

When the wife or daughter drive the MPG drops. I always get at least 1 MPG better than they do.

"Removing 100 pounds from your car can boost your mpg by 2%."

That's an interesting stat. Not sure how much control we have over that, though, unless you pick up hitchhikers all the time...or have subwoofers boxed in your hatch...or wanna put a fiberglass front end on your car...or you need go on a diet...or you carry a ton of useless crap in your trunk...

"Removing 100 pounds from your car can boost your mpg by 2%.
weight will matter depending on the car, driver, and type of driving.

probably make more difference in situations where you're accelerating or downshifting more like city or mountain driving.

for highway driving it makes zero difference in my cars. i can make the same 700 mile trip empty or loaded with 400 pounds more than myself and miles per gallon won't change at all.

weight will matter depending on the car, driver, and type of driving.

probably make more difference in situations where you're accelerating or downshifting more like city or mountain driving.

for highway driving it makes zero difference in my cars.[...]

Right! It's all about acceleration.

[physics discussion]:

force = mass x acceleration

-and-

work = force x distance

-so-

work = (mass x acceleration) x distance

Therefore, once you've got the mass moving at a constant speed on level ground (zero acceleration), work is zero no matter the mass and distance -- at least in theory. In actuality, additional mass carried inside a car (so that it doesn't add to air resistance) will cause a slight increase in bearing and tire friction, and very slightly increase fuel consumption when at constant speed.

As Gary said, the energy goes into accelerating the extra weight. That's why carrying more than you have to in mountain driving isn't a good idea, since you fight gravity's acceleration of the additional mass when going uphill, and have to dissipate it as braking heat when slowing/stopping when going downhill.

[/physics discussion] :)

Arizona... well, that's part of the problem. No matter what vehicle I've ever driven in the state of Arizona, the crappy gas with all those additives, sold in the state (by law) kills my mileage. As soon as I start pumping gas in in CA or NV my mileage goes up at least 2 MPG. By Oregon I can watch every tank improve as all the AZ gas is finally gone.

If you haven't done it yet, change your fuel filter! Every trip to Mom's in Phoenix has necessitated a filter on the WA end when I get home. Put in a new air filter too - the dust and smog clogs it up pretty fast. Forget the manual's stated interval - Arizona is murder on filters. And on wipers. And on door seals... whoops, it's just bad for everything...

As I speak, my Imp was getting 26+ in WA but is now getting 24-25 on flat runs on the 101, and cross-town on surface streets (Dunlap, Lincoln, Scottsdale Road) about 24. If it's a hot day, I can get 26 when my tires go up.

You can change everything you want under the hood, but as long as you have to put in the mandated Arizona gas, you won't see great mileage. I speak from over 30 years' experience in driving in the West... yuck...