Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Catalytic Converter on 95 Legacy Wagon

Hi all,

The rear cat on my 95 Legacy wagon cracked. I took it to my regular mechanic, who is still learning his way around Subarus. He told me that my car is built to California emissions standards, even though it was bought new in Delaware. He said the ONLY place to get a cat is from the dealer, for $420, with a total estimate of $580 if the oxygen sensor comes out without breaking. $720 if he has to replace the oxygen sensor. This sounds outrageously high to me.

He says that you can't use the non-California cat, as the sizes are not the same.

Is he talking PURE bull? The numbers just sound outrageous to me.

Is it true that a generic cat will not fit or work?

Is there something that I can do that is MUCH less expensive?

PLEASE help!

Some number of states now require 'California emissions' so that is probably true. I don't know if the cats for federal and CA emissions are different. Generic cats aren't always the best even if you can find one; cats are expensive because they have platinum or palladium or something in there as the catalyst which is 'spensive.

Another option could be a salvage yard. Sometimes emissions components are required to be warranted for 100k miles or something, but I don't know if that would cover the crack.

Can someone recommend a good independent Subaru mechanic in my area (19380)? This guy is apparently just going by what the book says are the part numbers.

Also, can the shell of the cat be repaired?

Would a "generic" cat have a boss for the oxygen sensor?

This place:

http://www.convertergeek.com/content.wws?fname=california.html&cookieID=1W8180KIR1W8182IGI&clientid=convertergeek

claims to sell certified cats for CA.

I'd call Concordville, Rafferty or Matt Slap Subaru and talk to someone in the parts department about the differences in the rear cat. Tell them what you know and that you're thinking of doing it yourself and ask what, if any difference there would be between the 2 cats.

You might find that you can use the 49 state converter or ta least you'll get better facts.

I don't know about West Chester, but in my neck of the PA woods (that's redundant isn't it), it's all about OBDII. You could be belching anything out of your exhaust pipe but as long as OBDII (Big Brother) doesn't know it you are golden as far as an "emmissions" sticker goes. Great system, aint it?

that's what i thought. so as far as inspection goes, as long as the computer is happy, it doesn't matter what cat you have. go to the salvage yard.

I don't know about West Chester, but in my neck of the PA woods (that's redundant isn't it), it's all about OBDII. You could be belching anything out of your exhaust pipe but as long as OBDII (Big Brother) doesn't know it you are golden as far as an "emmissions" sticker goes. Great system, aint it?

Well, I finally got to actually see the damage. The pipe leading out of the rear cat is broken right where it leaves the cat. There is some spring loaded connection right after the break.

A local muffler shop had a generic cat that they could weld a bung in for the oxygen sensor. They would then have welded in a peice of "flex pipe" to replace the spring loaded connection, which is rusted.

They want $450 to do this, which is better than the $600 estimate from local mechanic.

Any thoughts?

Well, I finally got to actually see the damage. The pipe leading out of the rear cat is broken right where it leaves the cat. There is some spring loaded connection right after the break.

A local muffler shop had a generic cat that they could weld a bung in for the oxygen sensor. They would then have welded in a peice of "flex pipe" to replace the spring loaded connection, which is rusted.

They want $450 to do this, which is better than the $600 estimate from local mechanic.

Any thoughts?

i dont like it. The factory set up lasts for alomost the life of the car. depending upon how long you want this car to last is up to you. That spring loaded thing is the flex joint for the exhaust system.

http://www.ecatalyticconverter.com/

nipper

do a search. i remember reading on this site a few months ago several people complaining about "Eastern" brand converters, instead recommending "Walker" brand.

i always use walker pipes if im doing it myself. The cats i got from JC WHitney were walker.

nipper

I recently had my exhaust break in the same place. Got all kinds of outrageous quotes from dealer and aftermarket ($400-650). I had about given up when I remembered that I hadn't checked with the local NAPA store. They had it in stock and it was only 200 bucks. My subie is a 91 wagon and does not have the rear o2 sensor like yours, but its worth a check to see if they have it for that cheap.