Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• 2 weeks later...

I notice that in some of the newer owners manuals they don't post the wheel nut torque .. interesting! I would like to know what the minimum safe value is .. if any of you have wives or daughters that actually would attemp to change a flat you have to give them a chance .. or should you??? Also for alloy wheels all of the manuals emphasize that you recheck the torque .. is this a safety precaution or will this actually change after intial tightning? :slobber:

I notice that in some of the newer owners manuals they don't post the wheel nut torque .. interesting! I would like to know what the minimum safe value is .. if any of you have wives or daughters that actually would attemp to change a flat you have to give them a chance .. or should you??? Also for alloy wheels all of the manuals emphasize that you recheck the torque .. is this a safety precaution or will this actually change after intial tightning? :slobber:

I doubt anyoone can give a minimum safe value. I seem to use one of the lower numbers stated(65 ft/lbs) and have had no problems. Also, I was warned aboout re-torqueing my alloys, as well as taking a torque wrench to the track. If the nuts ever moved - it was too little to notice.

As a fatehr of 3 daughters, I can tell you that, even if they manage to have someone else change a wheel for them, its to your advantage to train them in the proper procedure beacuse some good samaritan can really mess up the studs or rims if they don't know what they're doing.

Also, if the car is ever parked in a 'questionable' neighborhood, checking the torque occasionally is a good idea because someone may have been interrupted trying to steal the wheels.

Carl

Just make sure they're not too tight. Some idiot at a garage...not my usual one.. did this. I couldn't brake them lose by hand. Had to take them into my regular garage, and even they had trouble braking them lose with an air wrench. Yeesh! I think it bent my rotors too, cause I've had that vibrating feeling when braking for quite a while now.