Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 Outback H6 Sedan - Looking to replace the Bridgestone Potenzas.

I have heard that buying tires for AWD vehicles is different than a regular vehicle.?.

Qualities in tire that I am looking for,

In this order:

Rain/Snow traction

Longevity

Comfort / ride / noise level

Speed rating

As you can see, I am not worried about cost.

I was thinking about Yokohama YK420 or Goodyear Assurance TripleTred.

Have YK420 on a Camry but it is NOT all wheel drive.

Any / All tire coments & opinions and/or suggestions appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

i scrapped the potenzas on my 05 xt obw and put a set of michelin pilot sport a/s on it. might be a bit more than you need, but i love them and havent looked back. i do plan on getting a set of steelies and maybe putting 4 blizzaks on it for the winter if we get a ton of snow. they are a reasonably priced decent snow tire from what ive heard.

Just yesterday I got 4 Kumho Solus tires from Tirerack.com after two sets of Dunlop A2 tires that were noisy and never came close to 60,000 mile rating (replace at 25K).

Kumhos are noticeably quieter and handle nicely.

Will have to wait a few months to speak about ice and snow performance but a few board members spoke highly of them and they were rated pretty well so for $65 each compared to $110 for the highly acclaimed BFG triple track, I thought I'd give them a try.

If you see me in a ditch this winter then go for the BFGs.

Rain, snow and ice are all different requirements. The Michelin Pilot A/S is the best performance all-season, most likely.

But once you add longevity, you're probably looking at the Goodyear TripleTred versus the Michelin HydroEdge. Couple of comparison tests (but without any snow testing) at: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/gy_assurance_c.jsp

The HydroEdge on my 97 had over 6/32nd tread depth when the car was sold - with 67,000 miles on them.

Here's the CR report. Please note that CR does not give consumers the raw data - just their scores. Amazing that magazines that take advertising publish the raw data, but "consumer oriented" CR will not, isn't it?

allseason05.jpg

Rain, snow and ice are all different requirements. The Michelin Pilot A/S is the best performance all-season, most likely.

But once you add longevity, you're probably looking at the Goodyear TripleTred versus the Michelin HydroEdge. Couple of comparison tests (but without any snow testing) at: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/gy_assurance_c.jsp

The HydroEdge on my 97 had over 6/32nd tread depth when the car was sold - with 67,000 miles on them.

Here's the CR report. Please note that CR does not give consumers the raw data - just their scores. Amazing that magazines that take advertising publish the raw data, but "consumer oriented" CR will not, isn't it?

allseason05.jpg

i've never been happy with CR reviews on automobiles or anything auto. They don't follow standard testing procedures or tests. They are good at appliances etc etc etc, but im convinced that honda or toyots can make a lemon and they would still praise it.

nipper

Triple Treds are almost universally praised, but in Dallas may be overkill. I'd definitely spring for a tire that can take heat though. But the little ice and almost non-existent snow we get will be taken care of by the AWD without worrying much about the tire;s snow performance.

Make sure the tires you do get are rotated at least every alternate oil change.

just my 2 cents

Carl

I'll just chime in to give my praise to the Yokohama Avid TRZ's that we are currently running for a summer tire. They have been great in all conditions, but are a little loud (which I don't mind at all). I bought them based on their rating and reviews on tirerack.com, though I purchased them locally. I think they are a great tire for the money. My experiences with several sets of Michelins has been high price and mediocre performance. This is my second set of Yokohamas and they are every bit as good as the Michelins for less money.

I haven't run them in the snow as we have four studded nokian hakka 1's for the winter. No hard-tread all-season tire has decent snow and ice performance, not by my definition of decent at least. Look at the ice braking column in that chart!!:eek:

<flame suit on>

I'll just chime in to give my praise to the Yokohama Avid TRZ's that we are currently running for a summer tire. ////

I may try them on one of our minivans as the HydroEdge is not available in the right size. Owners seem to be very happy with them, and they seemed to test well at tirerack as well.

If he's in Dallas I'd certainly favor tires that can take the heat and have good rain performance and not sweat the ice/snow too much.