Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Damaged Dashboard?

Subaru Freaks,

I was wondering how many of you have damaged dashes in your car; brat, EA81, 82, anything? When i am talking damage i mean like cracks, dings tears? Post a pic of your dash. I have talked to a few people that cannot find replacement dashes and want to produce a few.

I have my dash out of the brat 84 EA-81 and I was wondering if anyone needs a repro dash for their EA. If anyone has pulled the dash from their brat they know that this is a big pain. So, I plan on making it so it will slip directly over your current dash with very little disassembly for the install. It will be built of high temp fiberglass and either come precovered with vinyl or primered for paint. Tell me what you think. Thanks

car5.jpg

cracked2.jpg

Yes - but they didn't make those covers for Gen 2's. Which oddly enough are the more popular of the two.

All the EA81 GL's use the same dash so if you produce covers they would probably be pretty popular.

What would the price look like? It's not impossible still to find uncracked dashes, but if the product looked reasonable, and wasn't priced out of this world you could certainly have a lot of folks looking for them. I would probably go for one just to have around for later....

GD

I've taken the dashes out of an '83 GL wagon and an '86 GL hatch...it's a ROYAL pain in the backside. I recovered my '86 dash with camo fabric...looks real sweet and as for the cracks and holes, I used thin cardboard from a shoe box that filled in the spots evenly...can't tell the dash was ever in bad shape and the fabric and spray adh total cost was under $12...I just so happen to know my way around a sewing machine so I also made matching sunvisor covers and covered the arm rest with the left ofer scraps...I went and got some more of the same camo fabric for a little over $3 so I can do the roof liner to match. will put some pics up as soon as I can get some.

Lucas

I've taken the EA81 dashes out, and while it is a bit time consuming, once you know where the bolts are it's not all that bad. I can take out a "donor" dash from a parts car in 30 minutes or so.... of course that's not being all that gentle to the surroundings. Once you remove the steering column it's not so bad.

GD

Ive seen EA81's in the junkyard with dash covers, so i know somebody makes them.

-Brian

Hhhmmm - interesting. I've only ever seen the Gen 1 stuff myself. I'm betting that they are out of production (as the Gen 1 covers are too).

I've seen the carpet covers. Those don't look too bad, and are relatively cheap.

GD

Ive seen EA81's in the junkyard with dash covers, so i know somebody makes them.
like this?

interior.jpg

Very commen here in Australia. They don't cost too much to get custom made either

My dash looks shocking under that mate. Personally, I don't care.

Hmm, I need to update that picture... Got some more goodies in there now.

Edit: heres a couple more

file:///D:/My%20Documents/My%20Site/frog%20pond%20subaru/images/subaru_glovebox_radio_amp5.jpg

file:///D:/My%20Documents/My%20Site/frog%20pond%20subaru/images/center_console_finshed_product1_subaru_brumby.jpg

Putting in a digital ammeter next, under the choke control. :)