Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driving on Ice/Snow

labatt13

I was just reading some rally school site and saw this:

Recently, while descending a slick three mile hill, I braked to slow and slid sideways across the oncoming traffic lane. My knee jerk reaction was to shift to lower gear to regain control. Your training helped me overcome my incorrect intuitive response and accelerate to regain grip first, then slow down via braking.

So I was thinking ok if you lost traction lk en the case above and the potential was there to regain traction via acceleration. At what torque do you want going to the wheels? After reading above I was think bare minimum. So would I be correct in say if at the time of traction loss you were in 2nd gear at 30mph at say 2800 rpm would you want to shift into 4th before acceleration to attempt to regain traction?

driving on ice and snow.. keep the pedal on the floor, and keep the car sideways.... easiest way to drive..

but yea, I'd say 3rd gear. 2800 rpm, you dont have much engine rpm, going to 3rd is gonna bring it down to 2250 or so, should be enough to grab.

It seems that this is different whether front or AWD or rear wheel drive. If rear wheel drive, it seems downshifting could help, because it would free up the front wheels to steer again instead of braking. Unless you are already sideways, in which case your front wheels could be your back wheels.... ?

In my BAJA, I have always thrown it quickly into neutral, and she will straighten right out. THEN shift down one gear, and that provides better grab to slow down, than just using brakes........in my experience anyways.:D

i've done something similar..but instead of putting it in neutral,i just clutched.

Yea, thats prolly the worst thing you would want to do. If it did work then be happy it did, but learn to drive correctly. Its basic logic, when you're in neutral the tires have no power/control, hence the reason you go around a dry corner in gear. Same applies for the snow/ice.

I know in personal experience that I lost control when in N. I was shifting very slowly because of a 2nd gear grind, So while the clutch was down my car got completely sideways, shifted into 2nd and regained control.

i was always taught in snow to downshift rather than using the brakes, especially going downhill in icy conditions.

yup,same here..use the engine speed to slow down.

If you do find yourself introuble, i was always read that with subaru AWD...use the throttle and steer accordingly.

i've done that acouple times and found myself doing a straight drift(normally your going around a corner when you drift,not this time) for about 20-30ft...all the time scaring the sh*& out of my passengers.:lol:

and was that fun..:D

I think the point is being missed that the OP had already tried to slow too quickly and lost traction......at that point, downsifting will only be worse. Adding throttle will speed the wheels up hopefully to the point of regaining traction so that the driver can reattempt to slow down. Obviously you wanna do this before you're totally sideways....and just along for the ride.

I wasn't there.....couldn't say for sure what the OP shoulda done....but the rally advice has at least some merit to it, if the OP got the advice worded correctly to begin with.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

:-\ Could someone be so kind as to share the link to the original site....?

Sideways in this case sounds like a true 180* range of angle not just goofing with 30-40* acceleration slides. Would like to see the article... a lot of factors to consider... Wheel drive definitely also steering wheel/tire position...

Interested as I will need a bit of Science (and then some!) to accomplish certain unthought/unheard of goals in this season's cold events;) ; Sincerely,

1989 Subaru JUSTY RS 4WD

121, 009 miles