Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok heres the info and questions

Subaru_Mechanic

ok for all you joker guys.

i took off my cat. and that was the problem. clogged like no other. so im not stupid, i was looking for more advise. and the carb.. its was sparkling clean, there was a set of pumps and the first ones mounting brackets were worn out, the pump affects the idle it had ajustment lines on it. thats fixed. and now i gotta drop the trans. clean the crap out of it and replace the throw out bering. so guys quit calling me young n dumb.:banana:

after this is fixed i have to do front axels. i might need some actual help there. altho its self explanitory i dont wanna mess up. (ive only serviced toyotas, they are a little different)

1. when i floor it, it bogs then it revs up. is it my exaust?

I think you carb needs some tlc.I would recomend checking the accelerator pump and completely go through the carb and replace the needle and seat as well as all of the gaskets and O-rings.Souns like it may have been sitting for a while and needs a little going over.

I agree with Jerry on the accelerator pump going bad. Also, EGR is located on the manifold behind the carb. Has a steel tube that runs from the back of the passenger side head, going into it. Take it off, be careful that you don't damage the gasket, clean out the intake where it bolts to and the EGR valve itself. Put it together and it should help a bit.

Sounds to me like you need to find a Subaru Mechanic.

The EGR valve is mounted to the intake manifold... on the backside, its big, you cant miss it.

That whining sound is most likely your throwout bearing, and if its to the point where your car starts to stall... then its a real bad throwout bearing.

And the bogging issue sounds like a vacuum leak. Im sure, since your a mechanic and all, that you know how to pinpoint vacuum leaks. ;)

-Brian

I think you might want to change your board name, doesn't sound like it fits.

hahaahaahahahaa... thats mean... i think its normal for a poorly adjusted carb to bogg when you floor it.. its because of the secondary(onlyone!) that dumps a serious amount of fuel all of the sudden into the engine! kinda like smothering than feeding for a split second... or is this more lengthy? :eek:

Its more like the secondary jet not being primed, and when the secondary opens... instead of fuel/air all you get is air.

-Brian

Exactly - the accelerator pump is there to smooth the transistion from primary to secondary. If it's not working, you bog down, then accelerate rapidly as the secondary finally kicks fuel in.

Some EA71's had EGR, and some did not. If it does, it would be in the back of the manifold as previously sugested - right behind the carb. They don't usually fail, and when they do they almost always fail closed (so you won't notice the failure).

Whining noise could be the clutch throwout bearing. It may have actually seized, and thus the tendancy to stall. If this is not remedied, the siezed (or soon to be siezed) bearing will wear right through the pressure plate fingers, and you will lose the use of the clutch, and have a nasty, rather expensive repair on your hands.

GD

so how do i know if the EGR failed? and now the carb is actin poppy or spitterin n sputterin. im guessin it needs to be cleaned. im thinkin about takin it in and putin it on the dyno for some hi-perfomance tuning. i found out that the floo pans were some what rusted out, so i fiber-glassed the crap outta them, i also pulled of my exhaust and replaced the rotten pipes now i just gotta get the front right CV axel set up, and replace the throw out bearing.

any one know a cheap way on going about these tasks:headbang: ?

Exactly - the accelerator pump is there to smooth the transistion from primary to secondary. If it's not working, you bog down, then accelerate rapidly as the secondary finally kicks fuel in.

Some EA71's had EGR, and some did not. If it does, it would be in the back of the manifold as previously sugested - right behind the carb. They don't usually fail, and when they do they almost always fail closed (so you won't notice the failure).

Whining noise could be the clutch throwout bearing. It may have actually seized, and thus the tendancy to stall. If this is not remedied, the siezed (or soon to be siezed) bearing will wear right through the pressure plate fingers, and you will lose the use of the clutch, and have a nasty, rather expensive repair on your hands.

GD

ehhh throwout bearing.. i dont think itll be expensive but... time consuming.... unless youve done it before, (manytimes) i know ive done it once, it can take a while.. shouldnt be too expensive though i mean come on.. these are subies... (cries at his $60.00 timing tensioners that are on their way!)

ehhh throwout bearing.. i dont think itll be expensive but... time consuming.... unless youve done it before, (manytimes) i know ive done it once, it can take a while.. shouldnt be too expensive though i mean come on.. these are subies... (cries at his $60.00 timing tensioners that are on their way!)

do you think ill be able to drop the tranny with out pulling the engine? and pull the Bearing off:confused: ?