Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Found dead is it worth my time/$$

I found this is a bone yard near me.

97 OB 150 kmi. has normal title.

OBpasside.JPG

Other side is just as clean, needs a strut, may need a timing belts

(he says engine spins "kinda fast"), and the tranny needs a VSS.

Comes with the alloys and good tires.

Several board members in another post said it a 250 dollar car

(one said "free to $100")

Are they correct or is it worth 500?

Thanks for your input

Guest D1Driver

Who are the other boards kidding??? You could double your money by selling the parts alone. It's hard to say with certain though, unless you could get the wheels on and hear and drive it. It could have all sorts of majors, like transmission, differentials, etc. But the parts alone are easily worth that.

If you don't want it, let me know via a PM where it is. I would be interested in the wheels and the rear spoiler. Also a fog light, if they aren't broken already.

If you've got the time/space to wrench on it, and a source of spare parts, I'd say it's worth $500.

I picked my '97 OBW off the back row of a small town used car dealer, who ended up swapping in a '95 EJ22 for me. Final price, $4,000. 126k on the chassis.

Swap out the tranny, take a good look at the rest of the car, and do whatever work needs to be done on it. Then sell it, or keep it (there's something to be said for a car that doesn't have payments accompanying it).

If you do decide to part it out, though, you've got a line started already. I wouldn't mind the rear spoiler/dust deflector if D1Driver doesn't take it... along with the front grill, and that piece of trim that runs along the top of the hatch. Wouldn't mind a cargo cover, if it's got it too.

depends what you're looking for, what kind of time you have, what kind of time and money you want to put into it.

i wouldn't plan on the motor being good. that's alot of miles and time sitting for those 2.5 liter headgaskets and the engine is an interference engine so if the timing belt had issues that could be problematic as well.

price is up to you and what you want out of it. i wouldn't get it because i don't like all the unknowns and putting tons of work into a car. i wouldn't pay it, but even at $500 it's a good deal if you have the time. you could easily end up with a fine driving vehicle for not much money.

I found this is a bone yard near me.

97 OB 150 kmi. has normal title.

OBpasside.JPG

Other side is just as clean, needs a strut, may need a timing belts

(he says engine spins "kinda fast"), and the tranny needs a VSS.

Comes with the alloys and good tires.

Several board members in another post said it a 250 dollar car

(one said "free to $100")

Are they correct or is it worth 500?

Thanks for your input

From the looks of it, value wise it is definately worth every penny of what their asking. My two cents.

John

Easy decision if you have room and time!

If you parted, I'd buy some parts too. But the car looks too nice and clean to part out. I'd do a 2.2 swap.

It amazes me what a disposable society we live in. I shutter at the nice cars in salvage yards anymore.....repair costs have gone out of control I guess. It PAYS LOTS! to be able to do your own work!

Todd

Much depends on how much time you have. I used to love to buy cars with a blown engine as then after I rebuilt them I knew exactly what I had.

From the age I suspect it will be ready for suspension and brakes and maybe a tranny. Figure for the worst in you calcualtions.

small update

Vehicle is a one owner, heated seats, rear spoiler,

cargo cover is good, bolster on driver's chair needs repair.

All work since new, done at the shop connected to the bone yard.

Talked at length with the mechanic who did the service.

Has had a broken timing belt repair with all OEM parts about 30 kmi ago

(did bend some valves).

Timing belt is intact (cover loosened by mechanic to check this).

Has new brake pads and front rotors, new pads on rear.

No wheels or tires. But I have several sets of spares,

All struts look good. No leaks.

Needs a front hub (previously sold)

Transmission drives fine but needs VSS 1.

No coolant in the oil, no milkshake froth in the over flow.

Can't see coolant in rad filler neck (there was clean coolant in the overflow but it was not over full).

Squeezing the lower rad hose makes me think it low on coolant.

Maybe a head gasket blown into combustion chamber?

Now get this.

Boneyard owner wants to move it into a spce where I

can examine it better before closing the deal??

Tomorrw morning I'm taking wheels and tires down.

if it's one owner and all shop work done there, they should know why it's in the junk yard. i'd wonder why all that work was done and there it sets?

but even if you had to put an engine in it, that's not a terrible deal. ask for a good deal on a 2.2 or 2.5 he may have in the yard to go with the car...use that as leverage.

The mech said the owners did not want to put any more money in it.

Guess they have paid him to do all the recent brake work ect.

Plus the head job and....

It is the only Legacy in the yard (small town, old time yard)

They are willing to help with the missing part (front hub and BJ)

Anybody know if a 94 hub will work?

I can do an engine swap in a weekend with 1 other person. Skip seems to know his stuff, so he should be able to handle any job it might take to make good. $500 is an awesome price for a car like that. If it was a VW, I wouldn't touch it. But a subaru without collision damage and a clean title? TOTALLY WORTH IT.

I say no more than $350. That way it is a good deal for them and you. There will be more work than you think on this one and you don't want to sink to much into it.

I bought two like it. Both needed HG's, but they ran, were complete and had no other outstanding issues. I paid $650 for one and $725 for the other.

My two cents