Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Low Gas Mileage 2001 Forester

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Nip,

Who was it that chased bad mileage in a similar Forester for about a year? I don't remember him ever finding the solution.

i dont rember ill try to hunt it down. i dont hink he did either. i would suggest either buying the scangauge from ebay, or install a vacume gauge and drive by keeping the needle as high as possible.

nipper

this is also interesting that she has another Forester that gets much better mileage. I would not think the automatic would make that much difference, maybe a MPG or so.

its only 2-3 mpg differnce between the two. ld love to see a real time code reader on both of them and take side by side data points, including GPH rates and MAP senor readings.

Do they both have the same tire brand?

nipper

But she spends a lot of time driving around town. A deflect could hurt highway but would not make a lot of diff around town. It looks like you and I are the only ones interested in this Nip.

I recently put both front and rear deflectors on my Forester, I have not noticed (With mixed driving)any fuel mileage change whatsoever; It sure is nice to have a clean back window.

John

How are you measuring the fuel? you need to measure by what you put in the tank.

If your gauge is off chevron has a additive that cleans gas gauges. It works really well.

Next is the o2 sensors, and make sure none of your brakes are dragging. You may think about a set of plugs.

nipper

Dear All: The little green monster is having these things done today:

No codes were evident of a problem...but the spark plugs were horrible and they are being replaced. Also, they say the throttle body is really bad and needs cleaned...the tail pipe exhaust system is rattling and needs to be fixed (although they said this doesn't affect mileage) the power steering is really dark and needs to be flushed...and the radiator hoses are looking bad and they are changing them. They also suggest a higher octane gas like 89...and we should see some significant improvement...will let you know when we get her back and go through a tank or two...Thanks to everyone...this car has had alot of things fixed since we got her and I am hoping that with this, can go another few years:D

at least you are getting hosed with new hoses:rolleyes:

Yeah, I can't believe the prices for what I thought were really easy things like spark plugs, hoses, cleaning things...but since I don't do those things and I can only hope they are being cool about it...I am going to just "put it out in the universe" and go for a road trip soon...probably have to go camping after this round of repairs...no hyatt in my future..:-\

Let us know how it works out. The members will respond to questions so that even if you don't want to get down and dirty with the Subaru, at least you will be an informed consumer. Good luck.

Yeah, I can't believe the prices for what I thought were really easy things like spark plugs, hoses, cleaning things...but since I don't do those things and I can only hope they are being cool about it...I am going to just "put it out in the universe" and go for a road trip soon...probably have to go camping after this round of repairs...no hyatt in my future..:-\

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Matt: Well, we are waiting to fill up the tank...have gone at this point 190 miles 3/4 of a tank. Spent $417 on a laundry list of stuff including new spark plugs a new trottle body 2 new radiator hoses (original ones still on at 129,000 miles kinda freaked out the mechanics) rebuilt the exhaust insulators inside (rattled like crazy) and flushed the power steering fluid. No codes came for sensors like the o2. it runs really well right now...I think especially because of the throttle not hesitating anymore but don't really know about the mileage yet...I was kinda shocked at $100 for changing the spark plugs alone...I guess you have to remove alot of things to get to them? Any way the parts were about $90 bucks and the labor was the rest...I'll let you know when the tank gets filled up...thanks for checking up...:confused:

...I was kinda shocked at $100 for changing the spark plugs alone...I guess you have to remove alot of things to get to them? Any way the parts were about $90 bucks and the labor was the rest...

:confused:

merchant tire in va quoted 250$ for plugs and wires replacement. wires were 96$ plugs 10$(?) labor 150$ @ 75/78 per hour. i think this was "retail plus".

Dear Matt: Well, we are waiting to fill up the tank...have gone at this point 190 miles 3/4 of a tank. Spent $417 on a laundry list of stuff including new spark plugs a new trottle body 2 new radiator hoses (original ones still on at 129,000 miles kinda freaked out the mechanics) rebuilt the exhaust insulators inside (rattled like crazy) and flushed the power steering fluid. No codes came for sensors like the o2. it runs really well right now...I think especially because of the throttle not hesitating anymore but don't really know about the mileage yet...I was kinda shocked at $100 for changing the spark plugs alone...I guess you have to remove alot of things to get to them? Any way the parts were about $90 bucks and the labor was the rest...I'll let you know when the tank gets filled up...thanks for checking up...:confused:

Sounds like your mileage is right on the money; At 3/4 tank 190 miles is exactly where my Forester normaly would be.

John

[...]At 3/4 tank 190 miles is exactly where my Forester normaly would be.

Which hopefully indicates that the fuel gauge, like many, is inaccurate. 3/4 of a tank is about 12 gallons; going 190 miles on that results in less than 16 mpg. Even city or local driving should yield at least 19 mpg, assuming properly inflated tires and reasonable driving.

As has been mentioned before, it would be best to wait for a mileage determination based on a tank refill or 2, 3 or more of them.

Which hopefully indicates that the fuel gauge, like many, is inaccurate. 3/4 of a tank is about 12 gallons; going 190 miles on that results in less than 16 mpg. Even city or local driving should yield at least 19 mpg, assuming properly inflated tires and reasonable driving.

As has been mentioned before, it would be best to wait for a mileage determination based on a tank refill or 2, 3 or more of them.

Indeed I usually have 5-6 gallons left, though the trusty gage says 1/4 tank.

John

Well, the little green monster ate 11.9 gallons for 209 miles. I figure that to be about 17.5 miles per gallon which isn't the best. Still, the work was done on it about during this tank so the next go around or two should tell the real story. I did just fill it with 89 octane tonight. We'll see if that makes a difference too. See ya in about 200 miles ya'll.:o

Well, the little green monster ate 11.9 gallons for 209 miles. I figure that to be about 17.5 miles per gallon which isn't the best. Still, the work was done on it about during this tank so the next go around or two should tell the real story. I did just fill it with 89 octane tonight. We'll see if that makes a difference too. See ya in about 200 miles ya'll.:o

thats not bad as a baseline. You have a green brick. My outback got 19 when i first got it, now its up to 21 as ive adjusted my habits

nipper