Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rx pictures

IMG_1132.JPG

If you move your charcoal canister to the other side you can relocate the air filter right behind the headlight. take the headlight out at the track and get lots of fresh, cool air. I also have a Saab 900 intercooler setup with a cooling fan from a GSX-r750 motorcycle on it but I need to fashion up some brackets to hold it all in place.

I forgot to mention that I got this car for free. The catalytic converters were clogged and the previous owner bought a new car. Apparently he was going to have to pay to get it towed away from where it finally died on him and didn't want to spend the money to fix it, so he said I could just have it. I buffed it for like 2 days and went from a finish like a piece of paper to a very nice gloss, gutted the cats, and I've been driving it since. I put on 2wd front shocks, 195/60 13 sumitomo htr-200, msd blaster 2 coil, and all of the stereo stuff. I wouldn't have known to do most of the things I've done without all of the information on this forum, thanks to all of you guys.

195/60 huh?? thanks, ive been wondering about departing a little more from factory spec (not THAT much) and i havent posted anything yet.. but hearing that tells me that going a little more wider than stock than i am (read it again it makes sense) wont be any problem.. right now i run 185-70s.. not too much difference but i felt it. ill try for some 185-60 or 195-70 next time... i dont know what kind of tire sizes aer common and not in 13" so i'll see what i get when i go to get em, but i know i cant go too wrong, if youre running those.:banana:

nice lookin car BTW, i cant believe it was "free" like that. could never happen to me.:rolleyes:

I have a friend with a super 16g that he was using on his corvair...looks like overkill. It would seem to me that turning up the boost could seriously damage my engine. From some of the posts on this forum everyone that turns it up eventually has problems. This is my daily driver and I deliver pizzas in it, if it breaks I'm stuck driving an MGB every day. Anyone who thinks an ea82t is problematic should battle with some old british cars. I once saw a t-shirt that said "If LUCAS made guns, there would be no war". I don't want to break the subaru, but as soon as I have something different to daily drive, it will be big turbo/big boost time. No BS...It will happen.

dude relocate your charcoal canister so that you can get that air filter right behind the headlight. Take the light out at the track and you get lots of fresh air. I don't know how much of a difference this made on my car but you might get a serious performance gain with fresh outside air compared to the hot air in your engine compartment. Check out my picture, I just moved the canister bracket to the other side. Plus, if you take out the light people look in there and all they see is the filter...might strike fear into the hearts of civic and miata drivers at the autocross.

dude relocate your charcoal canister so that you can get that air filter right behind the headlight. Take the light out at the track and you get lots of fresh air. I don't know how much of a difference this made on my car but you might get a serious performance gain with fresh outside air compared to the hot air in your engine compartment. Check out my picture, I just moved the canister bracket to the other side. Plus, if you take out the light people look in there and all they see is the filter...might strike fear into the hearts of civic and miata drivers at the autocross.

i actually get cool air right there, at least i should be, there is no fender liner and there is a big hole cut through the fender for the intercooler pipes.

im actually making more power right now tha the clutch likes :( the temps dropped after it stopped raining last night and the car was a beast, then the clutch said no more.

On a turbocharged car, the intake air isnt going to matter much. As soon as it passes through the turbo, its gonna be hot as fck! Also, with your canister out of the way, and your intake pipe bent like that, you run the risk of breaking the intake pipe. Ive already been through one with my setup. I ended up buying a shorter filter and putting the intake pipe in the stock location.

And even tho your saab 900 IC has metal ends, the mounting brackets should be the same. I doubt they changed the saab's chassi when they changed to metal IC's.

-Brian

On a turbocharged car, the intake air isnt going to matter much. As soon as it passes through the turbo, its gonna be hot as fck!

Hmmm. There is no question that the turbo will heat the air significantly above ambient temp, but it doesn't simply raise it to a specific amount based on set boost and turbo specs. The lower the incoming ambient air temperature the lower the intake temps will be. Making the job easier for your intercooler by providing as cool an air filter location as possible is time worth spending. It is also usually less expensive...at least than a bigger intercooler, water injection etc... Little gains add up.

That's a sweet RX. I have wanted one forever, but CA smog laws would make it not too fun I imagine.

As far as removing your headlight and such for colder air on a turbo car - seriously, especially with an intercooler, it won't make a differece. Go get a cheap digital thermometer with the in/out and the sensor on a wire and prove me wrong. :)