Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 5sp into GL-10

Jub Nub

i have a 1987 gl-10 wagon with autmatic trans, electronic 4wheel drive. I want to put a five speed with manual high/low 4wheel out of a 1985 gl. theyre both EA82 so it should be cake, right? I am new at this so any help would be great! thanx

I changed over an auto 3-speed to a d/r manual recently and it is fairly straightforward. Check the rear differential on both to make sure that you have the same gear ratios - 3.9 for non-turbo or 3.7 for turbo.

Search through the Older Generation forum for details.

Drain the fluid in both trans before removing.

It looks hard, but it is easy to remove the steering column to change out the pedal assembly. You don't need to remove the collar around the steering column near the firewall. When reassembling, put the steering column in without worring about hooking up the double u-jointer that goes to the steering rack - remove the lower bolt for the necessary play to install the other end on the steerng column.

You'll likely have to change the spedometer cable. Taking off the dash is lots of fun - paractice on the donor car first.

You'll need to put a little electrical jumper to bypass the neutral start.

Wiring up the back-up lights is a little tricky, pm me if you have a problem

Need to use the longer driveshaft from the manual donor car.

Take your time, if possible.

No need to remove the dash to change the speedo cable. I've done it to a three door. Just remove the lower kick panel, follow where the speedo cable enters the firewall up to the back of the dash, and pull.

You'll need the axles from the manual.

If he's going from 3AT to NA manual, the axles are the same. No need to swap.

• 7 months later...

so here's the long overdue update: 5sp in, works good. did the speedo-took the dash out, wasn't too bad. :-\ i practiced on the parts car:) i had to to take the at shifter apart to figure out which wires to jump. for the neutral start switch. what i did is soldered the two big black wires, one yellow stripe on white stripe, because that was the only way the starter would crank. i thought about putting it on a toggle switch I could hide for like a anti-theft device, but if someone wanted it bad enough, they could get it anyway.

Only issues i had are, when shifting from 1 to 2, the shifter seems to catch like it isnt meshing or something, and when its cold it shifts hard in all gears, maybe wrong oil weight? 85-140 is what i have. also the check engine light now comes on after a few minutes whenever i drive it. doesnt seem to be anything in the engine. someone said it could be the tranny temp sensor that is not there anymore.

last thing, dont laugh at me please. i forgot to put new fluid in the rear end when i put it in. i was driving on the the hwy and jmy back tires locked up and i heard a loud clunk. i spun off the road. then i backed out of the ditch that i luckily ended up in without rolling or anything real bad. i took the halfshafts off and drove it home. I havent taken it apart yet to see what i did because i need to drive it everyday.

if anyone has a 3.9 lsd rear i will buy it from them, and i promise ill put new oil in it:-\

this is a great site and you guys area lot of help

that gear oil is way too heavy. I'm running 85w-90, and it's noticeably heavy in the cold (i.e. below zero....start engine, drop clutch into neutral....engine dead).

put some lighter stuff in there, I also HIGHLY recommend a half quart of Rislone Engine (you heard me right) Treatment instead of some of the gear oil. it really helps the synchros mesh!

also, I bet your CEL is the neutral start switch. it's figured out that you're driving around, but the switch still says it's in neutral. So it says something is wrong. you could wire the switch into a switch on the clutch pedal....or live with it.

Hey Chux, have you tried MMO or ATF in the trans?

My RX trans in the wagon shifted a little reluctantly from what I remember (it's been off the road for a couple of years :rolleyes:) and I appreciate the tip about the Rislone. I used it in my Barracuda with every oil change and I think it helped...

Are you using it as a conditioner or as a cleaner (to be changed out after a while)?

Hey Chux, have you tried MMO or ATF in the trans?

My RX trans in the wagon shifted a little reluctantly from what I remember (it's been off the road for a couple of years :rolleyes:) and I appreciate the tip about the Rislone. I used it in my Barracuda with every oil change and I think it helped...

Are you using it as a conditioner or as a cleaner (to be changed out after a while)?

I have not tried anything else...I've had such good luck with the rislone that I haven't had any reason to.

I've left it in all our trannies. it saved the trans in our '94 legacy (couldn't get it into second when we got it....new gear oil with a quart of rislone, and it works again, and quite well!). and I used it in the lifted blue '88 I had for probably 20k miles or so....and it seemed to help a ton.