Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey,

I have a 1993 subaru impreza and when I started it just now, it turned on for a second and shut off immediately. It will not idle at all unless I step on the gas. I think it may be something with the fuel injection but im not sure. I bought some fuel injection cleaner and put it into the gas tank but that didnt do anything to help the situation. Does anyone have any knowledge on what is causing this and how to fix it? I would greatly appreciate any comment's on this topic. Hope to hear from you soon cause I can't be with out a car for long!!!

The lights do come on after the car stalls out. Where is the fuel filter located? Can I get that at the auto part store? Sorry for my ignorance I am new to all this but need to get my car back up and running asap! Thanks again for all your help!!

The fuel filter is in a round canister about the size of a soup can on the driver's side, behind the battery. There should be...I think 3 hoses...connected to it. Any auto parts store should have the filter. The CEL should always be on if the car is not running but switch is on. Still wouldn't hurt to check the codes, though.

Hey sorry to bother you again but I was wondering what you meant by this "The CEL should always be on if the car is not running but switch is on. Still wouldn't hurt to check the codes, though."

Is there a certain code I should be aware of electrically?

Check and make sure the big vacum line that goes to the Idle air control valve is connected. You will find one end under the air filter tube.

Hey sorry to bother you again but I was wondering what you meant by this "The CEL should always be on if the car is not running but switch is on. Still wouldn't hurt to check the codes, though."

I was able to change the fuel filter no problem like you guys said. However, when I start the car it will only idle if I step on the gas other then that it continues to shut off immediately! What other potential problems can I look for in order to fix this problem? Thanks again for all your help and support!!

If the car is not running but the switch is on, the computer tests all of the warning lights, including the CEL. As far as I know, it will do this if the car has shut off, as well as before you start it. Sorry 'bout that. No specific codes I can think of.

i had my oil changed at firestone and when i got in to leave it would not idle. i looked under the air intake between the filter box and the throtle body and found a vacuum line hanging loose. it's unsettling to pay for service only to realize the idots either don't know better or don't care. how could he back it out of the shop with it running so bad.

check under the air intake for loose hoses!!!

I did recently replace the air filter! I will check for that and see what happens!! I can't thank you guys enough for your support!! I will post my results!!

ok cool. I went out last night and checked but due to lack of knowledge and it getting dark I was unable to find any loose hoses. However I am going back out to the car now to go and check for that again! Hopefully I will have better luck. Part of the problem is that I lack all kinds of knowledge for example, I dont know what the throttle body is or where to look for it. I tried to look around the air box but im not 100% sure that is correct. Nonetheless I did not see any loose hose. I will post my results. Thanks again everyone!!!

At the back off the engine near the center at the top their is a black box, it has an accordian looking thing running to the air filter box under this accordian looking thing near the center is a place for a hose about 1/2 or 5/8 to push on to, no clamps on it. From here it runs down toward the center of engine if one end is off, the car will start and then die just like you say yours is doing. At least this is the way my Legacy is set up maybe your car is close to the same.

ok cool. I went out last night and checked but due to lack of knowledge and it getting dark I was unable to find any loose hoses. However I am going back out to the car now to go and check for that again! Hopefully I will have better luck. Part of the problem is that I lack all kinds of knowledge for example, I dont know what the throttle body is or where to look for it. I tried to look around the air box but im not 100% sure that is correct. Nonetheless I did not see any loose hose. I will post my results. Thanks again everyone!!!

If you can keep the car running by keeping gas pedal pushed, this may not be the problem because when the line is off on mine it willl ussualy die anyway. I would then spray some carb. cleaner in that line or clean the Idle air control valve. You can do a search on idle air control valve and find out how to clean it.

At the back off the engine near the center at the top their is a black box, it has an accordian looking thing running to the air filter box under this accordian looking thing near the center is a place for a hose about 1/2 or 5/8 to push on to, no clamps on it. From here it runs down toward the center of engine if one end is off, the car will start and then die just like you say yours is doing. At least this is the way my Legacy is set up maybe your car is close to the same.

Attached is a picture of the hose which TC is referring too. The hose in question is the one with the text on it. Also, make sure that the airbox is properly seated. 90% of the time I have to re-do it when someone else removes the top. The best way to do it is to loosen the clamp and remove the hose where it meets the airbox in line with the Intake. Then you have the freedom to seat it easily, without putting alot of stress on the attached components.

BTW, this HAS to be a vacuum issue.

post-11950-136027617625_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for all your continued support however I just came back from checking the hoses and everything seems to be in order in that department. I noticed though when I did try to start the car and gave it gas, I gradually let my foot off the gas and the car idled by itself at like 200rpm and it shook pretty badly however I let it run like that for about 5 minutes before I shut it off! Is there a possibility that it is still a hose problem?

Thanks again for all your continued support however I just came back from checking the hoses and everything seems to be in order in that department. I noticed though when I did try to start the car and gave it gas, I gradually let my foot off the gas and the car idled by itself at like 200rpm and it shook pretty badly however I let it run like that for about 5 minutes before I shut it off! Is there a possibility that it is still a hose problem?

I wonder if your timing belt is going bad? It's worth a check, easy to pul a cover.

It does have 207 K miles and I dont have any history on the car so it could very well be the belt. How do I check to see if that is the problem? Also how would I clean out the idle air control valve?

Thinking you would not be seeing any of your belts turning if it's shot. Sounds like either way at 207K with no maintenance history, it's about time for a new one.

As far as cleaning out the IACV, here is the LINK. Could be wrong, but if the IACV was having issues, you'd have been experiencing Idle problems before now. I'd be sure to check your Air box. Like I said, remove the hose from the intake at the 2nd resonator air intake box and resecure it. Make sure you reconnect the hose to the PCV on the bottom of the 1st resonator intake. This sounds too much like a vacuum issue though.

Also how would I clean out the idle air control valve?

Was going to suggest you search but, wow, that pulls up a lot of vaguely related stuff!

Here are a coupla' threads that may help.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40494

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34734

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33198

Good luck.

Thinking you would not be seeing any of your belts turning if it's shot.
If the timing belt was broken, the engine wouldn't be running. However, a worn timing belt and/or loose tensioner might result in a slip in position of a tooth or two, which in turn could result in a very poorly running engine.

Sounds like either way at 207K with no maintenance history, it's about time for a new one.
Agreed.

[...]This sounds too much like a vacuum issue though.
Well, it does sound like a possible mixture problem, but whether it's excessive air (due to a vacuum leak) or something else (IACV, etc.) can't be easily determined with the info we have. I do tend to think about problems near any part that was recently worked on, so a vacuum hose being dislodged is certainly a reasonable thing to consider.

Since the air filter was recently replaced, I'm wondering about the MAF sensor, which is in the area. Connector to it?

Out of curiosity, what air filter (brand) was used?

Does the engine sound and "feel" relatively normal if you give it gas and get the RPM to usual idle speed? (I'm wondering about the TPS.)

Hey guys, I was able to fix the problem and get my impreza back on the road just now!! I did just what you said LAWSONMH15 and low and behold she started up perfectly!!! No problems! THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP AND PATIENCE!!! I appreciate it more then you could know!!!

Kukliani

Hey guys, I was able to fix the problem and get my impreza back on the road just now!! I did just what you said LAWSONMH15 and low and behold she started up perfectly!!![...]

Great that you're back on the road, kukliani. Lawsonmh15 made a few suggestions; would you tell us which was the solution to your problem?