Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lighting

labatt13

A few topics on lights in one thread:

Years ago I had an old BMW 320i and subscribed to a mag called European Car. One of the issues had a lighting comparison guide of all driving and fog lights. Well all major lamps on the market at that time. Well I was wondering if any of you have seen anything like this?

I have been looking at the high dollar lamps and if I ever fork out the money for a pair I want the absolute best.

CHEAP METHOD?

Now if I go cheap what would you suggest? I was looking at generics on ebay and medium priced items like KC lites, etc. Any size suggestion? I have a push bar/light bar on my GL and I think I could fit 4 lampos side by side but would it help much more than two?

Placement:

Like i said I have a light bar, but I was very interested in possible placement near the sideview mirrors. I saw it on the old GL rally car up to safarai impreza. I never thought about it but I think it would light up a very good area. Anyway I forgot what I read on install instructions time and time again about x inches from ground etc but I want the most effective for dirt road/back road high speed. So suggestions please.

YELLOW:

I have used Hella Yellow Stars for years. I think they are terrible LOL but in the rain and snow I like think they help. I have a very difficult time in the rain when driving on tar versus cement mixture roads and the standard white light just doesn't cut it. I was curious to know experiences of using yellow bulbs,films in both headlights and fogs/driving.

Anything else in relation feel free to blab away :)

hella optilux has a basic combination driving/fog lights (2 bulbs, 2 diffusers, one case!) that's pretty cheap considering it's 2 pairs of lights, and all required wiring!

I got mine from JCWhitney:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2003770/p-2003770/N-111+10201+600002818/c-10101

heres how they were on my '85 (even though that bumper/grill is now on my loyale):

PICT1432.jpg

and, you can easily get 2 radioshack rocker switches, and wire each pair of lights to it's own circuit, which also allows you to turn on both pairs at once! that's 4 55w bulbs in those 2 little packages!

I'm going with Hella 500's available in drivng light and yellow or white fogs. At $75 pair I think they're the best bang for the buck if you're into that big round rally style. I plan on having 2 fogs on the front bumper and two driving lamps on the roof for "off road use only" Since I don't actually have them yet this is all speculation of course. I did have KC Daylighters on a ride years ago and they were rediculously bright. They do have that cool chrome old school look which may suit some rigs well.

Chim

How do you like that location for lighting? I always thought it would help light up the sides very well. Also always see it on safari rally preped cars.

24205wj6.jpg

it's acculy kinda nice, i had light in the roof of my last car but it kinda added a glare on the windshield, where ther mounted now the light stays in front of me, adds small blind spots tho, but with a lift i coulnd't see the ground there anyway.

~CHIM~

Like Andyjo..Lightforce striker rmdl 170's ...100watts of focusable power....of course I have some PIAA 520 fogs as well ....

Speaking of beamers....this young punk kid with a 525 flashed his hi beams at me from behind after I passed him ...so I obliged slowed down let him pass and "beamed" him with this....Let's just say he had the daylight beaten out of him...bet he'll never flash an outback again....ROLMFA...:grin: also when ur brushing in thick stuff like this...or snow covers your headlamps.

sundaycruise009.jpg

allgunsblazin.jpg

P1010033a.jpg